Texas Fishing Forum

Big Old Male Blue Catfish?

Posted By: Chris Richardson

Big Old Male Blue Catfish? - 01/15/18 07:45 PM

We caught our first fish over 50 pounds on Lake Livingston Saturday. I'm guessing it was a big male because its head was very muscular and much larger, plus it had a very dark blue color. This fish must have been very old. It was blind in one eye and its fins had almost deteriorated down to nothing. Other than that the fish appeared to be very healthy and put up a good fight. Do you guys know how big the males get? Catching a male this big gives me hope that there are some giant females in the lake.

Posted By: Capt. Michael Littlejohn

Re: Big Old Male Blue Catfish? - 01/15/18 08:19 PM

Chris… Look at the head. If the head is way out of proportion to the body then it is a male. The males have a 60 pound head on a 30 pound body, LOL

Color should not matter.
Posted By: Chris Richardson

Re: Big Old Male Blue Catfish? - 01/15/18 08:59 PM

Yeah that head really fooled me when I saw it come up. I thought we had a monster lol. Look at this sickly looking big headed male we doubled up next to a big fat female. Similar head and less than half the weight. Maybe its just coincidence but all the males we've caught have been noticeably darker.

Now I see why y'all get all worked up over these catfish every year, this stuff is fun! The vacuum they must pull to make the rod tip jump followed by the big load up has me hopping around the boat like a little kid. grin grin banana

Posted By: Capt. Michael Littlejohn

Re: Big Old Male Blue Catfish? - 01/15/18 09:24 PM

Ain’t nothing like it...we guide in the salt both inshore and offshore and I’ve yet to have customers get as excited as they do landing a big blue.
Posted By: DEWAYNE BULLARD

Re: Big Old Male Blue Catfish? - 01/16/18 12:07 AM

Nice going Chris . Once you get the fever you are done I all but quit deer hunting because of it.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Big Old Male Blue Catfish? - 01/16/18 01:05 AM

Nice fish. Good job. cheers
Posted By: Littlefeather

Re: Big Old Male Blue Catfish? - 01/16/18 02:07 PM

Man you guys are really bending that learning curve the right way!!! Congrats on all the good fish!!
Posted By: Pwizzle89

Re: Big Old Male Blue Catfish? - 01/31/18 07:45 PM

beast!
Posted By: Pot licker

Re: Big Old Male Blue Catfish? - 02/03/18 08:16 AM

Awesome!!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum