Texas Fishing Forum

Captains Cove Thieves

Posted By: ETX_Chad

Captains Cove Thieves - 01/14/18 01:06 PM

Got to my slip at Captains Cove on Ray Hubbard to discover my battery had been stolen from the boat!! I've had cast nets and poles stolen but didn't think someone would be brazen enough to remove the battery from a boat stored in a slip that is supposed to be monitored by security. Is this common?

Any tips on how to protect against this? (Locks or something?)
Any tips on better marinas on Ray Hubbard?
Posted By: kodys'papa

Re: Captains Cove Thieves - 01/14/18 03:06 PM

Hate to hear that
I have watched a lot of "security camera" videos in my day. A lot of the time, all you get is a really bad image of people stealing your really nice stuff.
I suppose you could come up with a locking bracket but the fix may cost more than a battery.
A few years back, a crew got caught stealing from docks at tawakoni and fork. They worked from a bass boat and we're always "flipping" the boat slips until they spotted something they wanted and of course, they worked at night.
Find out from the owner if anyone else was hit, file a report. I now have a camera on my boat/slip
Posted By: Catfish Lynn

Re: Captains Cove Thieves - 01/14/18 05:38 PM

I had my Dad's 1962 Sears Elgin flat bottom chained to a really big oak at the 2nd bridge 1.5 miles down the highway from the house here. I had been doing this at the 2nd & 3rd bridge since about 1980 (or 1979). Never had a problem except somebody stole my fish box I had staked out underwater under the 3rd bridge. Brand new 3/8 chain, new Master lock. Drove over the bridge one day & looked over to see it was nowhere in sight. Boat, chain & lock gone. Filed a report with the Sheriff's office. I even walked up & down the river to make sure somebody had not taken it joyriding. A year or so went by & I got a letter from the sheriff's office that asked if I wished to drop the investigation. I guess they just wanted to clear their case logs, since it had not surfaced yet. I always made sure I parked & locked it in sight to one side of the bridge, so it was visible to where somebody could see if it was being moved (removed).

Not sure if they have come up with a cheap tracking to device to plant on certain items.
Posted By: DEWAYNE BULLARD

Re: Captains Cove Thieves - 01/14/18 11:27 PM

I had it happen on Livingston at my parents, 3 batteries and a 7 ft. bait buster cast net. A few years before had about 700.00 worth of rod and reels stolen and had left them on the pontoon hanging in the slip for 15 or 20 years before.
Posted By: robert gilbert

Re: Captains Cove Thieves - 01/26/18 02:53 AM

Im at captains cove. What dock are you on?
Posted By: ETX_Chad

Re: Captains Cove Thieves - 01/27/18 02:35 PM

I'm on "A" Dock but might be moving.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum