Texas Fishing Forum

Fish Gripper for those big'uns?

Posted By: psycho0819

Fish Gripper for those big'uns? - 01/01/18 08:41 PM

Looking at fish grippers and seeing the ratings on various models topping out about 50lbs. I need one I can use with my hanging hand scale that'll accommodate larger fish? Say up to 100lb rating? Or another idea on how to weigh large fish easily on a boat without injuring them?

What say the TFF?

Thanks
Posted By: Sandog

Re: Fish Gripper for those big'uns? - 01/01/18 09:03 PM

I use the floating rapala fish gripper and it works great. It also has a ring so you can hang it on a scale. I think they even make a combo back that has a gripper and the scale together.

Re: Fish Gripper for those big'uns? - 01/01/18 09:14 PM

I have the scale. The Rapala 9" model looks good, just curious if it would hold a 60-80lb fish? I had multiple fish bottom out a 50lb scale last spring.

Trying to avoid having to keep a bathroom scale on my boat.
Posted By: tgravley aka lewisvillecatfish

Re: Fish Gripper for those big'uns? - 01/01/18 10:01 PM

Weigh bags are good. Team catfish grips are the Only ones that have held up on my boat
Posted By: mjmetro0719

Re: Fish Gripper for those big'uns? - 01/01/18 10:15 PM

I have a couple of pairs of Team Catfish grips that are good for handling big fish but my favorite pair is the Whisker Seeker Lockjaw grips that have the 360 swivel design. This is great to use when those catfish goes into an alligator spin you can hold it by the handle and let them spin until they are done. With conventional grips in the past I would have to let them go and drop the fish so they wouldn't hurt my wrist. For weighing big fish to get a good weight I undo the top portion of my net and attach it to my scales so that it doesn't injure the fish.

Re: Fish Gripper for those big'uns? - 01/02/18 01:58 AM

OK, so you know how we men always pride ourselves on being problem solvers, and value the wisdom that comes with age? Well, that doesn't mean we don't still experience those "Doh!" moments now and again.

It honestly never dawned on me to hook the scale to my freaking net! I was so focused on one solution, the one I already have never crossed my alleged mind.

I will look into the grippers suggested though, I still one a couple to keep on the boats.
Posted By: MR. CATFISH

Re: Fish Gripper for those big'uns? - 01/02/18 03:06 AM

I personally think the grippers are not good for the jaw of a big fish. When the state record catfish died almost 2 years after it was caught at the fishery center in Athens, they said it was from a jaw injury sustained when it was being handled after being caught.
Posted By: Blues

Re: Fish Gripper for those big'uns? - 01/02/18 01:42 PM

Don't use fish grips to weigh big fish. Always leave them in the net or in a sling, to support their weight.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum