Texas Fishing Forum

Taped nets questions

Posted By: Blue Blazer 2400

Taped nets questions - 12/28/17 02:31 AM

I am assuming I need a heavy net, like 1.5 pounds per foot?

Also what brands do y'all like?
Posted By: tgravley aka lewisvillecatfish

Re: Taped nets questions - 12/28/17 03:14 AM

Most are pretty heavy but if you invest it one, don’t store them in a bucket wet! The tape will come loose!!!
Posted By: GetSlimed

Re: Taped nets questions - 12/28/17 10:59 AM

+1 on storing them wet in a bucket!

Only one I’ve used is the Fitec GS1500. Works great so long as you keep it away from the trees! thumb
Posted By: Cast

Re: Taped nets questions - 12/28/17 11:02 AM

It’s 1.5 oz per foot. Hang it to dry after use and don’t worry, it won’t fit back in the container it came in.
Posted By: TRH (formerly xpress00)

Re: Taped nets questions - 12/28/17 12:45 PM

Fitec GS1500 is a very good choice. I've also taped 2 myself with duct tape. They have worked fine, but I feel the GS1500 still works better. The Duct tape will keep the net open, but it falls slower than the fabric woven in on the purchased nets of same size/weight.
Posted By: Blue Blazer 2400

Re: Taped nets questions - 12/28/17 01:00 PM

Has anyone tried the Betts Deep Hole nets? From what I read they don't use tape, they use some kind of fabric that is sewn onto the net. Wouldn't have to worry about tape coming off
Posted By: DEWAYNE BULLARD

Re: Taped nets questions - 12/28/17 03:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Blue Blazer 2400
Has anyone tried the Betts Deep Hole nets? From what I read they don't use tape, they use some kind of fabric that is sewn onto the net. Wouldn't have to worry about tape coming off

Got one for Christmas but have not used it yet . It is the Super Pro model.
Posted By: Big Sam

Re: Taped nets questions - 12/28/17 05:35 PM

I just hang mine up after each use when i get home and let it dry...no issues so far cheers
Posted By: oakpointaggie

Re: Taped nets questions - 12/28/17 05:42 PM

Fit tech is really great. 6 throws on spot lock with my old net and nothing. One throw with my taped net and got like 6 big gizzards and a crappie. Taped nets are game changers for bait
Posted By: mike9582

Re: Taped nets questions - 12/28/17 09:01 PM

I wish mine would last long enough to fall apart. Seems like UPS is at my house every other week with a new taped net.
Posted By: Fritomick

Re: Taped nets questions - 12/29/17 03:24 AM

The fitec is a very good net. It has a sewn in tape. A very wide one. They are very heavy. The one I had had thick sewn in tape. was a very good net until Tawakoni ate it! I have a betts bait buster now. It works great, but not as good as the fitec. Have a Tim wade on order and that should be the better of the three!
Posted By: Andrew Taylor

Re: Taped nets questions - 12/29/17 04:07 AM

its the only one i use, 7' 1lb per ft
Posted By: smove

Re: Taped nets questions - 12/29/17 03:26 PM

I know this is a rookie question, but what is the purpose of a taped net. It seems it would fall slower and decrease your chances of catching bait fish.
Posted By: Big Sam

Re: Taped nets questions - 12/29/17 04:44 PM

oh and for those that tape their own nets if you use gorilla tape and take your time ....... we use 8ft nets here and ours has had the same tape on it for 3 years with no issues thumb
Posted By: serj5150

Re: Taped nets questions - 12/29/17 09:53 PM

I use a 7 ft betts 1.5 with heavy duty duct tape on both sides of the net and going on 4 years without any issue.. Still working great in this video. thumb

Posted By: DEWAYNE BULLARD

Re: Taped nets questions - 12/30/17 05:47 PM

I used my Betts Super Pro Deep hole net yesterday and it worked good.
Caught plenty gizzard shad . One cast had a 16 inch 1.7 lb . Gizzard shad a 12 inch white bass and 8 inch Drum. The 50 ft rope in more than. enough.
Posted By: Chiprat

Re: Taped nets questions - 12/30/17 07:38 PM

So in my Non Professional opinion, lol
is the idea of a Taped Net, to allow for the Tape, to act as a Plane, and guide the Net out farther, or keep it open longer... as in this Rough Pic.
Posted By: tgravley aka lewisvillecatfish

Re: Taped nets questions - 12/30/17 07:58 PM

Open wider and longer
Posted By: Littlefeather

Re: Taped nets questions - 12/30/17 09:53 PM

Taped vs no tape
This should answer all questions.

For those that have trouble learning to throw a net Cast netting
I know how to throw a cast net very well but wanted to brush up on this cold Winter day. At least I feel warmer now. woot
Posted By: oakpointaggie

Re: Taped nets questions - 12/31/17 04:21 AM

First throw in 32 feet of water today I threw a taco. Let it sink anyways. When I pulled it up I had about 30 drum from 8" to 3". Had all the bait i need in a bad throw. Unfortunately as soon as we got to our fishing spot the wind picked up to much for my boat and it was coooold.
Posted By: Joe Slab

Re: Taped nets questions - 12/31/17 01:42 PM

Good video on the taped net vs non tape. This guy says not to use tapped net if your catching bait which is what we're doing. Yes it stays open longer but falls slower. Is a tapped net only used during winter because shad are slower moving and bunched up as opposed to warm water faster moving bait? I'm cornfussed. confused
Posted By: mjmetro0719

Re: Taped nets questions - 12/31/17 02:26 PM

A taped net is all I ever throw all year long, the only time I don’t throw one is if I’m throwing on the bank in very shallow water. I tear more nets in shallow water and it’s not really needed for shallow water. They are not cheap nets if you buy one but for deeper water you will be glad you invested. Just the other day I was catching plenty of bait and there was a guy that I watched throw and throw. When he was in shouting distance I asked him if he was catching any good bait and he said “No! I’ve only caught a couple.” I told him to come where I was and throw so he did and only got a couple here and there. We started talking about nets and he was asking about my taped net. A couple more throws I had plenty of bait for me and him which included some big shad and two big buffalos. He stated that when he got home he was ordering one and that he witnessed first hand what a difference it makes.
Posted By: BrianTx01

Re: Taped nets questions - 12/31/17 07:48 PM

I have thought about getting one of these from BPS and buying the gear guide.
Posted By: mike9582

Re: Taped nets questions - 12/31/17 08:12 PM

If you are meaning gear guard? Brian they don't do that on nets anymore... I think maybe white rock had something to do with that.
Posted By: BrianTx01

Re: Taped nets questions - 01/01/18 08:42 PM

Originally Posted By: mike9582
If you are meaning gear guard? Brian they don't do that on nets anymore... I think maybe white rock had something to do with that.

That is what I meant.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum