Texas Fishing Forum

Castnet suggestions

Posted By: WillieRip

Castnet suggestions - 11/17/17 05:46 PM

Okay, I want a big castnet something in the 10 ft radius, 20 ft diameter range. I think the one thing holding me back is catching bait. As I'm about to build a bigger boat, I should be able to safely throw a big net. What brand do you use?
Posted By: Cast

Re: Castnet suggestions - 11/17/17 05:55 PM

Cant go bigger than 7/14 (I think) in Texas. Get a taped net with 1 1/2 oz weights.
Posted By: Magged Out

Re: Castnet suggestions - 11/17/17 06:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Cast
Cant go bigger than 7/14 (I think) in Texas. Get a taped net with 1 1/2 oz weights.

Yup! May not be greater than 14' in diameter

Re: Castnet suggestions - 11/17/17 06:30 PM

I live in Alabama. I can get as big a net as I want.

Re: Castnet suggestions - 11/17/17 06:34 PM

Get the biggest one you can throw. The taped nets need the extra weight but work better.

Re: Castnet suggestions - 11/17/17 06:56 PM

Okay, so, what do you mean by taped nets?

Re: Castnet suggestions - 11/17/17 07:00 PM

I just figured the tape thing out myself. The tape is a belt of fabric maybe 2 wide that is sewn into the outer circumference of the net to make it fall slower. The extra weight is needed to make it fall with the tape. Theyre a little more money but guys say its the good stuff.
Posted By: TexMann1

Re: Castnet suggestions - 11/17/17 07:15 PM

We got a new one that is working great. Old one was 0.75lb/ft weights, the new one is same size but 1.5lb/ft weight. First trip out with the new one we caught the biggest shad we have ever caught and dozens of them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00016T22U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Posted By: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀

Re: Castnet suggestions - 11/17/17 07:53 PM

Taped nets are for catching bait that is deep. The tape keeps the net open longer as it falls. Without the tape your net closes as it falls due to drag. By the time an untaped net reaches the bait that is 35 ft deep, the diameter of the opening is too small to be very successful. Taped nets are also called deep hole nets. 1.5 oz weight per foot is what most deep nets have. texas
Posted By: Fishin' Nut

Re: Castnet suggestions - 11/18/17 03:05 PM

Good luck. I have trouble throwing my 5 footer from the boat. Tennessee was rolling good on Tuesday with a 65k release.
Posted By: RespectTheFish

Re: Castnet suggestions - 11/18/17 03:44 PM

I bought a Bait Buster 1/2 inch mesh, 7 foot radius net for $130 on Amazon. Great quality net.
Posted By: CHAMPION FISH

Re: Castnet suggestions - 11/18/17 07:34 PM

I just take my buddy who can throw a net.
Posted By: RespectTheFish

Re: Castnet suggestions - 11/18/17 08:21 PM

Not what you know, but who you know lol
Posted By: TexMann1

Re: Castnet suggestions - 11/18/17 09:23 PM

Originally Posted By: CHAMPION FISH
I just take my buddy who can throw a net.

That's what my brother has decided, as long as I go he doesn't need to learn to throw a net.
Posted By: jbobo

Re: Castnet suggestions - 11/19/17 05:50 AM

Originally Posted By: RespectTheFish
I bought a Bait Buster 1/2 inch mesh, 7 foot radius net for $130 on Amazon. Great quality net.

This^^^^
I just bought this same net last week. It should work well this winter for deep bait. I had to go back to my old salt 7 ft. 1 lb per ft. after 10 or 12 throws. Wore me out. Old salt felt like a 8 minnow net to throw after that 40 lbs plus bait buster. de
Posted By: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀

Re: Castnet suggestions - 11/19/17 12:47 PM

I get my deep nets off Amazon. These are reasonably priced for a taped and are excellent nets. They will last for years if you take care of them. I like 5/8 cause it gets down faster and lets most of the tiny Shad pass through. It also has a 50 hand line for getting deep while most nets only have 25 of hand line. My best big bait holes are all 30-40ft deep in the winter so if you plan on getting bait when the Shad go deep you will need a net with a 50 hand line. texas
Posted By: Fishin' Nut

Re: Castnet suggestions - 11/20/17 02:25 PM

Willie, you going to document your boat build? Enjoy watching your YouTube channel.
Posted By: G Love

Re: Castnet suggestions - 11/20/17 05:03 PM

I throw a heavy Bett's Blue. I like it a lot.
Posted By: OPTIMUS PRIME

Re: Castnet suggestions - 11/20/17 08:54 PM

It will be a good while before I get to fish again but it's all good cause sometimes you just gotta take some downtime and get caught up on other things when the moment arises. But, with that being said, I'll give another thumbs up for a taped net and I wish I was out there fillin one up right now and a gettin in trouble.... roflmao roflmao roflmao roflmao fish

Posted By: Freeman Clark

Re: Castnet suggestions - 11/20/17 10:43 PM

Prime from what I can see you will need a bigger bucket.Thats a haul of a life time.

Re: Castnet suggestions - 11/20/17 10:45 PM

Fishin', yes, I will document the build on the YouTube channel.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum