Texas Fishing Forum

anyone had to remove large amounts of lilly pads

Posted By: hopalong

anyone had to remove large amounts of lilly pads - 09/04/17 08:16 PM

I have 4 duck lakes that the dam lilly pads have taken over almost completely, need some way to kill/cut/eradicate them.

one lake has almost 6-7 acres of them
Posted By: Siberman

Re: anyone had to remove large amounts of lilly pads - 09/04/17 08:21 PM

My Dad used Roundup to kill the cattails in his pool . Not sure how safe that is but it definitely worked .

Re: anyone had to remove large amounts of lilly pads - 09/04/17 08:33 PM

a product called rodeo (same stuff pretty much) with a surfactant is actually what the fed people recommended and approved.

problem is spraying approx. 10-15 acres worth in water.

was hoping someone knew some trick. gonna build a drag for the tractor for now and just open some water up for the ducks/hunters.
Posted By: aleslie53

Re: anyone had to remove large amounts of lilly pads - 09/05/17 12:33 PM

We had 4 ponds with lilly pads sticking 4'out of the water. they were 1-5 acres. We bought a product from Pond Boss and spread it as best we could. It cleaned house. It's a granule and we used big plastic cups to sling it out in the water. It's a chore and if you don't have shoulder problems now you might after. It doesn't hurt the fish or the moss. Now the hard part $200 a bag. I think we used 4 bags. It was well worth it. We are off that place now but for three years it was still working. Dragging a pond won't work.
Posted By: COFF

Re: anyone had to remove large amounts of lilly pads - 09/05/17 02:49 PM

Dragging is temporary at best. Like weedeating weeds - the'll just grow right back unless you really clear it out.

Re: anyone had to remove large amounts of lilly pads - 09/05/17 04:01 PM

looking like grass carp (not one of my favorite fish) and some chemical pellets I found are the most effective for long term.

then there is this.

Posted By: Siberman

Re: anyone had to remove large amounts of lilly pads - 09/05/17 05:35 PM

Originally Posted By: COFF
Dragging is temporary at best. Like weedeating weeds - the'll just grow right back unless you really clear it out.

^^^ this .

Water lilies and lotus (leaves above the water) grow from rhizomes like Iris does . Cutting back the leaves will just stimulate the root to spread .
Posted By: Nocona Brian

Re: anyone had to remove large amounts of lilly pads - 09/12/17 09:30 PM

Guy in Nocona does aerial spraying with a helicopter. My dad has used him to spray the dam out at the lake and had good results. I imagine he's got something for that or could point you in the right direction.
http://www.sandbhelicoptertours.com/our-services-and-prices.html
Posted By: AKMike

Re: anyone had to remove large amounts of lilly pads - 11/10/17 06:59 PM

heres a good way to spread product, they used a similar product on the ponds when I worked at a golf course.

http://www.extremeblowerproducts.com/
Posted By: Todd™

Re: anyone had to remove large amounts of lilly pads - 11/17/17 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by hopalong
looking like grass carp (not one of my favorite fish) and some chemical pellets I found are the most effective for long term.

then there is this.

A friend of mine worked for a pond management company and said they use 2,4-d to control them and it's safe to use on water. You have to be careful if spraying from a boat to not create waves that will wash it off. Last resort they use their amphibious tractor to remove the stuff. They are really cool but expensive.

Edit: I'm not sure the mixture ratio but could ask him if you are interested.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum