Texas Fishing Forum

St Augustine - fading

Posted By: butch sanders

St Augustine - fading - 08/12/17 03:50 PM

why would my St. Augustine be turning lime colored?
Plenty of water,& fertilizer.
It is in the high sun areas.
Thanks
Posted By: Roller22

Re: St Augustine - fading - 08/13/17 01:13 PM

Lime green on my St. Augustine lawn usually means new growth. When it starts to turn yellow to brown is when I start to worry. I do have one circle that has started so I'm worried it is "brown patch." This usually only happens with moist conditions and cool temps.
Posted By: T Bird

Re: St Augustine - fading - 08/13/17 02:09 PM

Originally Posted By: butch sanders
why would my St. Augustine be turning lime colored?
Plenty of water,& fertilizer.
It is in the high sun areas.
Thanks

I have the same issue.
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: St Augustine - fading - 08/13/17 02:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Roller22
Lime green on my St. Augustine lawn usually means new growth. When it starts to turn yellow to brown is when I start to worry. I do have one circle that has started so I'm worried it is "brown patch." This usually only happens with moist conditions and cool temps.

that describes my issue perfectly
what do you do?
Posted By: lconn4

Re: St Augustine - fading - 08/13/17 09:10 PM

I went through the same thing earlier this year. It never got any worse and eventually turned back green.
Posted By: Derek 🐝

Re: St Augustine - fading - 08/15/17 12:08 AM

Originally Posted By: butch sanders
Originally Posted By: Roller22

that describes my issue perfectly
what do you do?

Corn meal. Your symptoms could be and most likely are Gray Leaf Spot or maybe Take All.

Not sure what fertilizer you're using, but you say it has plenty of water and fertilizer. That's a hot bed for fungal disease in most if not all St. Aug grass. Fast release nitrogen is the worst which is what most common fertilizers have a lot of.

Trying to keep it simple, corn meal triggers/benefits the good fungus and they will attack the bad fungus. I don't typically have any fungal issues in summer do to lack of rain and prior apps. Though when do get good rains like your area has had I'd lay an app down. It's cheap.

Most feed stores have it or can get it. Whole Ground CM should be about $6-8ish a 50lb. It's a little dusty but spreads pretty easily through a spreader. 20lbs per 1000sq feet. Doesn't have to be watered in. Do it monthly for the first few months. It takes time. You wouldn't start seeing results for 3 or so weeks. But with fall rains coming along, I'd start laying it down.

That's my non chemical approach. Which most chemicals that would actually work you'd have to have a license for and not OTC.

Re: St Augustine - fading - 08/15/17 12:38 PM

Truthfully your St. Augustine should be ok. I have added a link from Neil Sperry and it doesn't mention lime green spots. This article covers everything that can happen to St. Augustine.

Again, those are normally my new growth leaves. When your leaves start to yellow or brown, then you have trouble. I will take a picture of my yard today and let you see the color.

Neil Sperry on St. Augustine

Re: St Augustine - fading - 08/15/17 09:02 PM

I also noticed where I had cut it really short with the weed eater last week and the new grass leaves are lime green.

Posted By: RipDaLips

Re: St Augustine - fading - 08/15/17 09:10 PM

Try some milorganite on it. Sounds like your lawn could use some iron, opposed to using harsh fertilizer types like Scotts..etc.
Posted By: jwcromer

Re: St Augustine - fading - 08/22/17 04:42 PM

spray with liquid iron, this will fix the problem,also have your soil tested
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum