Texas Fishing Forum

Dog poop in compost??

Posted By: Jon

Dog poop in compost?? - 04/28/18 03:25 PM

I'm new at this but I figured it'd be fine to put the dog poop in it so before checking, I got it all mixed up in most of my compost materials.

Then I started reading up on it and sounds like most don't recommend it unless you can guarantee you have got the pile up to 165F for a certain time. How the heck would you be sure the whole thing had got hot enough through out and not just in the middle? Is it that dang risky for spreading disease or parasites to humans?

Had I studied this ahead of time i'd have just separated it out, and I can still scatter out the brown and green I have bagged up separate to add as needed and rake out the dog poop. But if it's that risky, there's probably going to be some contamination left in there. I wish I had checked ahead of time!! 3 months of kitchen scraps are now too far mixed up to separate anything.

It's for a vegetable gardens. What would you guys suggest? Thanks!
Posted By: elcoyote, esq.

Re: Dog poop in compost?? - 04/28/18 03:49 PM

Get a compost thermometer, check it daily.

https://www.amazon.com/REOTEMP-Backyard-...1SNP3Y4GFKA9N96

You do need to pasteurize The dog poop before it will be inert.
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: Dog poop in compost?? - 04/28/18 09:09 PM

Jon, I would not use dog poop, cat poop etc in compost intended for vegetable gardening. It's possible for any parasites, etc to end up on your food.

If you were using the compost for ornamental gardening, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Posted By: Siberman

Re: Dog poop in compost?? - 04/29/18 12:18 AM

Originally Posted By: Uncle Zeek
Jon, I would not use dog poop, cat poop etc in compost intended for vegetable gardening. It's possible for any parasites, etc to end up on your food.

If you were using the compost for ornamental gardening, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

^^^
Posted By: Jon

Re: Dog poop in compost?? - 04/29/18 02:35 AM

Thanks guys.

Elcoyote, I’m gonna get one of those long temp probes. - thanks!!
I’m gonna bet that out here in West Texas in those big ole 3 mil black contractors bags I can get it pretty darn hot if I add a little chicken poop and maybe some other goodies to kick it into high gear.

I’m probably gonna keep all that separate and use it in the flower beds and stuff. Just so as not to have to worry about it.
Posted By: elcoyote, esq.

Re: Dog poop in compost?? - 04/29/18 02:40 AM

Originally Posted By: Uncle Zeek

That’s where the temperature comes in to play. After keeping the compost above 160ish degrees for so long (I think 3 months is the magic number), it is pasteurized, basically all the bad stuff cooks out of it, but all of the good nutrients are still there.
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: Dog poop in compost?? - 04/29/18 02:54 PM

i don't use mine (dog poop)
just something about it

i was turning my pile over the other day
i had 2 earth worms as big as a pencil
Posted By: Bug-e

Re: Dog poop in compost?? - 04/29/18 10:08 PM

Don't put dog poop in your compost. First, it's not good fertilizer and second there's a chance for some nasty parasite issues.
Posted By: hallfns

Re: Dog poop in compost?? - 08/07/18 09:09 PM

this, put it back in the bag you bought it in in the first place...
Posted By: Budlitego

Re: Dog poop in compost?? - 02/09/19 04:31 PM

I hear chicken poop is the super nitrogen!
Posted By: Cast

Re: Dog poop in compost?? - 02/09/19 05:05 PM

I wouldn’t add it. Maybe if it is real dry. Get some red wigglers in that pile.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Dog poop in compost?? - 02/09/19 06:46 PM

I throw mine in the pond. The catfish eat it but I don't eat the catfish.

Re: Dog poop in compost?? - 02/10/19 12:03 AM

no pet poop or meat scraps
after a couple of experiments

Re: Dog poop in compost?? - 02/10/19 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I throw mine in the pond. The catfish eat it but I don't eat the catfish.

yeah
i never got people who catfished
under
comorant roost
Posted By: Trebor Neil

Re: Dog poop in compost?? - 02/10/19 12:14 AM

I lived in the Orient for several years in the 50's & 60's, human "Honey Wagons", were heavily used then, human waste gathered every day and then sent to the growing fields, The folks there eat heavily on vegetables.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum