Texas Fishing Forum

Non-Boater looking to get into Tournament

Posted By: BigBassB

Non-Boater looking to get into Tournament - 01/19/16 03:00 PM

I have been fishing local ponds most of my life, but I have just recently become interested in learning how to really fish. I purchased a fishing kayak about 2 years ago and have been hitting the water as much as possible ever since.

I just about have my wife convinced that I need a bass boat but thought in the mean time it would be great to get into a few tournaments as a non-boater to get a feel of the scene and learn from more experienced guys.

I'm looking for some suggestions on the best way to go about all this. Other than a few small kayak tournaments, I have never entered anything official. I get a little intimidated but figure its probably the best way to learn.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
Posted By: KPDenney

Re: Non-Boater looking to get into Tournament - 01/19/16 04:44 PM

Go to flwoutdoors.com and take a look at the BFL series tournaments specifically the Cowboy division. The rules are listed there and I will be glad to answer any questions you may have. That is one of the best and least expensive trails to cut your teeth on tournament fishing. PM me if you need any more info. Ken
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Non-Boater looking to get into Tournament - 01/19/16 05:52 PM

Where do you live? McKinney Bass Club is looking for non boater members.
Posted By: TBassYates

Re: Non-Boater looking to get into Tournament - 01/19/16 06:06 PM

Century Bass Club
Come join us.
centurybassclub.com
Posted By: coachallentca

Re: Non-Boater looking to get into Tournament - 01/19/16 06:20 PM

join a local bass club one that allows non boaters and fish for a year and then move up if you think you have learned enough.

Re: Non-Boater looking to get into Tournament - 01/19/16 10:54 PM

Originally Posted By: forkduc
Where do you live? McKinney Bass Club is looking for non boater members.

I live in Van Alstyne, just up the road from McKinney. That sounds like a great option. Ill check it out. Thanks
Posted By: huchowski

Re: Non-Boater looking to get into Tournament - 01/19/16 11:53 PM

Where are you located at?

Re: Non-Boater looking to get into Tournament - 01/20/16 02:23 PM

Originally Posted By: huchowski
Where are you located at?

Van Alstyne
Posted By: UTDmiller

Re: Non-Boater looking to get into Tournament - 01/20/16 02:29 PM

I fished century for a couple seasons before i bought my boat, learned a few things from the guys, but learning a little about lakes i have never been on was the bigger plus for me as a non boater.
Posted By: Capt Jerry

Re: Non-Boater looking to get into Tournament - 01/20/16 03:33 PM

You might want to look into this tournament series:

http://ramopenseries.com

They have a a co-angler (non-boater) entry that will pair you with a boater for the tourney day. FLW's BFL does the same, but they are only on Sam Rayburn and T-Bend.

Get out there and enjoy fishing with different people!
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Non-Boater looking to get into Tournament - 01/20/16 08:44 PM

Great, our first tournaments are this weekend on Monticello and Welsh. Next month is on Squaw Creek
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum