Texas Fishing Forum

"Jr Day On The Water".....Cameron Turnquist.....Texoma RESULTS

Posted By: Casey Allison

"Jr Day On The Water".....Cameron Turnquist.....Texoma RESULTS - 11/23/08 08:33 PM

On Saturday November 22nd, I got the pleasure of doing another "Jr Day On The Water" with Cameron Turnquist. I have to tell you all the talent of these Jr angler's is amazing. I really feel Cameron could enter any tournament he wanted to and hold his own there. At 15 this kid makes decisions that would make you sit back and just be amazed.

I arrived at the Spill Way Ramp on Lake Texoma about 6:30am and pulled up on Two Boats already in the parking lot. One being Cameron's and the other being Jeff Formans. Jeff followed Cameron around the entire day to show his support for the Jr Angler. ( Jeff didn't give Cameron any advice from the start till the finish of the trip)

The air and wind mixed were very crisp and chilly. Cloud cover with the winter haze and NO SUN would prove to be a gloomy day.....well weather wise!

(you will have to forgive the PICTURES, I don't know what happened they turned out with a haze effect on them)

7:00
After Cameron walk us through how he plans to attack the day, he has his dad back him into the water.

While we pull out of the ramp cove he idles over to a drop off near a point to check for bait fish, Nothing in here yet, i will probably finish here he states.

7:07
He has moved a mile or so up the lake and makes a left turn into a cove. He starts on the left bank that is loaded with rocks and more rocks. He starts off running a RC 1.5 Lavender Shad Crank along the rocks trying to trigger reaction strikes. His boat is in 10.1 feet of water casting to 1-2 feet of water.

He runs his crank in front of a dock and feels some brush, he picks up a 5/16 Watermelon/Green Pumpkin jig with a Zoom Super Chunk trailer and makes a few cast in to the heart of the brush. No Luck.

He spends the next 29 minutes casting the Crank and Jig to the rocky Shore Line and Docks, before he moves across the cove and points out a small rock point we are approaching.

7:36
As he turns and is talking to Jeff who is in the middle of the cove watching, He feels a sudden WHACK on his RC 1.5 Crank. The fish loads up on the rod good and with a short battle he lands FISH #1 a Large Mouth weighing in at 2.08 pounds (2 lbs 8 oz). The fish was in 3 feet of water.

[Linked Image]

He knocked the crankbait hard Cameron tells us as you can see the weight of the first fish fly off his shoulder's

7:50
Has another fish on the crankbait and turns to tell me get the camera......UH......he misses fish and laugh's...Man that's exactly what Thomas Ross PM'ed me and told me not to do.

8:20
He has now moved to the Drain on the right side of the FINA STORE, he works his way back tot he very back and we shoot a video on setting the hook and learning from others mistakes.

8:21
Not a minute later he's casting the 5/16 Watermelon/Green Pumpkin jig With a Zoom Super Chunk Trailer to under water tree's in 14 feet of water, when he PRACTICES WHAT HE JUST PREACHED. He feels a TAP-TAP and BAAAAAAAM with a smooth hook set he stick a...............

Keeper #2 a 3.13 SMALL MOUTH...WHAT A SITE.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Well not 15 minutes later how about round 2 with depth lure and everything the same.

Keeper #3 a 3.05 Small Mouth

[Linked Image]

9:02
After getting hung up Cameron looses jig he had caught the last 2 Smallmouth.

9:12
Catch's his line he broke off, but can't get it before it falls back to the water.

9:14
Her's THUMP THUMP THUMP on his trolling motor and pulls it up to fine his line and jig he lost, After about 5 minutes of picking line from his Trolling motor prop he reties the jig only to lose it again 5 minutes later. I guess It wasn't ment to be he states.

He spends the next Hour moving in and out of coves trying to locate the fish. Using The Lavender Shad crankbait, and 5/16 Pumpkin Seed Jig.

Cameron Talking about Jr Angler's CLUB

10:20
He moves to a drain a few coves up from the dam and tells me he know of a brush pile in the back of it, he should catch a fish from.

He works his way back to the BrushPile cranking the rocks and surrounding tree's off the bank.

He reaches the BrushPile and picks up his Jig.

Keeper #4 a Large Mouth Weighing 3.01 pounds, Kinda a easy fight after the last two Small Mouth's he says joking.

Man that's something right out of the Bass Master's Magazine he tells, you flip into the brush and stick a 3 pounder.

10:50
After fishing out the cove he just caught the 3 pounder in, he moves out and heads back towards dam and pulls into a shallow cove moving to the back and starts casting the Lavender Shad crank Bait when he sticks.......

Fish #5 Large Mouth weighing .04 pounds (culled)
Keeper #6 Large Mouth weighing 1.00 Pounds

[Linked Image]

Both fish were around the 3 feet mark in 58.6 degree water.

Cameron would finish out the day fishing Drop shot's and Jigs in the area's where he caught the 2 Small Mouth and 3 pound Large Mouth. With no luck. The SUN never showed up and it was COLD the entire day. Weight Wise he had a great day and is a GREAT Jr angler, really knows how to use his graphs and locate bait fish. For it being a GLOOMY Grey Hazed Day. He never gave up and ground it out till the last whistle.

Cameron's "Jr Day On The Water" Sack

Fish #1.....Large Mouth.....(2.08)
Fish #2.....Small Mouth.....(3.13)*1
Fish #3.....Small Mouth.....(3.05)
Fish #4.....Large Mouth.....(3.01)
Fish #5.....Large Mouth.....(1.00)

Total Weight................(13 LBS 11 OZ)*2

*1......New Big Bass record for Jr Anglers
*2......New Heavy Stringer for Jr Anglers.

To Cameron and his Dad.
Thanks for giving me the opportunity to watch a great young angler at work. Stuart, you have really raised Cameron right, everyone's perception of him on the TFF holds true. Both of you are Great people who are true stewards of the Lord.

Cameron, I will really dread the day i have to fish against you. Great job today dealing with what mother Nature threw at you at you. I will tell you, I learned A TON about JIG fishing today from you, and great tips on life living through the Lord. Keep it up and Good luck in what ever path you take in life and fishing.

Texoma Wild Life

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: "Jr Day On The Water".....Cameron Turnquist.....Texoma RESULTS - 11/23/08 08:34 PM

Thanks to Lake Fork Tackle for all the contribution that make these possible.

Thank to Mark Jones of the BBT, for giving Cameron some great Carrot Stix rods, and also for the great NEW CAMERA "Day On The Water" Has. Man that thing is AWESOME.... thumb

Delo's and Froggy D's for the Tackle they pitched in.

Rob at Line and Lure/BTS for products and McCoy's for the Line.

Great Sponsors of "Jr Day On The Water"

www.lftlures.com

www.falconrods.com

www.lakeforkmarina.com

www.[censored]

www.btsproducts.com

www.lineandlure.com

www.deloscustomtackleshack.com

www.froggyds.com

www.mccoyfishingline.com

Re: "Jr Day On The Water".....Cameron Turnquist.....Texoma RESULTS - 11/23/08 08:34 PM

Posted By: TDR2

Re: "Jr Day On The Water".....Cameron Turnquist.....Texoma RESULTS - 11/23/08 08:56 PM

wow, thats awesome. Congrats on the great day Cameron and good job Casey on the write up!
Posted By: The Rock

Re: "Jr Day On The Water".....Cameron Turnquist.....Texoma RESULTS - 11/23/08 09:06 PM

good job guys! way to whack em Cameron!! ANOTHER great write up by Casey!!
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: "Jr Day On The Water".....Cameron Turnquist.....Texoma RESULTS - 11/23/08 09:08 PM

great job
Posted By: The Natural

Re: "Jr Day On The Water".....Cameron Turnquist.....Texoma RESULTS - 11/23/08 09:08 PM

Man I'm jealous! I want to catch some Smallies!
Posted By: Allison1

Re: "Jr Day On The Water".....Cameron Turnquist.....Texoma RESULTS - 11/23/08 09:16 PM

Wonderful! Wonderful! Good job Cameron.

Great job and you are the man!

Good video's too. Fine job.
Posted By: monkester

Re: "Jr Day On The Water".....Cameron Turnquist.....Texoma RESULTS - 11/23/08 09:35 PM

Congrats on finding the fish and putting them in the boat!!!!!!
Posted By: jigflippin

Re: "Jr Day On The Water".....Cameron Turnquist.....Texoma RESULTS - 11/23/08 09:40 PM

Awesome Job Cameron !! Nice bag of fish. Congrats !! thumb

Posted By: Lake Fork Guide- James Caldemeyer

Re: "Jr Day On The Water".....Cameron Turnquist.....Texoma RESULTS - 11/23/08 10:00 PM

Nice Job Cameron!
Posted By: Lance Vick

Re: "Jr Day On The Water".....Cameron Turnquist.....Texoma RESULTS - 11/23/08 10:03 PM

Way to go Cameron, Watch out BASSMASTER's
Posted By: JayInNRH

Re: "Jr Day On The Water".....Cameron Turnquist.....Texoma RESULTS - 11/23/08 10:04 PM

Great job. Looks like fun with those smallies.
Posted By: Brandon Dillard

Re: "Jr Day On The Water".....Cameron Turnquist.....Texoma RESULTS - 11/23/08 10:08 PM

Nice job Cameron...looks like he is going to b a handful to compete with! Love to c young anglers...that is where it all starts.
Posted By: John A.

Re: "Jr Day On The Water".....Cameron Turnquist.....Texoma RESULTS - 11/23/08 10:25 PM

Great job Cameron. Thats an impressive sack for any lake especially for Texoma!!!
Posted By: FDR80

Re: "Jr Day On The Water".....Cameron Turnquist.....Texoma RESULTS - 11/23/08 10:37 PM

Super job Cameron!!! Keep it up. Many thanks to Casey for another great write up.
Posted By: RAMROD FISHIN

Re: "Jr Day On The Water".....Cameron Turnquist.....Texoma RESULTS - 11/23/08 10:42 PM

Wow, Now thats how to make a bad day good! Great job Cameron. It was good to see you do so well, But more how mature and respectful you acted.
Posted By: TDR2

Re: "Jr Day On The Water".....Cameron Turnquist.....Texoma RESULTS - 11/23/08 11:12 PM

I was fishing hubbard and think I saw your Carrot stix from all the way down here, how did they fish??
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: "Jr Day On The Water".....Cameron Turnquist.....Texoma RESULTS - 11/23/08 11:19 PM

Well done Cameron!

Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: "Jr Day On The Water".....Cameron Turnquist.....Texoma RESULTS - 11/23/08 11:37 PM

Good Job Cameron! my wife just walked in while I was watching his first smallmouth video... I explained a little about Cameron and him being 15 with a bright future ahead of him. She agrees he has some fishign skills and professionalism needed to succeed. Another thing she said was "Is that Casey? He sounds like a hick!" LOL!!! rolfmao
Posted By: Kent Cella

Re: "Jr Day On The Water".....Cameron Turnquist.....Texoma RESULTS - 11/23/08 11:50 PM

Congratulations and great job Cameron.

That's just what we expected from you.
Posted By: Jay Kendrick

Re: "Jr Day On The Water".....Cameron Turnquist.....Texoma RESULTS - 11/24/08 12:01 AM

welll i guess i know whos gonna be carrying the weight for our team this year.... hes gonna be catchin fish and ill be designated net man. LOL smile
Posted By: K.P

Re: "Jr Day On The Water".....Cameron Turnquist.....Texoma RESULTS - 11/24/08 12:30 AM

Well done Cameron!
Posted By: 2688rrg6

Re: "Jr Day On The Water".....Cameron Turnquist.....Texoma RESULTS - 11/24/08 12:31 AM

What a great job by an outstanding kid. Thanks to Casey for all he does. This is outstanding stuff.

Re: "Jr Day On The Water".....Cameron Turnquist.....Texoma RESULTS - 11/24/08 12:42 AM

Mark,

Thanks for the Camera.

The pics didn't turn out to bad, I took some today and they were fine. It might have been the cold?

I tell you Guys and Gals what. people always say these kids are the future of our sport, well I have a feeling BASS FISHING is going to be on a rise. I see more and more JR angler these day's that are going to be serious competitors VERY VERY SOON.

Casey
Posted By: 2688rrg6

Re: "Jr Day On The Water".....Cameron Turnquist.....Texoma RESULTS - 11/24/08 12:46 AM

My pleasure. What you're doing with these kids is truly awesome. You deserve more credit than you get. This sport is going to become something special in the next decade. There are some strong junior and college anglers on the way up.

Posted By: Terry M

Re: "Jr Day On The Water".....Cameron Turnquist.....Texoma RESULTS - 11/24/08 08:23 AM

Very nice, great job Cameron! Thats a great stringer of fish especially in those conditions!
Posted By: Brian McCarty

Re: "Jr Day On The Water".....Cameron Turnquist.....Texoma RESULTS - 11/24/08 02:07 PM

Cameron,
Great job and congrats!
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: "Jr Day On The Water".....Cameron Turnquist.....Texoma RESULTS - 11/24/08 02:25 PM

Great Job Camera.
Posted By: SoCal Tom

Re: "Jr Day On The Water".....Cameron Turnquist.....Texoma RESULTS - 11/24/08 02:28 PM

Nice sack of fish Cameron. I'd love to bag a couple of 3 pound smallies!
Posted By: bogey♂

Re: "Jr Day On The Water".....Cameron Turnquist.....Texoma RESULTS - 11/24/08 02:30 PM

Great job, both Cameron and Casey!
Posted By: 921ELITE Cranker

Re: "Jr Day On The Water".....Cameron Turnquist.....Texoma RESULTS - 11/24/08 05:16 PM

Awesome job Cameron. That is what I like, youth that are absolutely ate up with fishing. You can tell that Cameron loves to fish more than anything and he will be a force to recon with in the coming years.

Cameron, cherish the times you get to fish with your Dad!! There is not any amount of money I would take for the times I spent fishing with my Dad at your age. I may forget some things over time, but I can tell you every fish fish we ever caught together. Keep it up man!!
Posted By: CapN Ron

Re: "Jr Day On The Water".....Cameron Turnquist.....Texoma RESULTS - 11/24/08 05:54 PM

WoW...impressive, great job dude!
Posted By: Cameron T.

Re: "Jr Day On The Water".....Cameron Turnquist.....Texoma RESULTS - 11/24/08 07:35 PM

Thanks Guys it was a ton of fun!!! Those smallies are so AWESOME!!
Posted By: Pat Cella

Re: "Jr Day On The Water".....Cameron Turnquist.....Texoma RESULTS - 11/24/08 07:57 PM

Congratulations Cameron. Kent told me that you would hammer them.
Posted By: FORMANJ

Re: "Jr Day On The Water".....Cameron Turnquist.....Texoma RESULTS - 11/24/08 07:57 PM

flagHat's off to you and your Dad for out standing day on Texoma. Cameron you are one of the best young anglers I have ever seen fish the way you did. He would go down a bank tell he seen cover put down the crankbait and pick up his jig and get fish HAT'S OFF ALL I CAN SAY and any time you wont to come up just call me there are lot more spots like that we can hit. And Casey hat's off to you for great day and all that you do for all of us you must have a great wife like me and [thank her for me] thumb
Posted By: Kyle M

Re: "Jr Day On The Water".....Cameron Turnquist.....Texoma RESULTS - 11/24/08 09:15 PM

Congratulations Cameron, on the heavy stringer of fish! I sure hope I can catch some smallmouth someday!
Posted By: Cameron T.

Re: "Jr Day On The Water".....Cameron Turnquist.....Texoma RESULTS - 11/24/08 09:22 PM

Thanks Kyle
Posted By: rautery

Re: "Jr Day On The Water".....Cameron Turnquist.....Texoma RESULTS - 11/24/08 09:25 PM

Good job Cameron! Can't beat those finesse jigs, one of my favorite baits as well.
Posted By: Caleb Ramsey

Re: "Jr Day On The Water".....Cameron Turnquist.....Texoma RESULTS - 11/24/08 09:29 PM

Awesome job Cameron I wish I could go some place to catch smallies.
Posted By: joeycan24

Re: "Jr Day On The Water".....Cameron Turnquist.....Texoma RESULTS - 11/25/08 12:52 AM

Outstanding!!!!! I will say though, this Jeff Foreman guy sounds interesting, Im sure you taught him some good lessons though. haha jk. Nice support Jeff. Oh by the way next time you go out Im going to follow you around to find myself some nice fishing holes.
Posted By: Poorboy

Re: "Jr Day On The Water".....Cameron Turnquist.....Texoma RESULTS - 11/25/08 11:41 AM

Wow Cameron, way to go!!!!

Posted By: Ranger66

Re: "Jr Day On The Water".....Cameron Turnquist.....Texoma RESULTS - 11/26/08 12:07 AM

Congrats Cameron, you did a great job on the Texoma smallies, that have been difficult to come by this year. And that Jeff Forman guy is very interesting, you should ask him about catfishing on Lake Bonham!!!!!
Posted By: fishing4thefuture

Re: "Jr Day On The Water".....Cameron Turnquist.....Texoma RESULTS - 11/26/08 01:16 AM

good job man
Posted By: slimpickins

Re: "Jr Day On The Water".....Cameron Turnquist.....Texoma RESULTS - 11/26/08 10:13 AM

Great job Cameron I was up there too on saturday and I dont know how you managed to fish in just what you had on in those pictures I almost froze to death wearing alot more. You did a great job congratulations.
Posted By: 5-20

Re: "Jr Day On The Water".....Cameron Turnquist.....Texoma RESULTS - 11/26/08 01:49 PM

Terrific job!!! Must've been awesome catching those nice smallies!!! Love that little tick you feel when they take the jig!!!
Posted By: Mike_Soriano™

Re: "Jr Day On The Water".....Cameron Turnquist.....Texoma RESULTS - 07/24/09 03:34 AM

Whats with the pic of the guy that looks like Kenyon Hill
??LOL Jeff is a good guy.Great job Cameron!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum