Texas Fishing Forum

Need some willows for 3/8th and 1/2oz spinner baits

Posted By: CCTX

Need some willows for 3/8th and 1/2oz spinner baits - 10/16/17 01:15 PM

What size blades are the most versatile?

5,6,7 ?

Thanks

Re: Need some willows for 3/8th and 1/2oz spinner baits - 10/17/17 12:01 AM

I picked up some size 5s
Looked to be about right
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Need some willows for 3/8th and 1/2oz spinner baits - 10/17/17 04:12 PM

5's are good for our lakes. I do some of the larger ones on my Mexico Spinners; but the big fish down there are thick and like the larger blades.

Re: Need some willows for 3/8th and 1/2oz spinner baits - 10/17/17 05:46 PM

Thanks
Posted By: Craig K

Re: Need some willows for 3/8th and 1/2oz spinner baits - 10/18/17 08:49 PM

A 6 and 7 seem pretty large for a 3/8. A 7 Willow is a huge blade good for slow rolling but if you are going with twin blades I would go with a 5 or 4.5. Twin 4s have been producing really well and I can cover a lot of water using 1/2 bait with dual 4s.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Need some willows for 3/8th and 1/2oz spinner baits - 10/18/17 10:25 PM

I like blades that are darker like the gold and hammered Copper willows. These two have been my best tournament baits over all the years. These also had the smaller colo. blade in combination with the willow.
A smaller Chartreuse blade behind the willow has been very good to me.

I like blades that are also painted to knock the shine off of them, then come back with the Diamond Dusted Hologram and some of the other glitters that I use to give it back the scale patter flash. My living rubber skirting does not have glitter as does Silicone; so I rely on the blade to give that impression as well as the vibration. This has worked very well.

One blade that is hard to find is the Slow Willow Blade which was a big winner back in the 60's then in the 70's for 4 BASS Classic wins. It was a much shorter blade back then; more like our Fluted Blades today. I will be coming out with some of these for sale in the near future patterned after those Classic Winners.

Here is a super article and pictures of all combinations.
http://www.bassdozer.com/articles/spinnerbait-blades.shtml
Posted By: tejasbass

Re: Need some willows for 3/8th and 1/2oz spinner baits - 11/01/17 02:05 AM

I use a bait with a blade similar to the slow willow. It works so well, I have a couple hundred. Seriously...
Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad

Re: Need some willows for 3/8th and 1/2oz spinner baits - 11/01/17 04:05 AM

Might look into some turtle style blades, it's like a cross between willow and Colorado.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum