Texas Fishing Forum

Making Jig molds

Posted By: STEVE B

Making Jig molds - 04/17/17 03:01 PM

How are you guys making bait molds? Buddy of mine wants us to try to cut some blanks to make jig heads. Seems pretty complicated to me, even in a machine shop. Not sure how to cut them to get the right weight either. Curious how people without access to a machine shop do it. Ive never messed with any kind of molds before
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Making Jig molds - 04/17/17 09:23 PM

This may help.

Makin a Jig Mold from Triton Mike 6/4/2001 1:56:00 PM
Well I can't claim that this was my idea but Troy Jens showed this idea to me. First off get a little small tuperware container say maybe 1.5 inches tall and 4inches by 4 inches (not important on the size as long as it is 1.5 inches tall or taller). Fill it half way full with water putty and insert jig halfway down into the water putty. I would make the putty a little thick maybe a little bit thicker than the consitancy of pancake batter. Take a BIG Egg sinker or bullet weight and place it point down 45 degrees to the back of the head of the jig and sink it halfway under the water putty (be sure that the sinker is touching the back of the head of the jig to insure a smooth pour). This is going to be your pour hole for the lead. Also you will need a pin for the weedgaurd as well inserted on the front side of the head. Again sink it halfway into the putty. Secondly and very important part after the putty dries take some vaseline and coat the entire surface jig and entire flat surface of the dried water putty as when you pour the next layer of putty it will keep the 2 pieces seperated so you won't have to chisel the two pieces apart. After it dries pop out the mold and start pourin. YOu can probably get close to 150 jig heads before the putty starts getting brittle and crumbly. Works good for getting round plastic handpours too. I haven't tried bondo material for a mold on lead yet, but it may work as well. Be careful when dealing with the Hot lead and a homemade mold.
Triton Mike

Not responsible for anyone's 5th degree burns.

Re: Making Jig molds - 04/19/17 12:41 AM

Re: Making Jig molds - 04/19/17 12:43 AM

Im talking about cutting the mold itself to make a jighead of a desired shape and weight.

Re: Making Jig molds - 04/19/17 04:35 PM

Google NY mold company. Last I heard they can take a sample weight or jig and cut the mold very reasonably for you. Lot cheaper than buying the machine tools to do it yourself.

Re: Making Jig molds - 04/20/17 12:03 AM

Seems like a pain even with the equipment. I work in a machine shop. Thats why that Michael guy we both know is trying to get us to machine his molds..
Originally Posted By: Donald Harper
Google NY mold company. Last I heard they can take a sample weight or jig and cut the mold very reasonably for you. Lot cheaper than buying the machine tools to do it yourself.

Re: Making Jig molds - 04/20/17 12:07 AM

Im having no luck with NY mold company. All im getting with searches is mold and mildew removal..

Re: Making Jig molds - 04/20/17 02:12 PM

http://www.minicoindustries.com/
Posted By: Joefishin

Re: Making Jig molds - 04/21/17 01:53 PM

Call Jim at Cast Industries in Illinois, they made me several custom molds at a reasonable price.

http://castind.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hAVQ3MJT-4
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum