Texas Fishing Forum

Problem with paint or brush...or user?

Posted By: swalker9513

Problem with paint or brush...or user? - 09/28/16 04:38 PM

I can't get a good flow. The brush seems to clog immediately, and then I get splatters and spits.

This thread would go in such a different direction in the OT.
Posted By: Txmedic033

Re: Problem with paint or brush...or user? - 09/29/16 12:46 PM

Break your airbrush down and clean thoroughly w/ denatured alcohol. Especially around the tip. It only takes one little particle to make that happen.
Posted By: Bois d'arc

Re: Problem with paint or brush...or user? - 09/29/16 01:11 PM

Invest in a 16 ounce bottle of Createx 5619 Restorer airbrush cleaner. Disassemble the airbrush and put the parts in a flat pan, similar to a microwave dinner plate. Pour enough cleaner into the pan to cover the airbrush parts and let it soak for 10-15 minutes. Remove the various parts. Use a soft toothbrush to remove any really tough paint residue and finish rinse everything thoroughly with running water. Save the restorer in an airtight metal or glass container, as its reusable. Reassemble the airbrush, lubricating it per factory specs. After every few painting sessions dunk the entire assembled airbrush in restorer for 5-7 minutes and then rinse with water, to keep it in top shape. If you still have issues I would check the fluid nozzle, it may be cracked or deformed. Jewelers glasses really help when looking for cracks or deformities in needles and fluid nozzles. Assuming your paint is good and all else fails, Createx makes a really nice 4020 reducer for extreme humidity and/or cold situations. Good luck.
Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad

Re: Problem with paint or brush...or user? - 09/29/16 02:09 PM

what he said^ I have had the same issue a few times that i could never get cleared up and both times I replaced the nozzle and it fixed the issue.

Re: Problem with paint or brush...or user? - 09/29/16 02:34 PM

It has to be the paint. I did some spraying last night without an issue. I think Bois's tip in the tips thread is what i need to do--panty hose.

Re: Problem with paint or brush...or user? - 09/30/16 12:59 PM

Originally Posted By: swalker9513
It has to be the paint. I did some spraying last night without an issue. I think Bois's tip in the tips thread is what i need to do--panty hose.

Its surprising how easily junk gets into the paint. Even the tiniest particle can cause issues when using a small diameter tip. Can't overstate how well the 5619 restorer cleans up an old airbrush...old gunky paint just melts away.
Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad

Re: Problem with paint or brush...or user? - 09/30/16 01:28 PM

bois is there a local place to buy it, or do you order it online?

Re: Problem with paint or brush...or user? - 09/30/16 01:54 PM

Occasionally find it at Hobby Lobby. I usually order online...really its great stuff...highly recommend it for those of us who occasionally forget to properly clean our tools after use blush or anyone wanting to get that new airbrush feel back onto an old airbrush.

Re: Problem with paint or brush...or user? - 09/30/16 03:05 PM

I hand cleaned everything yesterday--alcohol and cotton swabs. I can see some gunk build up that I can't get to with a q-tip. I found the stuff at Chicago Airbrush Supply, so I guess, I'll be placing an order. This stuff won't harm the seals or air valve?
Posted By: basscat dad

Re: Problem with paint or brush...or user? - 09/30/16 04:44 PM

i use the cotton swabs too but be careful not to leave any tiny fragments of the swab tip behind. they will wreak havoc in an airbrush. another great cleaning tool is the small size of the craft cotton swabs from tamiya. hobby lobby has them by the airbrush stuff. they look like q-tips but are pointed and don't shed.
after i use denatured alcohol to clean i always rinse everything with distilled water and then lube per the airbrush recommandations.
when i do a complete cleaning i take everything, and i mean everything, apart including the air valve. it's amazing how a little gunk in there will affect the trigger movement.

Re: Problem with paint or brush...or user? - 10/02/16 02:07 PM

No it doesn't hurt plastic or rubber parts. Forgot to mention...I have an old Paasche airbrush I use for applying glitter (.5mm needle/air nozzle) and it gets pretty messed up at times. Cleaning with alcohol and brushes worked for a while but eventually it just wasn't enough. Soaked and cleaned it with 5619 and it's spraying glitter better than ever. I was surprised at the amount of glitter trapped in the airbrush. Poured the 5619 thru a patch of panty hose to remove the glitter Then back into the can I store it in. Don't forget its reusable!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum