Texas Fishing Forum

Basic paint color selection

Posted By: bell0347

Basic paint color selection - 06/08/16 11:51 PM

Total newbie here. I've had an interest in painting hard baits for some time now but have never tried it. My buddies opened a taxidermy shop and loaned me a couple airbrushes and a compressor to try my hand at painting duck bills and what not for them. While I have the gear now I'd also like to paint up a few baits. I have a handful of deep cranks I don't use and several square bills that I've knocked the bills off of on rocks and docks to practice on. What is a basic paint selection I should get to get myself started color and brand wise. Looking to do basics first, chart/black back, shad pattern, maybe a fire tiger or something too. I have Hobby Lobby nearby and can also order from Amazon or wherever you guys find the best prices on supplies.
Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad

Re: Basic paint color selection - 06/09/16 12:43 AM

White for base coating, I use a neon yellow for the chartreuse blk, opaque blk, a blue you like, a orange for throat patches, and maybe a few pearls pearl white and silver and you could make a variety of different patterns. I wouldn't go overboard until you decide you like painting, I probably have 200 different colors and always find another one I have to have.
Posted By: basscat dad

Re: Basic paint color selection - 06/09/16 02:32 AM

everything brad said is right on the money. get you paints from walmart or hobby lobby to begin. less than $2 for any color you would need. most are either $0.50-$0.97 for 2 oz. get the acrylic paint. cut it with water and pledge floor shine in a 50/50 ratio. you want it to be like skim milk.
watch lots of videos on youtube on lure painting. start with simple color patterns. get a piece of 2" dia. pvc to practice on. lowes and home depot sell them pre-cut to 2'. clean up easy and last forever.
Posted By: Bois d'arc

Re: Basic paint color selection - 06/12/16 02:31 PM

What the guys said is true. Personally I would start with the basic Opaque color set..white, black, red, yellow, green, blue, etc. The color kit sells at Wally world, pretty cheap. Get a color wheel and learn how to use it... Hobby Lobby sells them. With this stuff you can mix and match and learn what colors you like best. You'll be adding paints and colors as you go. Probably transparent then pearls. Great fun and addictive....Good luck.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum