Texas Fishing Forum

Holographic Lures

Posted By: Dakota22

Holographic Lures - 06/02/16 03:23 AM

So, this might be a dumb question to some, but I'm just curious; how do yall get that holographic finish on those cranks? I'm about to buy my first airbrush and I'm wondering how its done. I know there will be a lot of practice, trial and error, and screw ups just to make a basic colored crank. I'm just curious though to know how and what to buy to attempt something similar. Thanks gentlemen.
Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad

Re: Holographic Lures - 06/02/16 05:42 AM

I buy mine with it already on them, cost on average about 15 cents more per bait and it's alot easier and less time consuming doing so.
Posted By: Bois d'arc

Re: Holographic Lures - 06/02/16 07:12 PM

I'm with Brad on this one...easier and faster to buy blanks with holographic foil already on them. Doing the foiling yourself can produce some nice effects, but its pretty messy.
Posted By: basscat dad

Re: Holographic Lures - 06/03/16 12:47 PM

i'll vouch for that!

Re: Holographic Lures - 06/03/16 05:43 PM

Ok, cool thanks guys. Any particular store/website that's better than the others?

Re: Holographic Lures - 06/03/16 05:57 PM

The best bodies imo in no particular order would be getbitcustombaits.com dingerbaits.com and dakotalakestackle.com there are a few other places to get them but as far as consistent quality baits that is your top 3

Re: Holographic Lures - 06/03/16 08:01 PM

Ok sounds good. What's the best way to finish them after painting? Thanks for all of your help!

Re: Holographic Lures - 06/03/16 08:25 PM

Most people use devcon 2 ton epoxy 30 min work time and brush it on. In reality you have about 8-10 minutes of working time.

There are alot of other options for top coats, but devcon is te most popular.

Re: Holographic Lures - 06/03/16 08:26 PM

Watch Dakota lakes tackle and lure me in on YouTube you can learn alot by watching their videos.
Posted By: Streetwalker

Re: Holographic Lures - 06/05/16 08:40 PM

Mix the Devcon, mix a bit of denatured alcohol in it to thin it just a bit. Then put the cup containing the epoxy on or in a bed of ice. I've gotten pot life of up to 45 minutes doing that.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum