Texas Fishing Forum

still playing with this crackle stuff

Posted By: basscat dad

still playing with this crackle stuff - 01/24/16 05:49 PM

tried a new technique. seems to work a little better. better control of the crackle. still don't have it down yet. hard to get any consistency from one bait to another or even from one side of a bait to another.
Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad

Re: still playing with this crackle stuff - 01/24/16 06:03 PM

That is interesting to say the least, I really think the crackle would be a great option on a craw pattern. Use the colors I gave you for a inferno craw put the crackle for the scallop lines. If it works out I need some smile

Re: still playing with this crackle stuff - 01/24/16 09:16 PM

just so happen to have three in that pattern ready to try the crackle on. putting the crackle on at the right time is the puzzle. i did one last night but put the crackle on too early and the finishing colors pretty much blocked out the crackle. bummer too because it was a decent crackle job. no clear coat on it yet

Posted By: Bois d'arc

Re: still playing with this crackle stuff - 01/25/16 02:13 PM

PM'd you some crackle paint related posts. If they work please share them here.

I agree with Brad...crackle finish is perfect for crayfish shell patterns. Fine lines of crackle under the inferno pattern would be awesome. Good luck with the crackle finish it looks like you're getting very close.

Re: still playing with this crackle stuff - 01/25/16 03:54 PM

i read that post on crackle. doesn't sound like there's any single answer to getting that stuff to work. i thought the use of a gloss finish under the crackle coat had merit. a slicker undercoat would let the crackle contract more easily when it's drying. i'll give that a shot.
i sent createx an email last night to see if they make, or can make, a non-pigmented paint. not a clear coat but an actual clear paint. with that i could completely finish the color pattern, add the crackle medium and then spray the clear on the crackle. it should dry and crack and not affect the color pattern on the bait. no answer yet from createx.
here's the first crackle craw with clear coat. also put some bronze glitter in the clear coat on just the sections. not too bad but can be better. you can barely see the crackle under the final paint coats.
Posted By: Bois d'arc

Re: still playing with this crackle stuff - 01/25/16 07:38 PM

Great looking bait BC. I like the muted cracking...looks realistic. A little more might just make it even better.
Posted By: Blue Moon

Re: still playing with this crackle stuff - 01/25/16 11:25 PM

Wow - Those are both great looking baits. Impressive Basscat.

Blue Moon

Re: still playing with this crackle stuff - 01/25/16 11:28 PM

thanks you sir! still trying to get the technique smoothed out but it will come together sooner or later.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum