Texas Fishing Forum

silver and gold "tacky" fliter shad...and they were looking soooo nice

Posted By: basscat dad

silver and gold "tacky" fliter shad...and they were looking soooo nice - 01/16/16 05:19 PM

thought i'd share my anguish with you guys. here's what i haven't been able to salvage...yet
Posted By: HItec Redneck

Re: silver and gold "tacky" fliter shad...and they were looking soooo nice - 01/16/16 09:02 PM

Those look really nice.

Re: silver and gold "tacky" fliter shad...and they were looking soooo nice - 01/16/16 09:10 PM

thanks hitec. hopefully i can fix the problem and they all become quality lures. one great thing about painting baits is you can always do another one.
Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad

Re: silver and gold "tacky" fliter shad...and they were looking soooo nice - 01/17/16 03:54 AM

That gold flitter is great man, I bet they would have sold in a heartbeat at the show.
Posted By: Bois d'arc

Re: silver and gold "tacky" fliter shad...and they were looking soooo nice - 01/17/16 03:32 PM

Like those patterns BC thumb. Maybe dipping one in AC1315 and then drying it might get the sticky out??

Re: silver and gold "tacky" fliter shad...and they were looking soooo nice - 01/17/16 03:42 PM

yeah that was my intention but it didn't work out. they're still a little sticky this morning. i really like the way the gold flitter turned out too.

Re: silver and gold "tacky" fliter shad...and they were looking soooo nice - 01/17/16 03:57 PM

hi bois. i've got some ac 1315 and i'm going to dip one of the baits and see what happens. theyre not quite as tacky this morning but still not the solid finish that d2t usually has. painful lesson.
i think baking the super glue in the dehydrator may have caused the problem. ive got a couple practice baits im going to repeat the process on and see if happens again.
already got several base coated and ready to paint in the gold flitter pattern. nice thing about doing your own.
also toying with the idea of incorporating the crackle finish into the flitter pattern somehow. then again maybe not. brads got a craw color combo that i think would look great with crackle and craw detail. kinda like this but in his colors.
Posted By: Bois d'arc

Re: silver and gold "tacky" fliter shad...and they were looking soooo nice - 01/17/16 06:55 PM

It would be interested to see how 1315 over epoxy works out. I bought a bottle of Crackle paint but I've been busy working on stencils and haven't tried it yet. Always thought that Crackle paint looks like a crawfish shell. The Emory Creek crawfish you did long ago might look great with the crackle effect.
Posted By: Blue Moon

Re: silver and gold "tacky" fliter shad...and they were looking soooo nice - 01/18/16 01:23 AM

Great looking crackle!

Blue Moon

Re: silver and gold "tacky" fliter shad...and they were looking soooo nice - 01/22/16 12:42 AM

ok here's an update on the "sticky" flitters. i dipped one in the 1315 and baked it in the dehydrator. still sticky. it's been however many days now and they're still sticky where the super glue is. in fact this morning two of them were stuck together where i had them hanging. soooo, i'm going to let them hang there for ??? long and see if they eventually harden.
other than completely stripping them down and repainting i'm not sure what else to try. maybe another light coat of d2t.

Re: silver and gold "tacky" fliter shad...and they were looking soooo nice - 01/22/16 01:33 AM

I would try and sand one with like 1500 grit to see if you can remove some of the glue and also smooth out some of the holes a little then another topcoat of your choice.

Re: silver and gold "tacky" fliter shad...and they were looking soooo nice - 01/22/16 03:29 AM

might be worth a try. only concern is sanding that tacky area. i imagine it will gum up the 1200-1500 grit pretty quick. in retrospect i should have just put another thin coat of d2t on and called it good. cry

Re: silver and gold "tacky" fliter shad...and they were looking soooo nice - 01/22/16 07:30 AM

Wet sand it buddy I bet it will work

Re: silver and gold "tacky" fliter shad...and they were looking soooo nice - 01/22/16 12:47 PM

could be the answer. we'll see and i'll let you know. it is something i haven't tried.

Re: silver and gold "tacky" fliter shad...and they were looking soooo nice - 01/22/16 01:41 PM

I know a few things about wet sanding only do it about 4 hrs a day smile

Re: silver and gold "tacky" fliter shad...and they were looking soooo nice - 01/22/16 05:12 PM

i will give it a shot this afternoon. right now headed to hobby lobby to see if they have a replacement tip for my cs. was doing a thorough cleaning this morning and dropped the tip. of all the ways it could land it fell square on the nose and closed it up just a little. i used an old needle and opened it back up but haven't shot any paint through it yet. could be a mess so a new one is in order.

Re: silver and gold "tacky" fliter shad...and they were looking soooo nice - 01/22/16 06:03 PM

Hey I know a guy that did that last week. Good luck with your repair.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum