Texas Fishing Forum

Removing Power Coat Paint

Posted By: Bois d'arc

Removing Power Coat Paint - 12/04/15 11:01 PM

Does anyone have a tried and true method for removing powder coat paint from lead head baits?
Posted By: Txmedic033

Re: Removing Power Coat Paint - 12/04/15 11:19 PM

I don't think that it is possible without damaging the lead head.
Posted By: ifeliciano

Re: Removing Power Coat Paint - 12/05/15 01:55 AM

Saw this on Youtube. Its a chemical to strip powder coat paints.

http://www.mileschemicalsolutions.com/Remove_Powder_Coat_Remover.html

Re: Removing Power Coat Paint - 12/05/15 10:43 PM

Good find by Ifeliciano. Costs $50 for a gallon...lasts over a year without spoiling and is user friendly. Looks like just the thing to clean chipped and damaged powder off jigs and spinnerbaits. With spinnerbaits costing $5 - 12 each and jigs at $3 - 5 each this stuff could pay for itself pretty quickly. thumb
Posted By: ifeliciano

Re: Removing Power Coat Paint - 12/06/15 07:06 AM

Glad I could help!
Posted By: Streetwalker

Re: Removing Power Coat Paint - 12/06/15 09:36 PM

Any good paint remover will work, just takes some time.

Re: Removing Power Coat Paint - 12/10/15 01:20 AM

bump

Re: Removing Power Coat Paint - 12/16/15 04:39 PM

Tried Streetwalker's suggestion...bought some paint stripper from Wally World..Strip-X Stripper made by Klean Strip. The stuff works great. Dropped several spinnerbaits in a small bowl of the stuff and 30-45 minutes later the finish just fell away. Washing the bait in water and useing a toothbrush to scrub the stubborn spots will get it down to a shiny new looking head. thumb

Re: Removing Power Coat Paint - 12/20/15 07:34 PM

Update on this post:
Strip-X Stripper made by Klean Strip is indeed a great tool for removing paint, clear coat and powder coat from metal lures. So far I've been able to get down to bare metal without any degradation of the metal. Takes off clear epoxy, concrete sealer, etc....most of the stuff normally used as a clear coat. However, the fumes are nasty so please use a mask of some sort and/or use this stuff in a well ventilated area. texas
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum