Texas Fishing Forum

If you pour lead

Posted By: Donald Harper

If you pour lead - 08/10/15 10:41 PM

Those that have been having a hard time finding lead there is some on the THF.

http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbth...weights.#UNREAD
Posted By: Streetwalker

Re: If you pour lead - 08/12/15 04:58 PM

If you want LEAD let me know.

If you want carp use wheel weights. You get to sort them to remove the zinc, you'll get maybe 70% yield if you're lucky and it will pour like carp on a lot of molds. Not to mention it will void what little warranty you get with a Lee pot.

I'll provide smelted lead to TFF members for $1 a pound + shipping.
Posted By: Txmedic033

Re: If you pour lead - 08/12/15 05:09 PM

He is right. I ruined my Lee pot by melting wheel weights. Only pure lead goes into my RCBS Pro Melt.

Re: If you pour lead - 08/12/15 09:47 PM

I ruined one using some "lead" I was given. Turns out it was wheel weights and there was so much zinc in it that it formed a zinc/lead sponge on top of my pot. Poured it out and you could take the ingots and break them in half there was so much zinc it it.
Posted By: texasbass1

Re: If you pour lead - 08/12/15 10:07 PM

Interesting I've poured WW through a Lee pot for a bunch of years and never had a problem with it. You do need to watch out for zinc but I never heard of a problem pouring WW

Re: If you pour lead - 08/13/15 03:03 PM

You've got a older pot. Newer ones specifically state that use of anything but pure lead will damage the pot and void the warranty.

Reason being is people are smelting wheel weights and not getting all the zinc out, since lead melts at 621 and zinc melts at 786 it causes problems if you are using something like a turkey cooker to smelt your metal. I have to keep my burner turned almost all the way down to prevent the lead from boiling. It would melt zinc in a heartbeat.
Posted By: Jim Reaneau

Re: If you pour lead - 08/19/15 12:52 PM

I melt WW in a castiorn pot on my fish cooker out side for better ventilation. I spoon off the non usable and put it in a can. Put part of a candle in to purifie the lead. This will cause a fire but it will burn our quickly. Stir the lead and the candle will get you some good lead. I use the old corn bread molds to pore into to make it eaiser to use. I remelt the stuff i skim off and will get some more lead as some of this is alamoney or tin that you need in your lead to help harden it.

Re: If you pour lead - 08/19/15 01:39 PM

A fish cooker can easily melt the zinc wheel weights. Zinc is bad.
Posted By: NekidTackle

Re: If you pour lead - 08/20/15 08:17 PM

Since we all know the melting tempratures that Lead, Antimony and Zinc melt...here is what i use to monitor temperature:

Thermocouple Meter for CHEAPS

Figured I would share that with this group since I have learned so much from everyone. It is very accurate, can "Handle The Heat", which lets you monitor temperature to 1-2 degrees accuracy. I also use it when pouring lead, for the same reasons.
I smelt Lead weights and use this, so that the other stuff never melts, and I get good clean lead.

I was looking at the high temp analog gage, but his cost 4 times less, you can monitor 2 different sources, and CHEAP....but well built and again Very Accurate.

Ron
Posted By: SamCollins123

Re: If you pour lead - 08/22/15 06:12 PM

Tire weights are bad lol
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum