Texas Fishing Forum

attempted blueback herring

Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad

attempted blueback herring - 07/26/15 05:58 AM

Found out I had some family going on a week long fishing trip to Arkansas this week figured I would send them with a care package. Built them some jigs and shaky heads and tried to do some blueback herring, although I think I'll just name them bait fish pattern. I may or may not have had 1 to many cocktails before painting. Open to suggestions or criticism on the pattern.

Posted By: Txmedic033

Re: attempted blueback herring - 07/26/15 11:26 AM

Looks pretty good. The only thing I could think to add is maybe some pink on the sides of the belly near the anal fin, but I doubt that the fish will care. I have to make some of these in 110 jerkbaits for a friend in the next month or so.
Posted By: basscat dad

Re: attempted blueback herring - 07/26/15 12:11 PM

you should imbibe cheers more often before you paint...lol...those look pretty good,
Posted By: Bois d'arc

Re: attempted blueback herring - 07/26/15 02:45 PM

Please don't mistake this for criticism...just lure painters talking painting. Looks good overall. .. might shade the eyes a bit, maybe some on the gill plate...not sure what color. Purple tint under the kill dot is a nice touch. Wondering how misting a purple tint more to the center of the blank then the spraying the other colors over it and ending with the kill dot in center of the purple would look? Good job on both blanks and jigs thumb

Re: attempted blueback herring - 07/26/15 05:03 PM

I shaded the back side of the eyes and a little on the gill plates with a light coat of a tan it's hard to make out in the pics, I just didn't want to overdue it. I didn't have time to repaint anything I have to have them ready this afternoon. Just finished up powdercoat and about to bake the heads. This is what I ended up with, surly they can catch something. Thanks for the suggestions I'll have more time to research the next batch of herring.

Re: attempted blueback herring - 07/26/15 05:07 PM

On a positive note I have seen where the striped bass are schooling all over the lake they are going to so it's shouldn't be hard to catch some of those. Reports are large and smallmouth are not easy to catch unless you are fishing deep structure with a dropshot.

Re: attempted blueback herring - 07/26/15 05:12 PM

Those look like really nice sexy shads.
Posted By: NekidTackle

Re: attempted blueback herring - 07/26/15 05:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Txmedic033
Those look like really nice sexy shads.

What he said!!!

Re: attempted blueback herring - 07/26/15 05:43 PM

I'm going to agree with both of yall imo the herring look alot like sexy shad that is kinda what had me confused last night.

Re: attempted blueback herring - 07/26/15 07:01 PM

I guess sexy herring just didn't have the same ring to it. hmmm

Re: attempted blueback herring - 07/26/15 09:14 PM

Lol I guess not, even looking at most herring patters they resemble sexy shad imo. Got my care packages ready to head to Arkansas.

Posted By: Bois d'arc

Re: attempted blueback herring - 07/27/15 01:31 AM

Nice selection of lures... great work.
Posted By: T54

Re: attempted blueback herring - 07/27/15 05:38 AM

I'd go with a little more muted of a blue on top, more like a light purple. Thin, opaque yellow line and a little more or a silver/chrome shade on the sides and belly, rather than the pure white. These look like Sexy shad and Blueback herring made some babies.
Posted By: basscat dad

Re: attempted blueback herring - 07/27/15 05:19 PM

hey "b". i was looking through the baits i'd painted to get some ideas on a pattern for a chrome i'm working on and came across this fellow. i'd forgotten i ever painted it. blue back herring over silver foil. just another way to go. i still like yours better.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum