Texas Fishing Forum

Favorite Spook patterns

Posted By: Bois d'arc

Favorite Spook patterns - 07/25/15 02:47 PM

Recently found a great spot for fishing Spooks. Tried putting my all-time favorite Spook patterns on a few blanks. Not cleared and waiting on amphibian style eyes for the Bullfrog. Still working on a Flash Spook pattern. When that's done its topwater time! Can't wait texas

Posted By: Txmedic033

Re: Favorite Spook patterns - 07/25/15 03:02 PM

Those look great! Is that rattle can chrome?

Re: Favorite Spook patterns - 07/25/15 03:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Txmedic033
Those look great! Is that rattle can chrome?

Nope its foil. Finally able to put foil on a lure, but still lots of room for improvement.
Wondering what hooks to put on them. Factory Spooks have long shank hooks...don't really like them, but maybe there's a reason??
Posted By: basscat dad

Re: Favorite Spook patterns - 07/25/15 03:41 PM

hey bois i've got lots of reptile eyes if you want to get some to finish that bait. just let me know and we can meet at the chic filet.
do you want a couple dressed trebles for the backs of those. you pick the color scheme.

Re: Favorite Spook patterns - 07/25/15 04:23 PM

Originally Posted By: basscat dad
hey bois i've got lots of reptile eyes if you want to get some to finish that bait. just let me know and we can meet at the chic filet.
do you want a couple dressed trebles for the backs of those. you pick the color scheme.

That sounds great...was thinking we should get together and toss a few thoughts on existentialism around, or just discuss lure stuff grin. I would love a few of those eyes before I spend $$ on a bunch of them. Dressed trebles....fantastic. Maybe something yellowish for the frog and white/silverish for the black shiner...pretty sure somebody will offer a few ideas on the dressed treble colors.
Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad

Re: Favorite Spook patterns - 07/25/15 04:40 PM

Bone is my favorite spook color, I use a gami magic eye short shank #4 on mine. They look great BTW
Posted By: Txmedic033

Re: Favorite Spook patterns - 07/25/15 04:44 PM

Just make sure that your wife can get ahold of you this time. roflmao

Re: Favorite Spook patterns - 07/25/15 05:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad
Bone is my favorite spook color, I use a gami magic eye short shank #4 on mine. They look great BTW

Bone is absolutely a good top-water color..especially on a baby torpedo 2cents
Appreciate the hook info...really don't like the factory hooks much.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Favorite Spook patterns - 07/25/15 05:14 PM

This is maybe my favorite topwater in my favorite color scheme. I think it would be deadly on a spook.

Re: Favorite Spook patterns - 07/25/15 05:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Txmedic033

Just make sure that your wife can get ahold of you this time. roflmao

man you got that right. i heard about that for weeks. whip

Re: Favorite Spook patterns - 07/25/15 05:41 PM

Originally Posted By: boisarc

That sounds great...was thinking we should get together and toss a few thoughts on existentialism around, or just discuss lure stuff grin. I would love a few of those eyes before I spend $$ on a bunch of them. Dressed trebles....fantastic. Maybe something yellowish for the frog and white/silverish for the black shiner...pretty sure somebody will offer a few ideas on the dressed treble colors.

i'll see what i can dream up for the trebles. how long are those baits?

Re: Favorite Spook patterns - 07/25/15 09:13 PM

i'll see what i can dream up for the trebles. how long are those baits?

About 4.5 inches long.

Re: Favorite Spook patterns - 07/28/15 01:56 PM

Originally Posted By: collincountytx
This is maybe my favorite topwater in my favorite color scheme. I think it would be deadly on a spook.

Looks like a fathead minnow to me.

Colors: Back and upper sides dark olive to dark gray, becoming white to yellow on undersides with a dusky or gray midlateral band. Thin dark lines outline scale in a distinctive herring-bone pattern that is most notable midlaterally. Two horizontal bands on sides; upper band yellowish and the lower bluish. Looks like a great pattern to put on a topwater or shallow diving lure. Thanks for the reply CCTX. texas
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Favorite Spook patterns - 07/28/15 04:39 PM

This is my Money Spook that I do all the tweaking to. I would really like two just like it but with those scales outlined in Chrome.

Re: Favorite Spook patterns - 07/28/15 05:19 PM

Got one on the bench that is pretty close....called a Jap Flash Shad. Japanese painters added a little detail to the Flash Spook and I used that pattern as a base for a Flash Shad idea. It doesn't have the foil scales you're looking for. Currently out of spook style blanks but will be getting more soon. I'll try foiling a couple and putting your Flash Shad pattern over the foil...should look really cool thumb. Thanks for the reply Donald. I'll post pictures when I get 'em. texas

Re: Favorite Spook patterns - 08/06/15 03:18 PM

Recently found a great spot for fishing Spooks. Tried putting my all-time favorite Spook patterns on a few blanks. Not cleared and waiting on amphibian style eyes for the Bullfrog. Still working on a Flash Spook pattern. When that's done its topwater time! Can't wait texas

think these will work?

Posted By: fouzman

Re: Favorite Spook patterns - 08/06/15 03:23 PM

Flitter Shad

Re: Favorite Spook patterns - 08/07/15 11:43 AM

Perfect thumb

Re: Favorite Spook patterns - 08/16/15 02:17 AM

Dressed treble hooks courtesy of Basscatdad.

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum