Texas Fishing Forum

Holograph Threadfin

Posted By: Bois d'arc

Holograph Threadfin - 06/18/15 12:36 AM

Haven't painted in a while so I tried a threadfin pattern to get started again. These look awesome in direct sunlight...color shift is very realistic.

Lure blanks are RT-1.5 & DDRT-1.5's from M&R. Coloration: dorsal region blue-green with yellow hue; lateral region holographic foil with white belly; dark shoulder spot and several darker lateral markings; eyes are gold 6mm hard plastic.
texas
Posted By: basscat dad

Re: Holograph Threadfin - 06/18/15 01:42 AM

hi bois!. the time off didn't diminish your skills any. nice looking baits. were they already holographic? are you free for some coffee on friday.
Posted By: C Worthy

Re: Holograph Threadfin - 06/18/15 02:06 AM

Those are incredible Bo. It is hard to imagine that they look better than the pictures. Wow.

Re: Holograph Threadfin - 06/18/15 01:35 PM

Originally Posted By: basscat dad
hi bois!. the time off didn't diminish your skills any. nice looking baits. were they already holographic? are you free for some coffee on friday.

Yes they were already covered in holographic foil. I've been playing around with the color shift that holographic tape creates when covered with different types of paint. Pretty cool the way it changes a colors intensity and hue when in direct light. Yes Friday is good. Where and when?

Re: Holograph Threadfin - 06/18/15 09:25 PM

how about around 10:00 somewhere along geo bush east of 75. there's a target, chic filet and some other places on n garland ave. you want to meet there?

Re: Holograph Threadfin - 06/19/15 12:01 AM

how about around 10:00 somewhere along geo bush east of 75. there's a target, chic filet and some other places on n garland ave. you want to meet there?

There's a 7-11 off the service road at North Garland and 190...across from a WalMart Store. Meet you there at 10:00....I'll be in a blue Toyota SR5 truck....."Army Dad" license plate frame.

Re: Holograph Threadfin - 06/19/15 03:04 AM

Originally Posted By: boisarc

There's a 7-11 off the service road at North Garland and 190...across from a WalMart Store. Meet you there at 10:00....I'll be in a blue Toyota SR5 truck....."Army Dad" license plate frame.

sounds good. see you in the morning. i'll be in a red buick regal.
Posted By: Txmedic033

Re: Holograph Threadfin - 06/19/15 03:08 AM

I have tried quite a few holographic baits so far. Your posts just remind me that I need to go back to the drawing board. Amazing work as always.

Re: Holograph Threadfin - 06/19/15 12:06 PM

The foiled sides come as close as anything I've seen to duplicating the color shift in some minnows and shad. A few months back BC posted some of his foiled lures that looked great...lots of flash. I've been playing around with painting foiled lures since those first posts. Iridescent colors applied over foil can create interesting color hues with changing angles of light and perspective. If you've ever held a shad in direst sunlight and looked closely it seems to change coloration ever so slightly depending on how its held in relation to the light. In my opinion, the foiled lures and particularly holographic foil has that same quality. Thinking holographic glitter paint might have the same effect over paint. The idea is to get that color shift found in nature. texas
Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad

Re: Holograph Threadfin - 06/19/15 12:48 PM

I have had lots of thinking time since my painting has been shut down. I have a truck load of holographic blanks headed this way. If any of them turn out half as good as the ones you have posted I'll be very happy, I ordered some holographic little john squarebills that I really want to do something similar to your holographic gizzard also some in the 1.5dd blank. That has been by far my best producer lately painted in natural bone.

Re: Holograph Threadfin - 06/22/15 01:38 PM

Field tested the 1.5 holographic threadfin lures for the first time. Better results than anticipated. While the crankbait bite wasn't as strong as I had hoped I managed to boat a few nice bass. Every strike was hard and the lure was inhaled deep into the bass's mouth. Down side was that a few of them were gill hooked...and bled out pretty badly...hate it when that happens. I've been told that if they bleed from the gill area they'll die?? Not sure if that's true, but it stands to reason. Anyway, the holographic shad patterns flat catch bass..and crappie..and hybrid bass. Very pleased with the results thumb

Was raining most of the time I was out so I didn't take many pics....here are a couple taken between rain showers....enough rain already!!

Posted By: C Worthy

Re: Holograph Threadfin - 06/22/15 02:02 PM

Now that's what I'm talking about. Way to go BO. Just goes to show that the bass like real craftsmanship too. smile
Posted By: Txmedic033

Re: Holograph Threadfin - 06/22/15 02:30 PM

I keep Sprite or 7up in my boat cooler at all times. If you pour any soda onto the fish's gills, it stops the bleeding instantly. I use citrus soda because I also add it to my fish fillets to get rid of any fishy taste and make the fillets taste sweeter.
Posted By: Bayou Burner

Re: Holograph Threadfin - 06/22/15 04:15 PM

Outstanding! Really enjoy veiwing all of these paint schemes you guys are producing. Wonder when we'll see some major manufactures copying your patterns... stir Just joking. grin

Re: Holograph Threadfin - 06/23/15 03:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Txmedic033
I keep Sprite or 7up in my boat cooler at all times. If you pour any soda onto the fish's gills, it stops the bleeding instantly.

Good reply I'll try this next time....several of the bass I caught just inhaled the bait deep into the gullet.....really hard to get treble hooks out and not harm the bass. Thought about using a pair of cutting pliers to snip the hook??

Re: Holograph Threadfin - 06/23/15 04:03 PM

Originally Posted By: (Bayou Burner) Cole K.
Outstanding! Really enjoy veiwing all of these paint schemes you guys are producing. Wonder when we'll see some major manufactures copying your patterns... stir Just joking. grin

I started out copying theirs eeks....guess it would have to be considered a compliment if a major copied one of ours. texas

Re: Holograph Threadfin - 06/23/15 05:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad
... I have a truck load of holographic blanks headed this way. If any of them turn out half as good as the ones you have posted I'll be very happy, I ordered some holographic little john squarebills ...

Glad you like the patterns Brad. I really believe the holographic finish adds to the realistic look of shad patterns. I haven't painted any of the LittleJohn blanks but may be ordering a few to test them out out. hmmm
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum