Texas Fishing Forum

first bleeding baits

Posted By: basscat dad

first bleeding baits - 05/16/15 12:10 AM

tried my hand at a bleeding bait. used the chrome as the base color shot over krylon primer. took the devcon without a problem.
Posted By: crankn101

Re: first bleeding baits - 05/16/15 12:14 AM

cheers
Posted By: C Worthy

Re: first bleeding baits - 05/16/15 12:26 AM

Those are pretty darn nice.... good job bud.

Re: first bleeding baits - 05/16/15 12:57 AM

thank you sir!
Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad

Re: first bleeding baits - 05/16/15 01:42 AM

I need to order that stencil I can already tell. I bet if you taped a wide tooth comb to it you could do a sweet white crappie pattern.

Very nice paint job bcd, I had planned to clear my chrome baits tonight. The bed is calling my name though been up for 28 hours now 8 hours of work and 8 hours of fishing plus chasing these kiddos and I am done. I picked up some auto clear and devcon so I'm going to make these chrome paint jobs work one way or another.

Re: first bleeding baits - 05/16/15 03:48 AM

Originally Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad
I need to order that stencil I can already tell. I bet if you taped a wide tooth comb to it you could do a sweet white crappie pattern.

Very nice paint job bcd, I had planned to clear my chrome baits tonight. The bed is calling my name though been up for 28 hours now 8 hours of work and 8 hours of fishing plus chasing these kiddos and I am done. I picked up some auto clear and devcon so I'm going to make these chrome paint jobs work one way or another.

actually those were done freehand with an artist sponge but you're right, that stencil would have worked great. gonna try and fish in the morning and do some painting in the afternoon. i've got a couple baits that are almost done that i'm going to use that stencil on. should work great.
Posted By: the skipper

Re: first bleeding baits - 05/16/15 05:16 AM

Good looking baits. For you guys that use devcon or other heavy epoxies, do yall not have problems with the action of the baits? I tried epoxy but it makes the baits way to buoyant for me. I still use a 2 part mix epoxy, actually a bar or table top coating kit that works really well but still has a lot of buoyancy. What else is there?
Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad

Re: first bleeding baits - 05/16/15 12:45 PM

If you use a few drops of acetone in the Devcon it will thin it just a little bit and not coat it so thick. I use ac1315 and dip them, it takes 3 coats to get a good strong finish, it's not near as buoyant as the devcon, but it doesn't like some colors of paints and will peal the paint off when you dip them.

Re: first bleeding baits - 05/16/15 12:55 PM

Originally Posted By: the skipper
Good looking baits. For you guys that use devcon or other heavy epoxies, do yall not have problems with the action of the baits? I tried epoxy but it makes the baits way to buoyant for me. I still use a 2 part mix epoxy, actually a bar or table top coating kit that works really well but still has a lot of buoyancy. What else is there?

i add 3 or 4 drops of isopropyl alcohol to the devcon for a single bait amount. i get a better coating that way. not as thick. it seems to take a little longer to cure but it also seems to give me a harder finish.
Posted By: Bois d'arc

Re: first bleeding baits - 05/16/15 02:18 PM

BC this is a really good wounded bait look. I've been experimenting around with wounded or bleeding effects, also. Thinkin' you nailed it thumb

Re: first bleeding baits - 05/16/15 02:55 PM

Originally Posted By: boisarc

BC this is a really good wounded bait look. I've been experimenting around with wounded or bleeding effects, also. Thinkin' you nailed it thumb

thanks bois. my son, john, actually came up with the idea of having it run the length of the bait tapering off as it went back. i was just going to do a little around the gills but he made the point that if a fish was bleeding and trying to swim all the blood would trail along the body. made sense to me.

Re: first bleeding baits - 05/16/15 03:38 PM

Originally Posted By: basscat dad
thanks bois. my son, john, actually came up with the idea of having it run the length of the bait tapering off as it went back. i was just going to do a little around the gills but he made the point that if a fish was bleeding and trying to swim all the blood would trail along the body. made sense to me.

I've picked up a few "chewed on" shad and looked at the wounds....little white meat showing alongside the red blood...your son's idea is just about perfect thumb

Re: first bleeding baits - 05/24/15 04:36 PM

Attempted to add some blood and wound detail to a few baits. The bream gill has a faint blood trail (not the best picture) and the shad has a bite mark behind the belly. Think I'll use BC's sponge idea for the next chewed up shad hmmm

Re: first bleeding baits - 05/24/15 04:47 PM

Originally Posted By: boisarc

Attempted to add some blood and wound detail to a few baits. The bream gill has a faint blood trail (not the best picture) and the shad has a bite mark behind the belly. Think I'll use BC's sponge idea for the next chewed up shad hmmm

good looking. i like a little less "blood" on the bait. the next ones i do will be more subdued.

Re: first bleeding baits - 05/24/15 06:53 PM

Still think you're onto something using the art sponge to apply blood patterns

thumb
Posted By: Txmedic033

Re: first bleeding baits - 05/24/15 07:42 PM

He sure is. I am going to try that pretty soon. I saved a pic of his and the ones Carlos posted awhile back to use as a reference.

Re: first bleeding baits - 09/23/16 08:59 PM

For some really nice bleeding effects use a red marker to bloody up an area on the lure then, dip an art brush in alcohol and shake the excess off...lightly brush over the red marker...the red will begin to run a little. Experiment around with the amount of alcohol and direction of the brush strokes...while the red is still slightly wet flick the lure and let the blood streaks run a little...once you get it down its a great bleeding effect.
Posted By: Battson34

Re: first bleeding baits - 09/23/16 09:24 PM

Very nice

Re: first bleeding baits - 09/24/16 06:04 PM

Colored marker pens can be used to make detail such as lines and dots on your lures. The trick is not to apply too much pressure and to let each stroke dry before going over the same line...otherwise your paint comes off on the marker. Using a clear inter-coat before using a marker helps avoid "erasing" your paint and afterward to keep the colors "set".

Re: first bleeding baits - 10/08/16 04:30 PM

A pair of 1/4 ounce traps painted to imitate injured shad. I let the plastic craze and wrinkle then came back with a round detail brush to apply some red to the belly area. Ended up with a lure that looks like something took a bite out of it. I use them in hard bottom areas where bass are feeding on shad. Remove the back hook and jump them off the bottom allowing them to fall like injured shad. Bass will devour them...You'll get some really violent strikes using this method.

Re: first bleeding baits - 10/10/16 05:14 PM

ok all you blood thirsty lurists out there. i tried a new method this morning. i think it has potential but needs some practice to get right. here's the first attempts on a couple baits.

Re: first bleeding baits - 10/10/16 05:45 PM

I like it thumb...wonder how it would look if the blood was painted first then followed by a few coats of pearl white or an appropriate pearl color. Sprayed lightly until the desired bleeding effect was reached.

Re: first bleeding baits - 10/10/16 06:03 PM

it definitely needs a misting to cut down the texas chainsaw massacre look. i'm going to do that on them before i do any clear coat. the other thing is the size of the red drop to begin the whole thing. those were done with almost a full drop and that's way too much red. a little of that goes a long long way.
also going to try diluting the red down to an ink consistency so it runs and try using a dropper to apply. might have more control that way but i do like the randomness of the red doing it this way.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum