Texas Fishing Forum

Today's Idea...

Posted By: RiveraTackleCo.

Today's Idea... - 03/08/15 12:13 AM

I had this idea the other day for a squarebill type bait that i can throw in and around junk/laydowns/stickups without getting hung up....Gonna try it out tomorrow....Not sure if its even gonna work. Drumroll please.............................................................................................................................................................

and here's the skirt that will be sliding on the back of that squarebill body...

Like i said...not sure if it will even work properly , but going to give it a try. I completely forgot to paint the black ear marks around the gills too...bummer....Anyway, ill keep you folks posted. BTW, it will have a small trailer on that hook for weedguard purposes....Thanks
Posted By: Ban-D

Re: Today's Idea... - 03/08/15 12:31 AM

Man,that's is cool. I hope it works! I've seen the soft bodied cranks wit the frog hook but this is cooler imo. Squarebill swim jig? I wonder what it would look like with a swimbait trailer.
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Today's Idea... - 03/08/15 04:24 AM

A swimbait trailer would be killer on that.
Posted By: Spiderman

Re: Today's Idea... - 03/08/15 02:27 PM

Straight tail 4&1/2" Live Magic Shad would work well on that!

Re: Today's Idea... - 03/08/15 03:36 PM

Posted By: C Worthy

Re: Today's Idea... - 03/08/15 04:31 PM

OK Carlos, I don't know much but physics is one of those things I work with a lot. I love that concept but if I am not wrong, if whatever you put on the hook does not create enough bottom drag to counter the inertia created by the crank bill, the bait will spin and not go back and forth. In the original designs of crankbaits, that is what the weight of the hooks and the over-all mass of the rest of the bait does. I could be dead wrong and actually I hope that I am. But with the addition of a good plastic fluke it might work. Notice I said fluke and not swimbait because you could actually create a counter action with the crank bill and paddle tail on a swimbait. I can't wait to hear how it works. It is amost like the Bill Dance Polywog thingy but his hooks were on the bottom to stop the tendency to spin. Be sure to let us know how it ran. If it does spin, add some stick on lead weight to the throat area and try again. I think you can make it work if it does not on the first try. Not trying to pop your bubble, actually trying to encourage you to make this work.
Posted By: redskeeter190

Re: Today's Idea... - 03/08/15 05:49 PM

I use to do something similar with a jointed rapala.....except with a slugo...minus the skirt.....worked pretty well....bet yours does as well....

Re: Today's Idea... - 03/08/15 06:14 PM

I agree about the swimbait add-on...it would cancel out the back and forth action leaving it action less...the inside of the Squarebill head has extra weight added from the filler I used. I didn't want to weigh it down too much though...my intentions were to add a spinner bait trailer only like the zoom twin tail trailer....or a grub.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Today's Idea... - 03/09/15 02:21 AM

Very cool
Posted By: Nathan "Bull" Montgomery

Re: Today's Idea... - 03/09/15 08:39 PM

I like it! eager to hear if it works or not!
Posted By: Steven Hennige

Re: Today's Idea... - 03/18/15 11:01 AM

Very cool, how did it work out ? and when can we order some ? lol
Posted By: Skimpy253

Re: Today's Idea... - 03/19/15 02:25 PM

That is way cool!!! Have you tried it out yet?

Re: Today's Idea... - 03/19/15 11:11 PM

Nope...haven't tried it yet as the dang epoxy didnot set up...i will have to make another one and see how it works. I'll keep everyone updated. Thanks!
Posted By: basscat dad

Re: Today's Idea... - 03/20/15 12:17 AM

gotta love that humidity.
Posted By: sdavis24

Re: Today's Idea... - 05/26/15 09:09 AM

Bump. Did we ever get an update on how it worked (I might have missed that thread)
Posted By: Brad R

Re: Today's Idea... - 05/26/15 11:05 AM

C Worthy brings up an interesting issue, Carlos. You won't know for sure until you run it through a trial . . . in a swimming pool where you can see the action I suppose.

But, one thing comes to my mind regarding canceling any possible lure spin. You could try fabricating the square bill plastic lip itself so that it has a vertical blade element (it would look like a dorsal fin on top of the lip). I think I'd try it three different ways: above the bill, below it, and on both sides.

A vertical element would act as a "keel" and likely pick up some added stability, this along with a neutral plastic trailer for some heft to stabilize it.

And, this added plastic could extend back over the crankbait head, too. Or instead of or in addition to the added bill plastic, use bristles like weed guard on the head . . . sort of like a Mohawk haircut. That would give it more vertical stability running through water.

Brad
Posted By: sdavis24

Re: Today's Idea... - 05/28/15 04:37 AM

Bump ............till we get the test results
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum