Texas Fishing Forum

Make your own stencils for painting hardbaits

Posted By: Bois d'arc

Make your own stencils for painting hardbaits - 02/08/15 12:07 PM

Tried using this setup to make stencils for some of the lure blanks I paint and it worked great.

Plastic milk jugs can be used to make some really nice stencils. Using a heat gun the plastic heats up quickly and gets clear when its ready to be placed over the lure body. The plastic forms to the lure body very well and is easy to cut into patterns.

Materials:
Cake tin with holes drilled into the top
Popsicle sticks glued together to make a frame for holding the plastic
Gator clips to clamp the frames over the plastic
Shop vac
Heat gun
Xacto knife
Milk jugs for stencil material.

Hope this helps someone save a few bucks and make a few nice baits grin
Posted By: basscat dad

Re: Make your own stencils for painting hardbaits - 02/08/15 01:28 PM

did much the same thing. those are excellent stencils by the way!

Re: Make your own stencils for painting hardbaits - 02/09/15 12:24 AM

I think I like your plastic holding frame better. What kind of wood is it made of? looks like it would hold the plastic pretty tight.

Re: Make your own stencils for painting hardbaits - 02/09/15 03:56 AM

not sure what the wood is. came from walmart in the craft section. it's a sign that's designed to go over a door knob. originally it had a hole in one end to go over the knob and i just opened it up to accomodate a 3 x 6" piece of stencil material. the width of the opening is about 2 3/8" wide. you need two of them so you an sandwich the stencil. . they're only about an 1/8" thick and with the three clamps it holds the plastic nicely. i used a razor knife to cut the wood. it cut easily.
and i've quadrupled the number of holes in the vacuum box to get a better draw on the heated plastic.

Re: Make your own stencils for painting hardbaits - 02/09/15 03:29 PM

Outstanding response..... I think that stencil holder is an improvement on my popsicle sticks frame. Gotta try and make one for my setup. Thanks for the info thumb

Re: Make your own stencils for painting hardbaits - 02/22/15 07:21 PM

A TFF'er recently asked me to repaint a lure style that he likes, but isn't too happy with the factory patterns. Its pretty hard to paint due to all the edges and angles so I opted to use stencils to put a clean pattern down. Used the homemade stencil setup and got a few stencils cranked out. Pretty pleased with the way they formed to all the edges and angles on this lure.

Cutting stencils next....hoping I can get a good pattern on this lure eeks

Re: Make your own stencils for painting hardbaits - 02/22/15 11:08 PM

again those are outstanding stencils. are those made from the milk cartons too. i've been cutting some gallon milk containers up to salvage the biggest pieces i can. haven't tried them yet but will do so soon.

Re: Make your own stencils for painting hardbaits - 02/23/15 04:16 PM

Originally Posted By: basscat dad
are those made from the milk cartons too. i've been cutting some gallon milk containers up to salvage the biggest pieces i can. haven't tried them yet but will do so soon.

Yes. they're made from the sides of milk jugs. I can get about three 5"x4" cutouts from each jug. The plastic changes to a clear color when its ready to put on the vacuum box. Its really pliable and will wrap around a lure without having to cut a lure body up. I just pop the lure body out and take the scissors to the plastic cutting it straight down the center backbone of the lure impression. A sharp Exacto knife cuts the patterns easily and will allow for some suprisingly fine details. I recently stumbled on an idea for stencil materials that sounds promising....foam sheets....like you buy at Michael's. I'm told it is easy to work with and makes some very nice edges.

Re: Make your own stencils for painting hardbaits - 02/23/15 04:21 PM

foam sheets huh. hmmm? i'd like to see some done with that. more so like to see how it's done with foam. there are some creative people out there always coming up with something new and different. i feel pretty humble most days when i look at the work thats being done.

Re: Make your own stencils for painting hardbaits - 02/24/15 05:15 PM

Go to TackleUnderground's site and search "Stencil Plastic" in the Hard Baits forum. There's a guy there who posted all the details with pictures. It looks like the foam would make some better edges since the lines would not be sharp like the lines done with a stencil. I'm not steady handed enough to paint some patterns without a stencil. Best guy I've seen paint freehand used the online name "Splattered2010". He did everything freehand and was amazing. I don't know if he still paints but he was really good at it. And you're right...there are some really great airbrush lure painters out there...makes me wonder how they do it??

Re: Make your own stencils for painting hardbaits - 02/28/15 09:42 PM

Here's a few pictures of the lures shown in an earlier comment. A fellow TFF'er wanted them repainted to a firetiger and a bone color. The pictures don't do justice to the firetiger lure and the bone lure's belly looks pink but is actually a fade from orange to pearl tangerine.

Re: Make your own stencils for painting hardbaits - 02/28/15 10:51 PM

Originally Posted By: boisarc
Here's a few pictures of the lures shown in an earlier comment. A fellow TFF'er wanted them repainted to a firetiger and a bone color. The pictures don't do justice to the firetiger lure and the bone lure's belly looks pink but is actually a fade from orange to pearl tangerine.

\
dad gum bois the detail in those is unreal. makes my stuff look like i used a paint roller. beautiful work!

Re: Make your own stencils for painting hardbaits - 03/01/15 04:07 PM

dad gum bois the detail in those is unreal. makes my stuff look like i used a paint roller. beautiful work!

Weird shape and odd angles makes them hard to paint so the compliment is appreciated. Personally I really like the black eyes with bone color. Never thought of it before....just by chance I painted the one with black eyes in bone color and the eyes make it look good.
Posted By: C Worthy

Re: Make your own stencils for painting hardbaits - 03/03/15 07:55 PM

YES THEY DID..... WOOHOO
I be the owner of those VERY FINE pieces of work. I have had boisarc do several lures for me and they have always been outstanding. There is a third one that he has not even revealed to me yet that I am getting a little anxious to see. banana

Re: Make your own stencils for painting hardbaits - 03/04/15 05:18 AM

Thanks CWorthy. I had to shut down for a few days but I'm back and I'll be getting your lures out this week. Hope to send pics of the last lure in a day or so. Appreciate your patience...it took a while to figure out how to paint those rascals eeks

Re: Make your own stencils for painting hardbaits - 03/04/15 12:50 PM

Like fine wine, the best takes a while. No problem bud. Too cold to fish anyway.

Re: Make your own stencils for painting hardbaits - 03/04/15 10:51 PM

OK here's the end product for CWorthy's repaint jobs. Bone, FireTiger & Sexy Shad

Just have to put the clear coat on and they're done. So its up to you now CWorthy....Will this get it done?

Re: Make your own stencils for painting hardbaits - 03/04/15 11:51 PM

Holy Cr$p B-Man banana I would say that is better than I expected but that would be a lie. That really is exactly what I expected from you. Fantastic my friend. Now if any of the folks on here have ever seen one of these in action and then can imagine that action with those finishes, well the story tells itself. Well done. Very Pleased.
CW
Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad

Re: Make your own stencils for painting hardbaits - 03/05/15 12:22 AM

Very nice paint jobs bud

Re: Make your own stencils for painting hardbaits - 03/05/15 12:40 AM

flehan damn bois...you are the master. i think i'm just gonna stare at the post and dream of the day when i can get even a little close to that kind of workmanship. maybe i can absorb some of that skill by osmosis. i'm channeling your talent as we speak. ommmmmmm. ommmmmmm. ommmmmmm
Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad

Re: Make your own stencils for painting hardbaits - 03/05/15 01:36 AM

bow_down

Re: Make your own stencils for painting hardbaits - 03/05/15 06:50 PM

CWorthy: Thanks for the quick reply. I'll clear coat them today and they'll go out this weekend. And thanks for the opportunity to put a pattern on those baits it was a good learning experience. Brad and Basscat, I really like seeing your work posted here. It gives me lots of ideas and makes the entire process of learning to airbrush lures a real pleasure. I appreciate both of you for offering your knowledge/experience to the ongoing conversations. Looking forward to seeing more of your work and reading the information you share with folks who want begin, or already are painting/building their own lures. Keep up the good work. rockon thumb

Re: Make your own stencils for painting hardbaits - 03/09/15 10:34 PM

OK boisarc.... I thought I would post what the final product looked like. Final clearcoat and hooks. These are great, fine work, thanks again.
CW

Re: Make your own stencils for painting hardbaits - 03/09/15 11:10 PM

man those aren't baits...those are works of art!!!
Posted By: psalty

Re: Make your own stencils for painting hardbaits - 03/10/15 12:06 AM

man those aren't baits...those are works of art!!!

Dittoes on the art.
That's the stuff you show off on a wall near a trophy mount.
Truly awesome and waiting for more examples. thumb clap popcorn

Re: Make your own stencils for painting hardbaits - 03/10/15 02:10 PM

Originally Posted By: C Worthy
OK boisarc.... I thought I would post what the final product looked like. Final clearcoat and hooks.

CW: those feathered trebles really make them look good. You have a great eye for details cyclop
Hope you catch the "pez gordo" on one of them.
Posted By: Samuel Ragle

Re: Make your own stencils for painting hardbaits - 03/13/15 05:31 AM

Wow, great detail! And just what kind of baits are those? I've never seen them before

Re: Make your own stencils for painting hardbaits - 03/13/15 12:31 PM

They're Strikepro Hunchbacks. Very nice action...two sizes...some unusual factory colors / patterns.

Re: Make your own stencils for painting hardbaits - 12/08/15 02:20 PM

bump

Re: Make your own stencils for painting hardbaits - 12/10/15 01:19 AM

bump
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum