Texas Fishing Forum

Fish identification: Striper, hybrid, or white bass?

Posted By: plk1122

Fish identification: Striper, hybrid, or white bass? - 10/20/17 04:10 AM

What bass is this?

Posted By: Cigga

Re: Help identifiyg bass - 10/20/17 07:04 AM

Sand bass. Aka white bass.
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: Help identifiyg bass - 10/20/17 10:06 AM

My first impression is sandbass as well. But a closer photo sure would be nice to be 100% sure.

What lake were you fishing?

Re: Help identifiyg bass - 10/20/17 10:51 AM

I was fishing Somerville, yea the photo isn't the best. Why would it not be a striped bass?

Re: Help identifiyg bass - 10/20/17 11:51 AM

Well, so far as I can tell, there's been no stripers stocked in Somerville, but it does get hybrids pretty regularly. Not sure if you're asking about stripers or hybrids.

Striped bass are far more elongated, with much more prominent stripes.

Hybrids are deep-bodied like sandbass, and generally have multiple darker (sometimes 'broken') stripes.

Sandbass tend to have one dark stripe and the others are lighter. But their eyes are larger in proportion to their body size than a hybrid usually is.

The key test is to check the center tooth patch. If it's triangular, it's a sandbass. If it's elongated and split, it's a hybrid.
Posted By: slim1

Re: Help identifiyg bass - 10/20/17 11:51 AM

https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outdoor-annual/fishing/freshwater-fishing/bass-identification
Posted By: J-Moe

Re: Help identifiyg bass - 10/20/17 11:58 AM

I have been catching several of the new crop of hybrids released into Somerville this year. That looks about the size so it could be a hybrid as well.
Posted By: gborg

Re: Help identifiyg bass - 10/20/17 03:55 PM

If in doubt and the fish is not 18 inches, toss back and repeat. Intel curve can be very costly not only in $ and cents but in our future game management !

Re: Help identifiyg bass - 10/20/17 04:09 PM

I tossed him back but really didn't think it was a white but now I'm not so sure
Posted By: RespectTheFish

Re: Help identifiyg bass - 10/20/17 05:44 PM

Sometimes it can be hard to tell when they are the size of a white bass. One of the best ways to properly identify the fish is by looking at its tongue. There is an off white/pale area that is call a "tongue patch". On white bass there will only be one small patch. On a hybrid or striper there will be two tongue patches that look almost like a deer foot print. I remember which is which by thinking white bass are small and only have one tongue patch, hybrids and stripers are bigger and have two tongue patches.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outdoor-annual/fishing/freshwater-fishing/bass-identification
Posted By: Paul Rogers

Re: Help identifiyg bass - 10/20/17 07:54 PM

Definitely white bass or sandbass
Posted By: SteveStrasemeier

Re: Help identifiyg bass - 10/20/17 08:26 PM

If it calmed down when you held it then it is a sandbass if it keeps fighting its a hybrid.

Best way is tongue patch!

Re: Help identifiyg bass - 10/21/17 09:03 AM

Hybrids is also known as wipers up north.

Re: Help identifiyg bass - 10/21/17 01:38 PM

Cigga, that's an awesome chart. Guys, I'm going to sticky this topic, as it's something that comes up on a regular basis and every new angler could use our help on fish identification.
Posted By: SeaPro-Todd

Re: Help identifiyg bass - 10/21/17 01:45 PM

It's a sandabass!
Posted By: Capt. Michael Littlejohn

Re: Help identifiyg bass - 10/21/17 04:32 PM

Whitey...white, sandie...or samdbass. thumb
Posted By: GoFishNow

Re: Help identifiyg bass - 10/22/17 03:42 AM

Sidewaysbass
Posted By: Ledeez

Re: Help identifiyg bass - 10/22/17 10:22 PM

Sandy...
Posted By: john putz

Re: Help identifiyg bass - 10/22/17 10:42 PM

how was the lake level?
Posted By: Fisherman13

Re: Help identifiyg bass - 10/23/17 12:22 AM

Its hard to tell but it does appear to be a white bass. But if it has really dark lines and a yellowish color it could also be a good sized yellow bass. A pic of a yellow bass should be added to the ID chart as well with the other 3 fish.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Help identifiyg bass - 10/23/17 04:09 AM

Awesome thread! thumb
Posted By: BridgeportGuide

Re: Help identifiyg bass - 10/23/17 11:42 AM

Sand Bass. Young Hybrids are very bright Colored fish. Some will have a blue tint to their backs. Fish pictured is very dull...."Sand" colored.

Re: Help identifiyg bass - 10/25/17 02:12 AM

Re: Help identifiyg bass - 10/25/17 02:28 AM

Originally Posted By: plk1122

Sandbass

Re: Help identifiyg bass - 10/26/17 02:45 AM

Does anyone have real tooth patch photos of a white vs hybrid?
Posted By: H2O Seeker

Re: Help identifiyg bass - 11/02/17 06:40 PM

Never heard of Hybrids called 'Wipers' before. Interesting
Posted By: Catfanman

Re: Fish identification: Striper, hybrid, or white bass? - 11/08/17 01:57 PM

Definitely a white bass

Re: Help identifiyg bass - 11/09/17 08:25 AM

Originally Posted By: H2O Seeker

They get "Wi" from white bass and the "pers" from stripers. Put it together and you get "Wipers".
Posted By: jbobo

Re: Help identifiyg bass - 11/09/17 12:15 PM

A lot of folks in other states call them wipers. Threw me for a minute when I heard it the first time too. hmmm
Posted By: TCK73

Re: Help identifiyg bass - 11/09/17 01:25 PM

Originally Posted By: H2O Seeker

I work with a guy born and raised in Kansas. He asked me what we meant when we said “Hybrids”. When I told him he immediately called it a Wiper.
Posted By: gborg

Re: Help identifiyg bass - 11/09/17 02:06 PM

I was raised in Kansas, they have a number of things twisted and turned ! What else would one expect from a populous that clicks their heels together , hoping for a miracle !
Posted By: Denton Pond Jumper

Re: Help identifiyg bass - 11/09/17 11:39 PM

There called Wipers in Colorado when I moved down here took me a bit to get used to Hybrid in fact I thought I was not find Hybrids when all along I was!

Re: Help identifiyg bass - 11/10/17 05:07 AM

I'm still a little confused. What are these 2 above? Also is the tooth patch always accurate?
Posted By: jbobo

Re: Help identifiyg bass - 11/10/17 05:50 AM

The tongue patch is 99% accurate. I’ve heard some guys are having trouble if the double patches on a hybrid are close together. Those Look like nice sand bass to me. I’d need to see the patches

Re: Help identifiyg bass - 11/10/17 02:24 PM

Originally Posted By: plk1122

I'm still a little confused. What are these 2 above? Also is the tooth patch always accurate?

The one laying on the deck is absolutely a hybrid. The you're holding looks like a sandbass, but hard to say for sure at that camera angle.

The green fish laying on it's side is dinner.

Re: Help identifiyg bass - 11/10/17 06:29 PM

I will say, I've been looking at the tooth patch but i'm still worried. One fish had one patch that was oval-heart shaped (if that makes since), but the stripes looked more solid and had 3 or 4 going all the way to the tail, instead of just 1, so i let him go. I did keep him on the boat hoping to ask someone at the boat ramp to help me but no one was around (risky but i'm trying to learn).

Re: Help identifiyg bass - 11/14/17 01:50 AM

is this a white patch??
Posted By: mwacosta

Re: Help identifiyg bass - 11/14/17 04:02 PM

Look at the TPWD rule book. A hybrid has two distinct tooth patches. A sandbass has a oval glob I will call one tooth patch. Is it possible to have a hybrid with one patch?? Might be possible, not sure.

If it is short and it looks like you have three lines to the tail, toss it back. conservative move!

Good luck,
Posted By: TXfisherman12

Re: Help identifiyg bass - 11/14/17 07:10 PM

In Iowa, they call them wipers instead of hybrids.

Re: Help identifiyg bass - 11/17/17 09:21 PM

I downloaded your photo and enlarged it as much as I could. Unfortunately, there's not enough resolution on the photo to tell if the tooth patch is split. But I've circled the patch you should be looking at. On medium to keeper sized hybrids, you'll see a very distinct split or separate patches.

Re: Help identifiyg bass - 11/19/17 10:22 PM

This is a hybrid with 2 elongated tooth patch. Hope you guys can see it.
Posted By: TCK73

Re: Fish identification: Striper, hybrid, or white bass? - 11/21/17 05:39 PM

One more tongue patch for good measure, I just happened to think about this when I reeled it in. 7.85 LB fish.

Re: Fish identification: Striper, hybrid, or white bass? - 11/21/17 11:57 PM

Great pics guys, thank you.
Posted By: TXMulti-Species

Re: Fish identification: Striper, hybrid, or white bass? - 11/29/17 05:12 AM

What type of fish is this? White, Hybrid, or Striper? Caught at Lake Grapevine, 1.71lb. It was dark so I couldn't get too great of a picture.

Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: Fish identification: Striper, hybrid, or white bass? - 11/29/17 06:17 AM

Sandie
Posted By: TXMulti-Species

Re: Fish identification: Striper, hybrid, or white bass? - 11/29/17 03:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Fishbonz
Sandie

Thanks! That's a white bass, right? That's what I was leaning towards, but it was dark and I've never caught them before so I figured I'd ask and make sure.
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Fish identification: Striper, hybrid, or white bass? - 11/30/17 02:42 PM

I was taught that if the lines on the side are solid, its a sandie, broken lines are hybrids. Either way, here on Fork, they go in the livewell for fertilizer.
Posted By: erittmueller

Re: Fish identification: Striper, hybrid, or white bass? - 12/04/17 10:21 PM

Not at all accurate unfortunately, sand bass have broken lines (including the lateral line sometimes). Catch Lake Lewisville sand bass and you'll have broken lines on every single fish. Wish we could tell from the lines though! It'd be super easy.

Eric
Posted By: Catfanman

Re: Fish identification: Striper, hybrid, or white bass? - 12/05/17 02:06 AM

Definitely a sand bass because too stocky to be a striper and no broken stripes like a hybrid would have
Posted By: Capt. Michael Littlejohn

Re: Fish identification: Striper, hybrid, or white bass? - 01/05/18 03:49 AM

Sandie
Posted By: CHAMPION FISH

Re: Fish identification: Striper, hybrid, or white bass? - 01/31/18 01:13 PM

Definitely a sandbass and a very good one too.
Posted By: CenTexan

Re: Fish identification: Striper, hybrid, or white bass? - 02/19/18 03:09 AM

Fish Lake Limestone for Sandbass and you will quickly learn to throw the old, one solid line, broken lines, 2 lines, etc etc rule right out the window. When Lake Limestone was so low for a few years that all the ramps were out of the water, the Whites got really big and had a couple extra years of age on them. Many of us would swear we were catching close to 3 lb. small Hybrid when the lake filled back up. But there are none in the lake. Older Whites will start looking more like small Hybrid. The tooth patch is the best way to check. And if that's unclear, throw em back.
Posted By: Brad R

Re: Help identifiyg bass - 02/22/18 08:05 PM

I posted about a crazy and productive long weekend of white bass fishing on another post, about 40 or 45 very large white bass averaging around 16", gravid females always looked close to popping. I caught a crappie and 4 or so LMBs, too.

So, I sent a few photos to Dr. Richard OTT, Lake Athens' TPWD representative to let him know they were sure healthy this year. Dr. Ott responded by mentioning that since Lake Athens isn't on a big river system, not even many creeks of any size, that there are few spawning opportunities of those sorts to run up in, say like the Neches north of Lake Palestine. He went on to say that when "interspecific" competition is very low, that is, for this species, there aren't hundreds of thousands of them like on some other lakes, that while the density is much lower, he noted the quality (size) is often greater.

Dr. Ott confirmed that in the absence of rivers to run up, white bass will look for wind swept shallow water with desirable bottom features. This is what I have . . . about 50 feet directly in front of my boathouse!

I just went down over lunch, bored, made just a few casts. Very light drizzle, no wind or wind blown waves we get up here in the cove, not the best time of day either . . . but I caught 2 small LMBs and one female white bass right in my average length zone from this past weekend, approximately 16".

The moral of the story is on healthy lakes without big rivers and creeks creating running water and currents, etc., there likely won't be as many white bass but the ones that you catch might be much largerif the lake is healthy with good food sources.

Quality over quantity! The ones I caught a few days ago look like they could literally feed on the white bass in Chandler up on the Neches River.

Brad

Posted By: blooper961

Re: Help identifiyg bass - 02/22/18 09:13 PM

My favorite honey the sand bass
Posted By: ML56

Re: Help identifiyg bass - 04/30/18 08:50 PM

Full credit to Bruce N for best pics I've ever seen to illustrate what to look for. First is white bass, second is hybrid
Posted By: Duma

Re: Fish identification: Striper, hybrid, or white bass? - 05/03/18 12:52 PM

Here's a better pics. This one is a white bass with a single tooth patch. Red arrow pointing to tooth patch. Tooth patch almost shapes like a heart.

Re: Fish identification: Striper, hybrid, or white bass? - 05/03/18 12:55 PM

Here's a hybrid with two tooth patch. Big or small hybrids will have two tooth patch. Patches looks like deer hoof in the sand. The younger hybrids double tooth patch may look slightly translucent but the patches are there.

Re: Fish identification: Striper, hybrid, or white bass? - 05/03/18 12:58 PM

Here's both fish side by side.
Posted By: scubaarchery

Re: Fish identification: Striper, hybrid, or white bass? - 05/05/18 09:57 AM

These are awesome pictures thank you so much! Send them to TXFWD! These are way better than their posters!
Posted By: Coffeebreak

Re: Fish identification: Striper, hybrid, or white bass? - 05/06/18 01:21 PM

Identity this one
Posted By: Notaguide

Re: Fish identification: Striper, hybrid, or white bass? - 05/08/18 09:40 PM

Both of these are hybrids. This is why checking the tooth patches are so important.

Posted By: jnogreen

Re: Help identifiyg bass - 05/13/18 10:19 AM

Re: Fish identification: Striper, hybrid, or white bass? - 05/18/18 04:54 PM

I am not an expert (i started this post). For the picture a few post ago, I am not certain. The lines aren't pure solid touching the tail, which leads me to think white. But i would look at the tooth patch plus other factors to decide. Tooth patch has helped me out a lot.

Re: Help identifiyg bass - 05/18/18 05:04 PM

Wish the photo were better resolution. My first impression is small hybrid.

Originally Posted By: jnogreen

Posted By: Ledeez

Re: Fish identification: Striper, hybrid, or white bass? - 06/01/18 04:19 AM

100% sandies
Posted By: Ken Huynh

Re: Fish identification: Striper, hybrid, or white bass? - 06/01/18 02:40 PM

Hybrid

Don’t know why but I find Somerville bass are hard to tell sometime because there are some monster white there. Some I have to checking over and over to make sure it’s a white. If any doubt I ask whoever catched it to threw it back. This always cause a arguement but few second later they would forget because busy fighting another bass.

It’s never worth it if there any doubt.
Posted By: Tanner101

Re: Fish identification: Striper, hybrid, or white bass? - 07/20/18 09:41 PM

Posted By: rob4

Re: Help identifiyg bass - 08/31/18 01:34 AM

Yellow Bass?
Posted By: CaptnC

Re: Help identifiyg bass - 10/08/18 03:41 PM

We regularly catch White Bass Hybrid at lake Somerville that stumps everyone. So I thought I would present it you guys to see what your thoughts are.

On legal size WB and equal size Hybrids IMO they are very easy to tell apart before I even look inside at the tongue.

But we have a fish that grows to 16", that has all the traits of a WB except the bone structure is huge and the fillets looks like 2 strips of bacon. A standard issue 14" WB will have twice the weight in the clean fillet in comparision. The other exception is they have very dark color. They are really green on their backs. I called a LMB on one Saturday because it was so green.

Anyway here is a picture of one...lower left in the photo. The WB beside it is roughly 12".

Re: Help identifiyg bass - 10/09/18 08:58 PM

The one on the bottom left just looks like a chunky sandbass, and the one on the top right looks like it could be a hybrid.

Re: Help identifiyg bass - 10/10/18 09:56 PM

That's just it...it's all bones. The fish to the right will yield double the meat of the one on the left.

Re: Help identifiyg bass - 10/10/18 10:15 PM

Our WB on Soverville have a lot of stripes but the tongue checks out. I check them all.

Also notice the pectoral fin and the gill cover are much darker (green)...it's hard to see in the picture but the back has a lot of green on it.

Re: Fish identification: Striper, hybrid, or white bass? - 10/15/18 03:22 AM

Hey guys ID these two tongues;

Posted By: Coffeebreak

Re: Fish identification: Striper, hybrid, or white bass? - 03/14/19 07:34 PM

Thank you for sharing the pictures. Both fishes are hybrids or strippers
Posted By: Bigbob_FTW

Re: Fish identification: Striper, hybrid, or white bass? - 03/18/19 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by plk1122
I am not an expert (i started this post). For the picture a few post ago, I am not certain. The lines aren't pure solid touching the tail, which leads me to think white. But i would look at the tooth patch plus other factors to decide. Tooth patch has helped me out a lot.

I've had the game warden argue that tooth patches mean nothing. After whipping out the book and showing him that's what the state says, he left me alone. I can't do a dna test on the water.
Posted By: KeyWest1720

Re: Help identifiyg bass - 05/03/19 03:07 AM

Agreed
Posted By: Flyfisherman

Re: Help identifiyg bass - 05/04/19 03:55 AM

catfish
Posted By: RespectTheFish

Re: Help identifiyg bass - 07/29/19 02:59 AM

Heres a short video I made to quickly show the differences in white bass, hybrids, and stripers. I hope it helps others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnoEeZp7k-s
Posted By: Fisherman's Cove Lodge

Re: Help identifiyg bass - 03/16/20 01:55 AM

Is this Lake Louisville?

Re: Help identifiyg bass - 03/25/20 11:24 PM

Generally they are most active in periods of low light, such as dawn and dusk, and in late winter they tend to concentrate in deeper areas of the lake near in flowing streams. In the spring they may undergo spawning migrations to upstream lake areas. After growing sand bass beyond 50 mm their diets consist of mostly small fish and large zooplankton. We specialize in catfish and Crappie, Sand Bass

Fisherman's Cove Lodge
http://fishermanscovelodge.com/
1860 state highway 309, Kerens, TX
(903) 641-5905

Re: Help identifiyg bass - 03/26/20 12:19 AM

Has to be a sand bass...

Fisherman's Cove Lodge
http://fishermanscovelodge.com/
1860 state highway 309, Kerens, TX
(903) 641-5905
Posted By: CHAMPION FISH

Re: Help identifiyg bass - 04/11/20 06:56 PM

Great video RTF. Thanks
Posted By: learnin to fish

Re: Help identifiyg bass - 05/11/20 01:57 AM

I think the white bass are breeding with hybrids in Lake Waco. Single tooth patch, only one line that goes all the way to the back but it has broken lines. What will a game warden say this is?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: K3913

Re: Help identifiyg bass - 05/11/20 02:47 AM

[quote=SteveStrasemeier]If it calmed down when you held it then it is a sandbass if it keeps fighting its a hybrid.

Yep!
Posted By: McKinneyLonghorn

Re: Help identifiyg bass - 05/31/20 03:56 PM

Caught this one yesterday below Denison Dam. At the time I was pretty sure it was a white bass (only felt one tongue patch) but then when I looked at the picture today compared to other white bass I have caught I noticed the lines were much more apparent and more than one goes to the tail, which makes me think it may be a hybrid. I have caught a ton of white bass and stripers before but not sure I have ever caught a hybrid. Any help?
[Linked Image]
Posted By: FishinAg02

Re: Help identifiyg bass - 06/18/20 08:48 PM

White. No doubt in my mind
Posted By: McKinneyLonghorn

Re: Help identifiyg bass - 06/21/20 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by FishinAg02
White. No doubt in my mind

That’s what I was figuring. Thanks.

Re: Help identifiyg bass - 07/18/20 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by learnin to fish
I think the white bass are breeding with hybrids in Lake Waco. Single tooth patch, only one line that goes all the way to the back but it has broken lines. What will a game warden say this is?

[Linked Image]

If you throw everything back in Lake Somerville that's looks like this fish...you will go home empty handed...very, very few whites in that lake that stripes are not broken. I've ask but didn't get a good answer when I caught the water body record Striper below LS d019. She said they would have to do DNA testing to see if the whites were crossing.

But they have to be,
Posted By: Lovfldx

Re: Help identifiyg bass - 07/18/20 10:18 PM

Doesn't look like any stripper I've ever seen. Now striper, well, that's different. Never mind! The bottom one is a hybrid, top one not sure

Re: Help identifiyg bass - 07/18/20 10:20 PM

broken lines on a white are as common as sunrise/sunset. Distinguishing marks for hybrid are more than one line all the way to tail, and toothpatch that looks like a Roman Numeral. Two teeth rows, not one.

Re: Help identifiyg bass - 07/18/20 10:24 PM

that's a white
Posted By: jimfle

Re: Help identifiyg bass - 01/16/21 12:58 AM

sandbass
Posted By: Fishbreath

Re: Help identifiyg bass - 04/24/21 03:03 AM

It's a funfish, caught while fishing and having fun.
Posted By: Dfitz

Re: Help identifiyg bass - 08/20/21 12:30 AM

What is this one? From Sulphur River.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Dennis Christian

Re: Help identifiyg bass - 08/28/21 11:13 AM

White bass.
Posted By: Dfitz

Re: Help identifiyg bass - 09/13/21 10:49 PM

Thanks for the confirmation. And agree.
Posted By: romeroxl1200

Re: Help identifiyg bass - 01/05/22 07:02 PM

Almost looks like a yellow bass....dorsal fins joined?.... no tooth patch either on yellow bass..silvery yellow is a sign also....
white bass usually have a single line to tail........
Posted By: romeroxl1200

Re: Help identifiyg bass - 01/05/22 07:14 PM

I always take the easy way out during a discussion if the we ask what a game warden would think......picture and toss it back. With the invention of grocery stores, no one lives the lake and goes hungry.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Help identifiyg bass - 02/14/23 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Dfitz
Thanks for the confirmation. And agree.

Good call! thumb
Posted By: GPenn

Re: Help identifiyg bass - 03/04/23 01:26 AM

Here’s a Somerville hybrid for you [Linked Image]

Re: Help identifiyg bass - 04/29/23 04:25 PM

Here's an Elm Fork hybrid from Irving, TX. Frasier Dam Recreation Area

[Linked Image]

Re: Help identifiyg bass - 04/29/23 04:28 PM

[Linked Image]

And here a couple of Elm Fork Whites, Frasier Dam Recreation Area, Dallas side

Re: Help identifiyg bass - 04/29/23 04:29 PM

see the difference?
Posted By: prosise

Re: Help identifiyg bass - 11/13/23 12:22 AM

Need other set of eyes. This was caught on Grapevine and it looks like a hybrid to me. Wasn't me, but a friend took this. Mr R knows hybrid/Sandies/stripers and pinged me for my opinion.

[Linked Image]
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum