Texas Fishing Forum

Trying Texoma

Posted By: Tom Baty

Trying Texoma - 10/13/17 04:36 PM

I was thinking about battling the wind on Saturday and launching my kayak out of Highport and paddling out to the islands. I've never made the trip out there, I usually stick close to the dam. What do yall think? Stick it out at the dam or hit Highport?
Posted By: SeaPro-Todd

Re: Trying Texoma - 10/13/17 09:49 PM

Birds were working at the islands the last two Fridays. But boat traffic is heavy especially on weekends. So I don't recommend it for safety reasons and the schools moved fast. Tons of sandies with few mixed box stripers. Lures work fyi.
Posted By: Tom Baty

Re: Trying Texoma - 10/14/17 01:02 AM

Good to know, thank you Todd
Posted By: scruboak

Re: Trying Texoma - 10/14/17 02:46 AM

That lake can go from good to bad in a matter of 10 minutes.If you go, do it with life jacket on and watch out for those giant boats cause most will not be looking for you.
Posted By: jbobo

Re: Trying Texoma - 10/14/17 11:58 PM

When I see a yacht passing 1/4 mile away when I'm spot locked , I get ready 20 minutes later for the 3 to 5 big rolls that will hit.
Today wasn't bad for a while but the wind picked up mid morning some. Kinda choppy but we managed a limit of stripers, a big sandbass, and a crappie.
Crappie was caught on a coho. Rest of them shad.
Posted By: low bass

Re: Trying Texoma - 10/21/17 06:57 PM

Headed out in the morning! Any new reports??????
Posted By: jbobo

Re: Trying Texoma - 10/22/17 02:04 AM

Last two weekends we threw cohos and slabs early. Dropped shad to them around 9:00am. Pretty consistent bite most of the morning.
Sat 10-22
Used shad catching unders mostly from daylight till we ran out of shad. Couldn’t buy a bite on slabs jigs or cohos from mid morning to noon. Others in different parts of the lake may have had better luck with artificials.
Posted By: low bass

Re: Trying Texoma - 10/22/17 10:36 AM

Originally Posted By: jbobo
Last two weekends we threw cohos and slabs early. Dropped shad to them around 9:00am. Pretty consistent bite most of the morning.
Sat 10-22
Used shad catching unders mostly from daylight till we ran out of shad. Couldn’t buy a bite on slabs jigs or cohos from mid morning to noon. Others in different parts of the lake may have had better luck with artificials.

Thanks for the report! Headed that way now!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum