Texas Fishing Forum

First time for stripers, Texoma

Posted By: Venema

First time for stripers, Texoma - 10/06/17 05:53 PM

I had my center console pathfinder in rockport. Luckily I went and got it the day before Harvey hit. I have it up here in Dallas now and am thinking about taking it out for stripers next weekend on Texoma. I have been reading that live Shad is the best, but they are hard to come by. I am used to writhed trolling or jogging off the bottom in the gulf. Can anyone help me out with where to find/get live shad, and what y’all are having success on artificially? I would really appreciate it. And thank you in advance!
Posted By: BrandoA

Re: First time for stripers, Texoma - 10/06/17 06:05 PM

We never had any trouble catching shad around Cedar Mills marina and the coves around. That was always during the summer though.
Posted By: jbobo

Re: First time for stripers, Texoma - 10/07/17 02:01 AM

Most marinas have shad around lighted docks and slips. Fellow told me today he has seen some shad busting top close to shore in 3 to 6 ft of water lately. Word is they are sorta hard to catch with the full moon. I'm gonna try tomorrow am early. 3" paddle tail swimbaits and slabs are working well now also.
Posted By: jbobo

Re: First time for stripers, Texoma - 10/07/17 08:52 PM

We started about 6:00. I was able to catch shad around the lighted fuel dock this morning. It took about 30 minutes of throwing a 7 ft. net but caught enough for the morning. We had fish busting top around the islands so we threw paddle tail cohos first and caught our overs up to 28" then switched to bait and caught our unders and some kitty's. Several crappie were around the fuel dock so watch out when you put the shad in your tank in the dark.

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum