Texas Fishing Forum

White Bass Vs Catfish on 2d sonar

Posted By: RespectTheFish

White Bass Vs Catfish on 2d sonar - 09/13/17 08:48 PM

Hello fellow anglers!

I recently was having a difficult time catching white bass and come to find out I have been downrigging for catfish more than for white bass lol. I made a short youtube video/slideshow of four 2D sonar screen shots with text boxes that I hope will help keep others from wasting as much time as I did learning to understand their sonar units.

Click on the link below if interested in checking it out or needing help understanding some basic differences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCbRTdrsn4k&feature=youtu.be
Posted By: Holzer

Re: White Bass Vs Catfish on 2d sonar - 09/14/17 09:06 PM

If you spend some time adjusting your settings, you can get the catfish to be mostly that red'ish color with a yellow dot showing which end of the arch is the head. Or a red'ish arch fading to yellow'ish on one end.

The skull of a catfish will have a harder reflection compared to the skin. This results in a brighter color shown on your Lowrance.

I too have caught many catfish when fishing for striped fish until I got better at recognizing catfish on my equipment wink
Posted By: CenTexan

Re: White Bass Vs Catfish on 2d sonar - 09/15/17 02:34 PM

2d is harder that Side Scan. Scaled fish will normally show a brighter and harder return due to the signal bouncing off of the scales. Larger Catfish will show the hard red return on the head, bone, on 2d. Im speaking of Humminbird Sonar. Lowrance is different color.

Re: White Bass Vs Catfish on 2d sonar - 09/17/17 09:15 PM

Thanks for the advice! I had my sensitivity a little too hot on some of those pictures and a few minutes of adjustment could have brought out a little more detail in color.

I would love to make another video over hybrids vs catfish vs whites on 2D sonar (eventually I want to make more efforts towards DI/SI in the future but rather keep it simply for now and kinda have a 2D series). So far I've noticed the hybrids seem to look similar to whites in that they have a narrow and rounded arc with a hard return all under the arc that drops off longer on one side. Catfish are long/straighter but with a slight bend down on end opposite of the hardest return. Have yall noticed this as a fair description between the two? I'm going to work on getting good quality screen shots of some in the coming weeks as examples for future material.

Sadly it seems that there are a lot of gaps in practical information on understanding sonars on the web right now and I'm trying to put out some material that I wish was there when I started getting serious about sonars and chasing whites/hybrids. I'm planning on doing an information dense video/photo slide show over downrigging and locating and setting up on fish you see on sonar. If yall have any ideas for future videos or materials I would love to hear them. I'm just trying to be the resource I wish were around when I first started chasing whites and hybrids.

Thanks!

Posted By: Patrnflyr

Re: White Bass Vs Catfish on 2d sonar - 09/18/17 12:10 AM

As I've mentioned before, I've had a twenty year hiatus from bass fishing. We were out on Granbury today and positive we found a huge school of stripers at 25 ft on a 27 ft bottom. My son tied on a slab spoon and I did a roadrunner. We started jigging right in the thick of them and nothing. We could even watch our lures going up and down on the Hummingbird. After about ten minutes, he hooked a fish and pulled up a 10" channel cat. We packed it up and went home...

Re: White Bass Vs Catfish on 2d sonar - 09/18/17 01:23 AM

bummer
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum