Texas Fishing Forum

How to catch white bass in August/September without trolling

Posted By: Dennis Christian

How to catch white bass in August/September without trolling - 08/03/17 10:13 PM

Well, it is that time of year again (August and September) when white bass fishing gets more difficult on north Texas lakes.. Even some guides take a break until fishing picks back up again in October. Many of the guides that do take clients out during this period have to resort to trolling the hell-pet combo to put fish in the boat. A number of people , including me, do not care for trolling – it seems boring.

So, I wanted to offer some evidence that you can still put fish in the boat without having to troll. Let me start with my theory re why fish become hard to catch in August-September. I believe it is a new hatch of threadfin shad that becomes the dominant forage of white bass during this period. Some of the older, bigger shad are still around, and you might stumble upon some fish that are feeding on them. But as you get further and further into August, white bass will be feeding on the new hatch. These new shad are ¾ inch to 2 inches long compared to the previous generation, which are 3 to 4 ½ inches long. The older larger shad swim faster, and you can catch them by working slabs and larger spinners (#4 Mepps) faster.

The smaller, younger shad are slower and easier for the whites to catch. When the trollers go to the hell-pet rigs, they are using small pet spoons and moving them slowly, horizontally along the bottom – with best results after they have located fish on their sonars. Those who know my story, know that I use Mepps spinners pretty much exclusively to catch white bass and whatever runs with them. Most of the year I use #4 Mepps, but when August/September hit I usually have to resort to #2 Mepps. It began for me this year July 23 when I found a really good school of whites on the bottom at Key Ranch Drop-off on Cedar Creek Lake, but I couldn’t get them to touch a #4. I switched to a #2 and started catching a fish every cast. It repeated again the next couple of days.
Another observation is that during these months fishing is better in 11 to 15 fow. Many times I have located fish on deep patterns (20 to 30 fow) but can’t get them to bite throwing everything in my tackle box at them including various sizes of Mepps.

So, I looked up my statistics using the Mepps #2 pattern in 11 to 15 fow over the last 6 years and here they are:
Year.........Aug/Sep Trips........Total caught.............Average Caught/Trip
Total...........65......................3575............................55

Of the 65 trips, 70% of them I fished alone.

If you are interested, here is my rig and how I use it. I use 10 lb fluorocarbon line on a 5 or 6 to 1 ratio smooth reeling casting reel – like a Shimano Curado CU-200 or a Mettle H2O Express on a 5 ft 6 inch or 6 ft medium action rod like a Shakespeare Durango. I tie a #2 silver Mepps plain Aglia spinner to the line and add a mash-on 3/8 oz weight about 15 inches up the line. It’s the old fashioned elongated weight with dog ears on each end. The weight is required to make the rig heavy enough to cast. It also gets the rig to the bottom faster.

After I locate fish in 11 to 15 fow, I mark where they are by tossing over a float near but not on top of the fish taking note as to where the fish are relative to where I tossed over the marker. Then I back off an easy throw’s distance from the fish and anchor the boat with an anchor or iPilot. Then I make a cast beyond where the fish are and let the rig sink to the bottom. Now, unlike the way I fish a Mepps #4, I leave a little slack in the line , get my hand on the reel crank, then jerk start the retrieve and keep it moving by reeling medium to medium slow for 3 to 6 turns of the reel. If no strike, I release the reel and let the rig fall back to the bottom. Then I repeat the jerk start as I reel the Mepps 3 to 6 turns of the reel more. I repeat this all the way back to the boat. To help feel the Mepps blade start turning immediately, put a very slight bend in the Mepps wire where it comes out of the base.

I hope this helps/encourages you to not give up on August/September fishing. Please feel free to ask questions if I didn’t make it clear enough.
Posted By: Buzzard Breath

Re: How to catch white bass in August/September without trolling - 08/03/17 10:47 PM

great info, thanks.
Posted By: scruboak

Re: How to catch white bass in August/September without trolling - 08/03/17 11:36 PM

Interesting stats and read thanks.
Posted By: Ledeez

Re: How to catch white bass in August/September without trolling - 08/04/17 12:17 AM

Good stuff! Thanks for sharing! thumb
Posted By: ToadThrower

Re: How to catch white bass in August/September without trolling - 08/04/17 12:22 AM

Thanks for the tips...I have been stumped lately...so I will give this a try...just as you said... I can see fish stacked up but no bites...now I have something new to try...I really appreciate you sharing your experience.
Posted By: SteveStrasemeier

Re: How to catch white bass in August/September without trolling - 08/04/17 12:38 AM

Agree with you on the trolling, not a fan but if it is hot sure helps cool off a little.
Thanks for the info, next time will target the 11 to 15 fow.
Posted By: SeaPro-Todd

Re: How to catch white bass in August/September without trolling - 08/04/17 01:56 AM

Denise tells it 100% like it is cuz I had thegood fortune to fish with him smile Good stuff and lots of good info from many hours on the water. Thanks, DC! Hope you are feeling better smile
Posted By: lenahorse

Re: How to catch white bass in August/September without trolling - 08/04/17 02:08 AM

1st post with new eye! Dennis's tactics work very well, I can's say enough and honored to fish with him a few times and Todd also, I caught 4:1 last Friday with Mepps over slabs, Tuesday before my visit to hospital on a quick trip we caught on Mepps well and had a dead period and went to BIG slabs here at Tawakoni and got some real good sized fish but fished them Dennis's way. Hope to be back on the water next week, HOPING!
Posted By: CenTexan

Re: How to catch white bass in August/September without trolling - 08/04/17 02:31 AM

Good stuff as always Mr. Christian.
Posted By: beltonbill

Re: How to catch white bass in August/September without trolling - 08/04/17 09:50 AM

You are an inspiration to us all.
Posted By: etu

Re: How to catch white bass in August/September without trolling - 08/04/17 11:52 AM

Originally Posted By: SeaPro-Todd
Denise tells it 100% like it is cuz I had thegood fortune to fish with him smile Good stuff and lots of good info from many hours on the water. Thanks, DC! Hope you are feeling better smile

Who's Denise roflmao
Posted By: Joe Slab

Re: How to catch white bass in August/September without trolling - 08/04/17 12:19 PM

Great post Dennis. Thanks for sharing your knowledge. I have trouble locating fish that stay in area long enough to set up on them.
Posted By: dustinmoorman

Re: How to catch white bass in August/September without trolling - 08/04/17 12:42 PM

Awesome tips Dennis!! I am gonna pick up a few Mepps today and give it a try tomorrow!

Thank you for sharing.
Dustin
Posted By: Brad R

Re: How to catch white bass in August/September without trolling - 08/04/17 12:47 PM

Dennis, I saw the link to your Mepps article, went over to take a look and I recall reading it some time ago. Your post here and that reference article are just a great combination, a "how to" primer on white bass fishing.

Last night, I was out in my kayak on Lake Athens. The wind was next to nothing and I could look across the water and see little disturbance patterns on the water and I knew these to be shad where those nearest the surface create those little waves as they move by. So, some came toward me as I floated along silently . . . and when I looked down, I could see what appeared to be hundreds or thousands of just what you described: little shad about 3/4" or so in length. Every few minutes, there'd be a commotion as LMBs would explode on them somewhere in the area I was fishing, some shad jumping out of the water trying to escape. The evening before, they were chasing these small shad so shallow, the LMBs were about a foot off of the boat ramp from the water's edge.

I've really got to master white bass . . . looks like so much fun!

Thanks! Brad
Posted By: mickeytfc

Re: How to catch white bass in August/September without trolling - 08/04/17 02:34 PM

Thank you Dennis for all of your teaching!
Posted By: SeaPro-Todd

Re: How to catch white bass in August/September without trolling - 08/04/17 02:44 PM

Originally Posted By: etu
Originally Posted By: SeaPro-Todd

Who's Denise roflmao
Denise is my mean ole spell checker! That's who. Sorry for calling you a girl, Dennis.
Posted By: Andrew Taylor

Re: How to catch white bass in August/September without trolling - 08/04/17 03:29 PM

that 10lb fluoro sounds like fun smile

Re: How to catch white bass in August/September without trolling - 08/04/17 08:08 PM

Here is an example this morning of what I said above. These fish were on the high spot of Enchanted Isle Ridge at Cedar Creek Lake. I threw a #4 Mepps at them 6 times and got one little bump. Switched to #2 rig and started catching fish 2 out of every 3 casts. Before I quit I ended up with a limit of whites, 2 legal hybrids, a short hybrid and a nice cat. I left with them still biting.

Posted By: Fisherdad58

Re: How to catch white bass in August/September without trolling - 08/05/17 02:29 PM

Dennis, Great info...Might just help me figure out how to catch some. I wonder if they set up shallower because of the thermocline, or just bait location?
Posted By: Fisherdad58

Re: How to catch white bass in August/September without trolling - 08/05/17 02:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Brad R
Last night, I was out in my kayak on Lake Athens. The wind was next to nothing and I could look across the water and see little disturbance patterns on the water and I knew these to be shad where those nearest the surface create those little waves as they move by. So, some came toward me as I floated along silently . . . and when I looked down, I could see what appeared to be hundreds or thousands of just what you described: little shad about 3/4" or so in length. Every few minutes, there'd be a commotion as LMBs would explode on them somewhere in the area I was fishing, some shad jumping out of the water trying to escape. The evening before, they were chasing these small shad so shallow, the LMBs were about a foot off of the boat ramp from the waters edge.

Yeah it looks like Athens had a pretty good shad spawn last week. The fish are already so full of shad it can be hard to get them to bite artificial. This technique might be the ticket for LM and whites out there.
Posted By: Not2Old2Fish

Re: How to catch white bass in August/September without trolling - 08/05/17 09:37 PM

If the threadfin shad fry are 3/4 to 1", what date was the spawn?
What is the growth rate of threadfin shad,

Re: How to catch white bass in August/September without trolling - 08/06/17 09:11 PM

Maybe a wildlife biologist can answer that.
Posted By: Ross Reamy Guide Service

Re: How to catch white bass in August/September without trolling - 08/07/17 11:29 AM

Great info Dennis! The Mepps is whacking them on RC

This year on Richland Chambers the shad spawn was roughly late March - late April and they hatched late June, they're "mature" by the following Spring and rarely live past 3 years of age.
Posted By: dustinmoorman

Re: How to catch white bass in August/September without trolling - 08/07/17 12:36 PM

Picked up a #2 mepps on Friday afternoon - hit Lavon with a new canoe Saturday morning. Ended up working the crappie bushes for a while (probably longer than I should have), caught about a dozen crappie dinks before giving up, then put on my mepps - caught my first keeper sand bass with it right after. Really regret not spending more time with the mepps (as when I switched over to it, was around 10AM and the morning bite started to cool down a bit).

Looking forward to using this around this time of year! Playing around with different retrievals and depths. Thanks for the tips sir!
Posted By: Shadslinger

Re: How to catch white bass in August/September without trolling - 08/07/17 01:16 PM

The same phenomena happens on Lake Livingston to a marked degree. Having read your blog on fishing the bridges there long ago I have suggested this method to many folks and gave em the blog.
They have all caught much more fish during the new shad hatch time of year when than they used to. Some stick with it and some go back to trolling.
I will go back home before I go trolling, but this is their time of year to shine on those white bass suspended at 15' any where there are shad this time of year. I see folks catching them trolling in the middle of nowhere catching white bass, they just know to catch them there from experience over the years. It's August, let's go catch some white bass at so and so spot.
Interestingly the fish do it( suspend at 15' in big schools) even if there is no thermocline, like this year when ever this time of year comes around. Maybe button shad swim at that depth?
I suppose the deeper water may not cross the threshold to an O2 barrier, but still have less saturated O2 than the water above the 15' when it's temp is 90 degrees plus.
So white bass are still hanging on deep water humps, but they are finicky to get to bite.
I think it's a combination of not enough O2 to feed hard and exert energy,( they often race to the top where there is more O2 this time of year when hooked) and they feed on tiny button shad almost exclusively when they are present. It seems all the game fish love a candy shad.
I appreciate the fact you noted that they swim slower than older shad, which explains why teaser flies above the slab do the work well this time of year, They slow the decent well and often because they mimic the tiny shad in size they catch the biggest white bass usually.
thanks for sharing the great fishing tip!
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: How to catch white bass in August/September without trolling - 08/07/17 05:51 PM

I used to always dread summer patterns on CC because I knew I'd have to drag that Hell Pet for miles.

Thanks Dennis, for the great post.
Posted By: LipRip

Re: How to catch white bass in August/September without trolling - 08/09/17 03:00 PM

Nice report sir!

Re: How to catch white bass in August/September without trolling - 08/10/17 12:54 PM

An anecdote on the effect line type and/or size can have using my #2 rig: I was out yesterday and had two rods rigged with #2 rig. After I located fish at Key Ranch Drop-off, I tried both rigs and discovered they would bite one rig and not the other. I kept switching back and forth to make sure the pattern repeated and it did. Upon close examination of my rigs, the one that was catching fish had 10 lb fluorocarbon line - Berkeley Vision yellow tint to be exact. The one that was not getting bit had a slightly larger line diameter, and I'm not sure if it was fluorocarbon or not. It could be Berkeley's Transoptic or 12 lb test line - not sure which or maybe even some older, other line I had put on longer ago.

This isn't the 1st time I have seen this. Once fishing for white bass with #2's with my wife on Lake Livingston, she was out-catching me 2 to 1. When I checked and compared our rigs, her line diameter was noticeably smaller than mine. So, be aware that with this rig with the small shad in shallower water moving the bait slower, line diameter matters.

Another minor tip, you can further reduce the bait profile to better match the hatch by removing the red piece of plastic on the hook shank.
Posted By: CedarCreekWoody

Re: How to catch white bass in August/September without trolling - 08/10/17 01:51 PM

I'm buying stock in Berkley!
Posted By: Bobb

Re: How to catch white bass in August/September without trolling - 08/11/17 11:54 PM

Thanks for the information. Where do you buy your lures?

Re: How to catch white bass in August/September without trolling - 08/12/17 02:02 AM

BAssPro, Cabelas or FishUSA online.
Posted By: fergy1

Re: How to catch white bass in August/September without trolling - 08/13/17 03:45 AM

I kinda like trolling especially this time of year when it's hot. I fish year round and all species. I do like your method for catching sand bass with the mepps, alot of fun with light tackle. But if I need to catch alot of fish in a hurry I will troll. Not just aimless but have a
target and put fish in boat.
Posted By: fergy1

Re: How to catch white bass in August/September without trolling - 08/13/17 03:46 AM

I kinda like trolling especially this time of year when it's hot. I fish year round and all species. I do like your method for catching sand bass with the mepps, alot of fun with light tackle. But if I need to catch alot of fish in a hurry I will troll. Not just aimless but have a
target and put fish in boat.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum