Texas Fishing Forum

Lake Lewisville Damn

Posted By: Corndogsticks

Lake Lewisville Damn - 07/09/17 12:55 AM

I'm still learning Lake Lewisville, has anyone had any luck trolling the damn?
Posted By: Kingfish1760

Re: Lake Lewisville Damn - 07/10/17 05:05 PM

Please keep in mind I'm a Lake Lewisville novice myself, but we absolutely slayed the sand bass on Sunday. We fished all morning for ditch pickles and came up empty. We didn't find anything at the dam and hardly marked a single fish there, but when we packed it in to run back to the ramp at 11 am we drove flat into several huge surface boils. They stayed up for an hour and a half and somehow no one saw us hauling in fish after fish so we had them to ourselves for the entire time. Anyway it seems that all the fish were in the main body of the lake in about 40 ft. of water. When they finally went down we were marking fish everywhere from 15 ft. down to about 30. I have no idea if this is the regular pattern or dumb luck, either way it was a great Sunday on the water so I'll take it.

Good luck!
Posted By: mickeytfc

Re: Lake Lewisville Damn - 07/10/17 08:18 PM

[quote=Kingfish1760]I have no idea if this is the regular pattern or dumb luck,

That's the regular pattern but great luck that a bunch of yahoos didn't roar in and put them down. You don't have to tell but I wonder where you found them because I was out at the same time and there was a dozen boats bunched up in the middle of the lake. They didn't stay on them though and it ended up just being me and two other boats, working them real easy, just staying on the edge of the two acre school, so they stayed up a long while. I left them still hitting at noon.

As for trolling the dam, haven't tried it but lots of scattered fish marking at 30 feet, we've been catching them on slabs hung over the side while we are working surfacing fish. Bigger whites that way and hybrids too.
Posted By: oakpointaggie

Re: Lake Lewisville Damn - 07/10/17 08:44 PM

Kingfish1760/Mickeytfc
How big where the sandbass you where catching. We found a school last Thursday night but they where all small.

Just curious

Re: Lake Lewisville Damn - 07/11/17 01:12 AM

We were initially found them due south of the outer most finger of the three fingers point about halfway to the dam. Once we got on them we followed them around in a very random pattern. I didn't see any other boats around us fishing. There was a blue wakeboard boat anchored up north of us with folks swimming but they were the only folks near us with the exception of the couple sport boats that buzzed us and drove over the school. We saw one guy outfitted for fishing that drove right by us while we were both hooked up but he never came of the throttle or gave us a second look.

We were just fishing C&R so we didn't measure but we were getting a variety size wise. Most were around 10 - 12 inches but we hooked a few that had to go close to 15 or 16 inches, we also had a good number of 6 or 7 inch runts. The big ones all seemed to come from the edge of the school and a bit deeper in the water.
Posted By: mickeytfc

Re: Lake Lewisville Damn - 07/11/17 06:43 PM

We were just fishing C&R so we didn't measure but we were getting a variety size wise. Most were around 10 - 12 inches but we hooked a few that had to go close to 15 or 16 inches, we also had a good number of 6 or 7 inch runts. The big ones all seemed to come from the edge of the school and a bit deeper in the water. [/quote]

I found the same sizes. Plenty of decent fish. I released them all too, so they are still out there.
Posted By: Kenja

Re: Lake Lewisville Damn - 07/12/17 01:37 AM

I was out there Sunday late afternoon and could not find a school. But that's my luck and skill level smile

Re: Lake Lewisville Damn - 07/12/17 03:17 PM

Don't feel bad Kenja, we hit the school at 60 mph and were halfway through them before we realized what we just drove into. I should have bought a lotto ticket on the way home, turns out my luck was good for once! Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then right?
Posted By: DRY Fishing

Re: Lake Lewisville Damn - 07/13/17 12:52 AM

I've been trying for a couple of years to get my 6 and 8-year olds into a surfacing school. Still no luck. We were out on Monday and I even parked us by the damn while they swam just to keep an eye out for the schools that are generally around there during that 11 am time frame. Didn't see anything but a few shad pops and a few gars. Doesn't help me that my fish finder is on the fritz either I guess. Gotta keep trying though. I've been in those schools so many times myself that I can't wait to see their reactions to it. Might try again on Friday.
Posted By: oakpointaggie

Re: Lake Lewisville Damn - 07/13/17 03:23 AM

Binoculars are your friend!
Posted By: scruboak

Re: Lake Lewisville Damn - 07/13/17 08:11 AM

fished that lake for years good luck at the dam.
Posted By: DRY Fishing

Re: Lake Lewisville Damn - 07/15/17 04:46 AM

Tried again today. Didn't even make it to the water until 11 am this time. Drove around and saw two small schools just on the main lake side of the Lake Dallas cut. But they were gone before we could get to them. At least the kids finally saw a surfacing school (albeit a small one) in person. Worst part about it though was the two guys I talked to that said the surface was boiling in the main lake from about 7 am to 9:30 am or so. Guess we just missed them again. bang
Posted By: River Mongrel

Re: Lake Lewisville Damn - 07/15/17 12:41 PM

go to the bubbles
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum