Texas Fishing Forum

Guide fishing

Posted By: FishnDenton

Guide fishing - 06/21/17 02:55 AM

If you need an assistant during the evenings or on the weekends, let me know.

Re: Guide fishing - 06/21/17 02:59 AM

I had this big passionate text about learning to guide but the text didn't work.
Posted By: CHAMPION FISH

Re: Guide fishing - 06/22/17 04:25 PM

It takes the fun out of fishing and turns it into a job.
Posted By: mickeytfc

Re: Guide fishing - 06/22/17 04:32 PM

Well, as the saying goes, choose a job you love and you will never work another day in your life, said by Confucius or somebody really smart.
Posted By: jbobo

Re: Guide fishing - 06/22/17 05:16 PM

I've been guiding part time for a few years. It is fun till the clients want to fish anyway when it is 17 degrees and wind is 20+ out of the north or its 110 with no wind. 4:00 am throwing cast net for shad and it is 90 degrees is fun also. If that is what you want to do for a living to support your family be ready for the good and bad. I've seen a few wind up getting divorced because the wife resented the husband "playing" at his guide job when she thought he should be more responsible and provide better for the family. It can be done though with a lot of understanding and sacrifice. Good luck!
Posted By: G Love

Re: Guide fishing - 06/22/17 09:16 PM

Originally Posted By: jbobo
I've been guiding part time for a few years. It is fun till the clients want to fish anyway when it is 17 degrees and wind is 20+ out of the north or its 110 with no wind. 4:00 am throwing cast net for shad and it is 90 degrees is fun also. If that is what you want to do for a living to support your family be ready for the good and bad. I've seen a few wind up getting divorced because the wife resented the husband "playing" at his guide job when she thought he should be more responsible and provide better for the family. It can be done though with a lot of understanding and sacrifice. Good luck!

I seent it happen
Posted By: Andrew Taylor

Re: Guide fishing - 06/23/17 02:17 PM

All i can say is follow your dreams man. Don't let ANYONE tell you otherwise, you'll hear a lot of negativity about what you want to do, for a fact. I'm not sure how old you are but make sure you have a very supportive partner. Again, you're going to face a lot of doubt, but that's the beauty of it smile i'm young and new to the guide scene myself but have grew up around the best guides in East Texas, I went to college and still had my mind set on one thing and I made it happen thumb

Re: Guide fishing - 06/24/17 01:54 AM

Thank you all for your comments. I have a fulltime career but I would like to learn the business of guiding. I have a passion for fishing that I've never had before. 1 day I would like to retire and be a guide but that's years away. I was just wondering if there was someone out there that needed a little extra help while I learned. Thanks again everyone.
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: Guide fishing - 06/24/17 02:10 PM

Are you looking to guide from a boat?
Posted By: PKfishin

Re: Guide fishing - 06/24/17 04:27 PM

I fished with Randy Wood on Possum Kingdom last year. He was like a one armed paper hanger baiting hooks, netting fish and steering the boat. Not sure how he could have done it before the remote controlled trolling motor. It was a great trip.

Long before we showed up at the dock after sleeping in and eating a big breakfast he was out catching shad and finding fish. The fish had moved from the day before and he was lucky to have located them right where we launched. Think of all the ways this trip could have gone bad:

1. cant find shad
2. cant find the fish
3. boat troubles
4. customers show up drunk
5. Customers show up late or not at all
6. customer's belligerent
7. customer refuses to pay you or wants to pay you short
(guides, feel free to add thing things I have not listed)

Be careful what you ask for... That boat payment and gas money will all come out of your hide long before the customer hands you the cash, which by the way the government will want a nice piece of.

Good luck. The happiest two days in my former business were the days I started it and the day I sold it. ( kind like boat ownership)

Re: Guide fishing - 06/24/17 06:46 PM

From a boat or from the bank, either way. Just looking for an opportunity to learn.

Re: Guide fishing - 06/25/17 01:13 AM

There has been a good amount of replies in this thread, but I want to set something straight, I simply want to learn and pull my weight at the same time. If you're willing to teach me about your trade, I'm willing to work for free. Teach me how to find fish, entertain guest, and eventually make money doing it and I will be your best employee.

Re: Guide fishing - 06/25/17 01:16 AM

I have a fulltime job/ career so my time is limited to evening's and weekends. If that works for you then let me know. If not, I completely understand.
Posted By: mickeytfc

Re: Guide fishing - 06/25/17 11:56 AM

Originally Posted By: FishnDenton
There has been a good amount of replies in this thread, but I want to set something straight, I simply want to learn and pull my weight at the same time. If you're willing to teach me about your trade, I'm willing to work for free. Teach me how to find fish, entertain guest, and eventually make money doing it and I will be your best employee.

That's a great way to learn, whether for your own knowledge or for a professional start. Its simply an internship like so often done in many business settings. Best of luck to you!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum