Texas Fishing Forum

White bass in brush and timber

Posted By: TroyKing

White bass in brush and timber - 06/15/17 11:41 AM

What lures, techniques, presentations would y'all use for white bass in heavy timber and brush?...I found a place on Toledo where they are comming up early morning and late in the evening chasing shad....but the go down quick....during the day they are deep on the river side of a big mid lake hump....I'd like to work the ledge somehow without staying hung up...I can see them on my graph about 15' 27' deep during the day....slabs and spoons stay constantly hung up..I'm open to anything (live/cut or artificial) that you think will get the kids hooked up...thanks.
Posted By: Mudshark

Re: White bass in brush and timber - 06/15/17 12:22 PM

Large white crappie jigs on a line heavy enough to straighten the wire hook out for when you get hung up.
Posted By: gborg

Re: White bass in brush and timber - 06/15/17 12:46 PM

What lures, techniques, presentations would y'all use for white bass in heavy timber and brush?...I found a place where they are comming up early morning and late in the evening chasing shad....but the go down quick....during the day they are deep on the river side of a big mid lake hump....I'd like to work the ledge somehow without staying hung up...I can see them on my graph about 15' 27' deep during the day....slabs and spoons stay constantly hung up..I'm open to anything (live/cut or artificial) that you think will get the kids hooked up...thanks

PM sent
Posted By: mickeytfc

Re: White bass in brush and timber - 06/15/17 01:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Mudshark
Large white crappie jigs on a line heavy enough to straighten the wire hook out for when you get hung up.

If you are using the common slab jig combo, this is great advice. You can also replace the treble hook on the slab with around a #1 or 2 sized single hook, a light wire hook will also straighten out sometimes. This will significantly reduce your hang ups, though not eliminate them completely, and will also not reduce your hookup ratio. Another added benefit is that its easier to unhook without danger to self, the kids, or the fish if you are releasing them.

Using bait will also reduce the hang ups too.
Posted By: Toes-in-tha-water

Re: White bass in brush and timber - 06/15/17 05:12 PM

popcorn
Posted By: Not2Old2Fish

Re: White bass in brush and timber - 06/15/17 05:45 PM

M.T. Pockets Tackle
http://stores.mtpocketstackle.com
See if he has weedless jigging spoons or slabs and also weedless jig heads.
And he will give you insight on how to fish them for your best production.
Posted By: colbath4

Re: White bass in brush and timber - 09/15/17 09:41 PM

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum