Texas Fishing Forum

Lake Whitney question

Posted By: Traveling East

Lake Whitney question - 04/29/17 07:46 PM

Hello All,
Where should a first timer on Lake Whitney start looking for the Whites/Hybrids/Stripers?
I will probably use the ramp by the dam. But I do have the ability to run the whole lake.
Thanks for the help!
Posted By: old fisherman

Re: Lake Whitney question - 04/30/17 03:32 AM

Hard to say with the front coming in... The island is always a good start... the mouth of the State Park and into the cove is good... all depends on the weather and direction of the wind... Watch for the birds... They are the best source on changing patterns..
Posted By: 44 Diesel

Re: Lake Whitney question - 05/01/17 11:59 PM

Check the main river channel slopes. Found them but they weren't nearly as hungry as they have been. Still scratched out a 2 man limit plus more on slabs

Posted By: MilesHunter

Re: Lake Whitney question - 05/02/17 02:49 AM

Those are some awesome screenshots Diesel!
Posted By: voodew

Re: Lake Whitney question - 05/13/17 04:12 PM

We are planning a trip out there on Tuesday. Can anyone let me know which boat ramps are open 24hrs -- never been before so we will be there really early to hunt for bait
Thanks in advance
Posted By: learnin to fish

Re: Lake Whitney question - 05/14/17 05:00 PM

Went out yesterday and did good on whites and stripper on the flats north of the bridge and at loafers bend boat ramp. Went out today and almost got skunked! What did I miss today? Couldn't find them anywhere. Any advice would be helpful.
Posted By: fmclee

Re: Lake Whitney question - 05/14/17 05:21 PM

All the structure I fished yesterday held fish .... Limit on whites and a gazillion 12-14" stripers ...
"STIR" the water a little ...They will come a runnin......

Re: Lake Whitney question - 05/14/17 05:24 PM

Mind giving me a few examples of the structure you fished? Edges of river channels?
Posted By: fmclee

Re: Lake Whitney question - 05/15/17 01:10 AM

Any ledge or rapid drop in the lake bottom .. Deep channels running up to the creeks.
You have electronics? All the ledges at the boat ramps on the east side of the lake were holding fish .... Had a west wind..
26 - 35 feet deep at the bottom of the ledge looked best ...
I caught fish all day .. There are tons of those jr high school stripers(12-14") in the lake right now.
And lots of big fish fish being
caught also .... Chartreuse/White slabs

Re: Lake Whitney question - 05/15/17 01:55 AM

Thanks so much for the help! I'll get back at it next weekend. As my login name states I'm still learning so I appreciate any help I can get.
Posted By: FishWrangler2

Re: Lake Whitney question - 05/15/17 02:50 AM

I still haven't been able to slab one up this year...any advice on size and strategy? I believe I've thrown chartruese and chrome with no bites yet...
Posted By: Juggnblues

Re: Lake Whitney question - 05/15/17 12:58 PM

Great screen shots!

Re: Lake Whitney question - 05/15/17 02:46 PM

Originally Posted By: FishWrangler2
I still haven't been able to slab one up this year...any advice on size and strategy? I believe I've thrown chartruese and chrome with no bites yet...

2 oz slabs seems to work best. They fall fast and easy to cast. We have had best luck by casting them as far as you can. Let the slab go all the way to the bottom. Then crank the slab fast for about 5-7 cranks then let the slab fall back to the bottom by letting it free-line(its a lot easier with a baitcaster). Work it all the way back to the boat. We have caught em using this same method with jigs and sassy shad as well.
Posted By: Andrew Taylor

Re: Lake Whitney question - 05/15/17 03:13 PM

Great screenshot fellas thumb
Posted By: Chris97

Re: Lake Whitney question - 05/15/17 03:16 PM

Can anyone tell me why some days they surface chasing bait and them some days they dont. Went out two saturdays ago and they surfaced by the island for 45 min around 7am. Caught one on every cast. Went out this past saturday and same conditions almost and nada.
Posted By: Chris97

Re: Lake Whitney question - 05/15/17 03:17 PM

Originally Posted By: 44 Diesel
Originally Posted By: FishWrangler2

2 oz slabs seems to work best. They fall fast and easy to cast. We have had best luck by casting them as far as you can. Let the slab go all the way to the bottom. Then crank the slab fast for about 5-7 cranks then let the slab fall back to the bottom by letting it free-line(its a lot easier with a baitcaster). Work it all the way back to the boat. We have caught em using this same method with jigs and sassy shad as well.

where do you find 2 oz slabs

Re: Lake Whitney question - 05/15/17 03:54 PM

http://www.redneckfishn.com/Slabs.htm

There are several others on the forum that make them also.
Posted By: formula462

Re: Lake Whitney question - 05/15/17 04:09 PM

ReAxtion Lures are good bang for the buck
http://reaxtionlures.com/axs_A1.html
Posted By: tx2va07

Re: Lake Whitney question - 05/16/17 06:33 AM

I've only gone out fishing for them one evening this year, but we had good luck getting right on top of them and dropping slabs straight down on them.
Posted By: Dr. Chase

Re: Lake Whitney question - 05/17/17 09:17 PM

stay out of the path of the guide who runs out of rocky creek lodge with a white Carolina Skiff. He damn near ran over my family and I as he ran half throttle through the no wake zone of rocky creek, with his bow pointed straight up in the air. He wasn't even trying to look at where he was going. I had to hammer the throttle to move and barely avoided being hit by his boat. missed us by a couple feet. We were yelling and screaming at him the whole time as he approached, but he couldn't see or hear us because his head was up his a--.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum