Texas Fishing Forum

Preferred Rod/Reel set up

Posted By: JackieF

Preferred Rod/Reel set up - 04/17/17 03:03 PM

Wanting to learn / target whites, hybrids and stripers. What is your preferred rod & reel set up and your preferred method of fishing? I"m not sure my crappie rods will handle the stress of the bigger fish. Thanks in advance for your replies.
Posted By: Luke57

Re: Preferred Rod/Reel set up - 04/17/17 03:37 PM

JackieF I use a 6ft st croix rod and a phflugger president spinning reel with 14 test line I mainly fish for sandbass using slabs

Re: Preferred Rod/Reel set up - 04/17/17 03:46 PM

Thank you Luke. So a 6 ft ugly stick with spinning reel will work for sandies then. banana
Posted By: briancooper

Re: Preferred Rod/Reel set up - 04/17/17 04:02 PM

It really depends what you are doing. If you are slabbing, you will want a baitcasting reel because a lot of the time, they hit it on the way down and you can't feel that hit with a spinning reel. If you are live bait fishing or casting to them, a spinning reel is fine. There really is no reason to go out and spend a bunch of money, but 7' medium heavy spinning rod with a nice spinning reel and 12-14 lb mono is great for casting. Slabbing, I tend to go a little heavier with 15-20 lb mono. Just my 2 cents.
Posted By: Luke57

Re: Preferred Rod/Reel set up - 04/17/17 04:03 PM

Yes that will work fine a good place for slabs is sand Johnny here on the forum he has the ole ugly slabs and rooster tackle and RSR just to name a few
Posted By: lenahorse

Re: Preferred Rod/Reel set up - 04/17/17 04:18 PM

about what every you got will work fine, Sat I counted 9 rods on boat all but 1 with braid, all baitcasting reels, most rods med/med heavy, I had both, used med most as all casting
Posted By: Andrew Taylor

Re: Preferred Rod/Reel set up - 04/17/17 05:48 PM

I run Berkley Cherrywoods 7'0 MH

Re: Preferred Rod/Reel set up - 04/17/17 07:18 PM

Thank you all for the responses. This forum is so full of knowledge, I have learned alot.
Posted By: CenTexan

Re: Preferred Rod/Reel set up - 04/17/17 08:13 PM

Your Crappie set ups will be fun for Sand Bass. Depending on the line, you may have to upside for Hybrid.
Posted By: D Miner

Re: Preferred Rod/Reel set up - 04/17/17 10:01 PM

Medium-heavy rod is good for striper/hybrids when casting jigs and swimbaits. You can go a lot lighter for white bass.

For vertical slabbing, you might want a heavy action rod since those slabs typically weigh an ounce or more.

Baitcast works best for vertical slabbing and live bait. A built in line counter is really helpful since depth is really important here.

Live bait will be your best bet, especially during daylight hours. Catching them on jigs or swimbaits is a lot more fun though.
Posted By: G Love

Re: Preferred Rod/Reel set up - 04/17/17 10:04 PM

Live bait- ugly stiks and garcias

Everything else- Med or Med Heavy rods. I usually use braid but have some mono set ups too. I just adjust accordingly to lure weight. As in, if I throw a 3/4oz head with a 5" bait then I throw the medium heavy rod. I like Falcons personally.

For Sand bass, mostly light-medium stuff. Spinnin reels with mono.
Posted By: Cigga

Re: Preferred Rod/Reel set up - 04/19/17 09:27 PM

Here is a link to some decent cheap rods. They are very low on spinning rods but has a few casting rods. I got ordered 3 Fenwicks from them last year. 2 casting, a medium and a medium heavy. 1 spinning medium light for my crappie fishing. Great rods for dirt cheap. The Medium Heavy has landed many big hybrids already.

http://www.ffo-tackle.com/ffo-rods/
Posted By: G Love

Re: Preferred Rod/Reel set up - 04/19/17 09:55 PM

Why are they so cheap I wonder?
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: Preferred Rod/Reel set up - 04/19/17 10:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Andrew Taylor

I have two of these (one conventional, one spinning), but the majority of my sandbass/striper rods are Ugly Stiks matched to Ambassadeur reels. Both types of rod are very economical and perform quite well.

No need to spend lots of money on pricey gear for these fish.
Posted By: gotreal formerly known as getreal

Re: Preferred Rod/Reel set up - 04/20/17 01:40 AM

Shakespeare get r done

Re: Preferred Rod/Reel set up - 04/20/17 03:57 PM

Thanks again for all the input. Going to hit Whitney this weekend! banana
Posted By: Cigga

Re: Preferred Rod/Reel set up - 04/21/17 02:34 AM

Originally Posted By: Uncle Zeek
Originally Posted By: Andrew Taylor

I have two of these (one conventional, one spinning), but the majority of my sandbass/striper rods are Ugly Stiks matched to Ambassadeur reels. Both types of rod are very economical and perform quite well.

No need to spend lots of money on pricey gear for these fish.

$15.88 on that website I posted up. LOL! But its only 6'6" medium.
Posted By: Fullofit

Re: Preferred Rod/Reel set up - 04/21/17 04:25 AM

I used zebco 33's and medium rods to troll for sand bass for years. I would destroy one or two reels a year though. I moved up to med/heavy 6'6"-7' rods and 5500 ambassador reels and I think I've replaced one reel in the past 10 years. I mostly troll with a hell/pet combo and this rig can handle it even with a big stripper or catfish. I also use 14lb line.
Posted By: CB Aggie

Re: Preferred Rod/Reel set up - 04/21/17 04:58 AM

Medium light spinning for most fun with whites - Carbonlite by bass pro is a great rig. Carbon lite medium light action with a good spinning reel. One of the most sensitive rods. Trust me you can feel just as much if not more with them. My little brother spanks me with that setup some days. I run with a medium light bait cast skeleton rod. Both are extremely sensitive. Come for the hybrids/stripers I prefer typical medium heavy bass setups. Bass pro carbonlite is very good, H20 express Ethos nano, Duckett crankin rods. All good
Posted By: reel believer

Re: Preferred Rod/Reel set up - 04/21/17 01:49 PM

Cigga,Thanks for posting that link.
Posted By: Dennis Christian

Re: Preferred Rod/Reel set up - 04/22/17 03:32 PM

I now fish Mepps spinners exclusively, cranking my reel to get the bites. For this approach a shorter rod shakes less and lets me feel the bite better. Also, a very smooth casting reel lets me feel the bites better. So, I prefer a reel like a Shimano Curado with 10 lb fluorocarbon line and a 5 ft 6 inch medium action Tournament Choice Angler rod.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum