Texas Fishing Forum

Whats a (Break Line)

Posted By: SunUpSunDown

Whats a (Break Line) - 03/02/17 10:00 PM

I hear other fisherman talking about fishing a break line , I dont understand what their talking about .Is it where the river channel bottom comes up off the bottom and starts to go shallow? Thanks for the help. A pic of a breakline would also help Thanks again.
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: Whats a (Break Line) - 03/02/17 10:06 PM

That's when your line snaps
Posted By: Toxarch

Re: Whats a (Break Line) - 03/03/17 12:47 AM

^When your line breaks on a fish, it's probably a good spot.

A break line is where fast water (current) goes past slow water. In a shallow river you can easily see examples of it where there are larger rocks in the river. Behind the rock, there will be an eddy where the rock is blocking the current and water is slow (or not) moving behind the rock. The break line is where the fast water going past the rock meets the slow water behind the rock. Predator fish will sit on the edge of the slow water, not expending much energy, and wait for prey to go by in the fast water. This could also occur in a small dip (pothole size) in the river where fish can sit in the dip and then watch for prey overhead in the current, but I'm not sure if that's considered a break line, but it's the same tactic.
Posted By: Toxarch

Re: Whats a (Break Line) - 03/03/17 12:52 AM

I went looking for a picture and found that break lines are considered any change in physical structure of the water. Could be what I described above, could be weed lines, a big drop or rise in the bed, structure, whatever.
Posted By: jbobo

Re: Whats a (Break Line) - 03/03/17 12:56 AM

Originally Posted By: Toxarch
I went looking for a picture and found that break lines are considered any change in physical structure of the water. Could be what I described above, could be weed lines, a big drop or rise in the bed, structure, whatever.

This is correct I believe.
Posted By: SunUpSunDown

Re: Whats a (Break Line) - 03/03/17 02:06 AM

Cool thanks
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum