Texas Fishing Forum

Old Photo Big Striper

Posted By: slim1

Old Photo Big Striper - 02/08/17 09:58 PM

Found floating on the surface of Lake Greeson, Arkansas in the 80's. 52 lbs. People there told us that in the summer they would get in deep water and come up to fast. It would kill them. We also found several 10-20 lb'ers.

weekend.
Posted By: psycho0819

Re: Old Photo Big Striper - 02/09/17 07:02 PM

I was there this August and found two well over 20lbs floating by the dam.

Re: Old Photo Big Striper - 02/09/17 07:11 PM

We found these down by the dam. Deep water there.
Posted By: River Mongrel

Re: Old Photo Big Striper - 02/09/17 09:13 PM

That's a 30 to 40 lber
Posted By: Jpmachala

Re: Old Photo Big Striper - 02/09/17 09:29 PM

Unfortunately they're almost completely gone from Greeson now....very very few left.
Posted By: TCK73

Re: Old Photo Big Striper - 02/09/17 10:01 PM

Great pics, thanks for sharing.

I wish I had the pic of myself and my granddad in the early 80's with a mess of stripers we caught at PK. It was on the bulletin board along with a lot of other pics in Hardwick's Store for years. I never got it before they closed the store down.
Posted By: OleMissPharmacy

Re: Old Photo Big Striper - 02/10/17 03:24 AM

Who is the blonde and why does she have clothes on?
Posted By: Kerry Dugan

Re: Old Photo Big Striper - 02/10/17 05:16 AM

Originally Posted By: OleMissPharmacy

Really? Wow. The common sense of having sense is gone now days.

Re: Old Photo Big Striper - 02/10/17 12:25 PM

Originally Posted By: River Mongrel
That's a 30 to 40 lber

Was weighed on Swaha Marina's scales. 52 lbs. Our picture was on the wall up there for years.

Re: Old Photo Big Striper - 02/10/17 04:41 PM

You must be 7 foot tall. Reason I say this is because the Texas state record 53 lber was in my freezer for a day. I rescued it from a taxidermist that wouldn't answer calls from the owner of the fish. I am 6 ft tall . That fish was longer than the fish you are holding. The scale was wrong assuming your not a giant of a man. Still a great big old fish !!
Posted By: CB Aggie

Re: Old Photo Big Striper - 02/10/17 07:15 PM

Wish they still stocked Greeson. Fished that lake a few times and it can easily support those fish up to trophy weights. I think the problem was that nobody went over there to fish for them. Still is a phenomenal fishery for other species such as kentucky bass, white bass, etc
Posted By: Duma

Re: Old Photo Big Striper - 02/10/17 07:33 PM

They got plenty of walleyes too.

What I've heard was the bass fishermansss were complaining and request that they stop stocking that lake with stripers. I've talk to few bass fisherman and they said they wouldn't care less if they stock the lake with stripers are hybrids at all. They believed those predator fish would eat up all the fingerling bass and smaller bass. I almost believed them. Gutted them hybrids at another lake one time found small crappies,and walleyes inside their stomach.

Posted By: Pastor John

Re: Old Photo Big Striper - 02/10/17 11:38 PM

There are a couple of things that could be responsible for the striper to die in the summer. One is temperature. Water that is too warm will kill them. Also, in the summer when the lake temp rises striper will go to deep water to find cooler temps. Some of the deep cool water has very little oxygen and the fish suffocate.
Posted By: Jerod Pontello

Re: Old Photo Big Striper - 02/11/17 01:29 AM

Good post
Posted By: OleMissPharmacy

Re: Old Photo Big Striper - 02/11/17 04:00 AM

Originally Posted By: Kerry Dugan
Originally Posted By: OleMissPharmacy

Really? Wow. The common sense of having sense is gone now days.

Yeah, really. She's hot! Shouldn't all hot women on boats be naked?

Re: Old Photo Big Striper - 02/11/17 01:20 PM

Originally Posted By: River Mongrel
You must be 7 foot tall. Reason I say this is because the Texas state record 53 lber was in my freezer for a day. I rescued it from a taxidermist that wouldn't answer calls from the owner of the fish. I am 6 ft tall . That fish was longer than the fish you are holding. The scale was wrong assuming your not a giant of a man. Still a great big old fish !!

The guy in the picture is my friend he is 6'4". The fish was not measured but it was close to the length of the Texas record. The scales they had were the only certified scales on the lake. There was a GW there when we took it in to weigh it. If the scales were wrong I think he would have said something. Thanks for disputing my picture.

Re: Old Photo Big Striper - 02/13/17 01:15 PM

your welcome. The Texas record was 48 in. You friend has alien legs.
Posted By: DrWhiplash

Re: Old Photo Big Striper - 02/14/17 03:25 AM

Tough crowd roflmao roflmao Had to go back and read thread twice! coolphotos
Posted By: gotreal formerly known as getreal

Re: Old Photo Big Striper - 02/14/17 07:48 AM

Always one. Jealous maybe cheers

Re: Old Photo Big Striper - 02/14/17 02:32 PM

That one. Who is right. Yes rare.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum