Texas Fishing Forum

Sand bass already starting the run?

Posted By: Gonzo89

Sand bass already starting the run? - 12/29/16 01:46 AM

I heard from a few friends that last week they were seeing lots of post on a Facebook kayak fishing group that Hamm creek above lake Whitney was producing large numbers of crappie, sand bass and stripers.
Posted By: fmclee

Re: Sand bass already starting the run? - 12/29/16 01:52 AM

All the female sandbass I caught last week at Whitney had eggs in them ....
Not ready, But they are filling out ..........
Posted By: Dr. Chase

Re: Sand bass already starting the run? - 12/29/16 02:05 PM

lets keep talking about it online so the whole metroplex comes out! bang

i don't get why people want to tell the world where they are catching fish. hope you enjoyed that day. between the talk and the guide pictures getting posted, I'm sure it will be fished out and crowded by this weekend.
Posted By: Smurfs

Re: Sand bass already starting the run? - 12/29/16 02:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Brazos Bass Cat

i don't get why people want to tell the world where they are catching fish. hope you enjoyed that day. between the talk and the guide pictures getting posted, I'm sure it will be fished out and crowded by this weekend.

de
Posted By: Gonzo89

Re: Sand bass already starting the run? - 12/29/16 02:31 PM

Point taken.
Posted By: Chiprat

Re: Sand bass already starting the run? - 12/29/16 02:43 PM

Hamm Creek tomorrow

OMG
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Sand bass already starting the run? - 12/29/16 03:04 PM

Gotta love social media! The genie is out of the bottle! de
Posted By: hook-line&sinker

Re: Sand bass already starting the run? - 12/29/16 03:18 PM

Easy access to an area is more the issue. Fish those places that are hard to get to or overlooked and you can fish alone if that's the way your boat floats. We all keep secrets but I think of this forum & the internet in general, as a way to meet people much like myself with the same interests and concerns. Fishing is not competitive to me as much as it is a cooperative endeavor to be passed down to the next generation. I'm not hungry or poor so I fish & hunt for entertainment mostly but keeping the skill set sharp is important "if or when" the "poop hits the fan". I will survive without the internet but no one else will know where or how I will do that.. wink
Posted By: Hookinup

Re: Sand bass already starting the run? - 12/29/16 04:10 PM

Most places require a Yak or boat to get to the really good spots unless you know a creek that is easy access.
Most people want to just walk in & catch fish & go home but, those places are hard to find unless they do their homework.
Most of us have our secret honey holes & competition is a minimum.

I don't ever give exact location which is why I only give general info.
Don't worry about the potlickers because they'll always come up short compared to those of us that have done our homework. grin

Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: Sand bass already starting the run? - 12/29/16 04:28 PM

Plenty of fish for everyone.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Sand bass already starting the run? - 12/29/16 05:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Dan90210

Yes there are!
Fishing with crowds is going to be the name of the game. You will get a chance to help others and give instruction to the novices and you will have to just kind of bite your tongue when you run into those who are inconsiderate slobs.
you have to remember you are out there to have fun and with the crowds you will at times maybe have to move to keep having that fun.
What I can never get used to is the people who throw their trash out on the bank rather than carry out what they brought in, and figure someone will come behind them and pick it up!
I try to pick up after them, but it can be overwhelming.

Re: Sand bass already starting the run? - 12/29/16 05:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Hookinup

Most places require a Yak or boat to get to the really good spots unless you know a creek that is easy access.
Most people want to just walk in & catch fish & go home but, those places are hard to find unless they do their homework.
Most of us have our secret honey holes & competition is a minimum.

I don't ever give exact location which is why I only give general info.
Don't worry about the potlickers because they'll always come up short compared to those of us that have done our homework. grin

hmmm

Re: Sand bass already starting the run? - 12/29/16 05:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Dan90210

thumb clap
Posted By: fmclee

Re: Sand bass already starting the run? - 12/29/16 07:13 PM

I'm not catching any of my fish there ....
And I'm catching lots of them, and big ones ........
There are big fish all over the lake .....And plenty of them .......
Posted By: Dicster

Re: Sand bass already starting the run? - 12/29/16 08:43 PM

Not sure why peeps get so upset, after all this is a fishing forum. The heading for the forum is "The best place in Texas to talk fishing".
Posted By: iluvfishin

Re: Sand bass already starting the run? - 12/29/16 11:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Dicster

Not sure why peeps get so upset, after all this is a fishing forum. The heading for the forum is "The best place in Texas to talk fishing".

Yup. Don't like the crowds? Go somewhere else
Posted By: Finaddict

Re: Sand bass already starting the run? - 12/30/16 12:07 AM

Not the first time someone has been very negative on a forum. Sounds to me as though this type wants all the info they can get from a sight such as this, IE: benefit, with no real sharing.
What goes around comes around?
Posted By: me and the boys

Re: Sand bass already starting the run? - 12/30/16 12:44 AM

I fish there a lot!!!!!
Yes it can get crowded but it is simple to just move a lil bit...
Everyone may not know the named holes but with today's electronics and maps I hate to tell you but the secrets been out,
They will follow the shad then come back in a couple months.
Seems to me if "you" know the river sooo well to claim it as your own you should know where else to go that others don't!!!!

It's better

Re: Sand bass already starting the run? - 12/30/16 12:48 AM

There's always more fish than can be caught.
Plenty for everyone & then some.
Granted some people are rude & nasty when fishing but, I usually go when it's really cold to avoid the crowds & others stay warm at home.
Then I normally get a place to myself & the few other diehards that may show up.

That reminds me.
I think I may try the Neches at the 31 bridge in Chandler in the a.m.
I'll report if I go..........stay tuned folks.

Re: Sand bass already starting the run? - 12/30/16 05:21 AM

Originally Posted By: iluvfishin

"Yup", you'll have nobody to blame but yourselfves when it turns into anothet Rowlet Creek. AGAIN.

Re: Sand bass already starting the run? - 12/30/16 05:26 AM

Originally Posted By: me and the boys
I fish there a lot!!!!!
Yes it can get crowded but it is simple to just move a lil bit...
Everyone may not know the named holes but with today's electronics and maps I hate to tell you but the secrets been out,
They will follow the shad then come back in a couple months.
Seems to me if "you" know the river sooo well to claim it as your own you should know where else to go that others don't!!!!

It's better

Oh but I do. You're the one on here pestering Mike about where he's catching his fish at. What's your excuse? Why don't you book a trip and pay him for showing you where to go?
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: Sand bass already starting the run? - 12/30/16 05:45 AM

It's way too early. In all likelihood it's probably a small false run that came up with this little warm spell we had here. I've seen it over and over again, we'll get a warm spell from dec-feb and some males will jump the gun and run up. Next artic blast we have they'll be impossible to find I bet. I could be wrong, crazier things have happened, but I highly doubt we'll see any kind of a steady run until at least late February.
Posted By: Lovfldx

Re: Sand bass already starting the run? - 12/30/16 06:07 AM

We have in years past had these "false runs" right here in white rock creek. Exactly the scenario Keith describes. Had a hellacious run up out of the Elm Fork on Joe's Creek a few years ago. We slaughtered the whites in the shadow of the I-35 Traffic! Late December/early January. At the mouth of the creek you could see long lines of whites moving up in creek. Big males along with little ones. All males though. Two weeks later, major snows and bitter cold drove them back in the river and the major run didn't kick off till march. It happens

Re: Sand bass already starting the run? - 12/30/16 06:16 AM

Originally Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher
It's way too early. In all likelihood it's probably a small false run that came up with this little warm spell we had here. I've seen it over and over again, we'll get a warm spell from dec-feb and some males will jump the gun and run up. Next artic blast we have they'll be impossible to find I bet. I could be wrong, crazier things have happened, but I highly doubt we'll see any kind of a steady run until at least late February.

False run ?
Never heard that before till now.
When the run starts it keeps going till they head back to the lake.

That's a nice way to get people to miss the Whitebass run entirely.
By the end of February to 1rst week of March the run is all but over, save a few stragglers.

In my area the end of Dec. to 1rst part of Jan. it's just getting started.
So far it's right on time.

Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: Sand bass already starting the run? - 12/30/16 07:01 AM

Originally Posted By: Hookinup
Originally Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

False run ?
Never heard that before till now.
When the run starts it keeps going till they head back to the lake.

That's a nice way to get people to miss the Whitebass run entirely.
By the end of February to 1rst week of March the run is all but over, save a few stragglers.

In my area the end of Dec. to 1rst part of Jan. it's just getting started.
So far it's right on time.

i was speaking from my own experience here in north Texas, Whitney isn't that far south. Here in north Texas we don't usually see a good wave until well in to March, with occasional small waves or "false" runs early on in the season. Last year we didn't see many numbers at all until late march, and it peaked in late April. I couldn't imagine Whitney area being more that a 2 week earlier difference.
Posted By: iluvfishin

Re: Sand bass already starting the run? - 12/30/16 01:02 PM

Originally Posted By: iluvfishin

"Yup", you'll have nobody to blame but yourselfves when it turns into anothet Rowlet Creek. AGAIN.
violin
Posted By: HeavyLead

Re: Sand bass already starting the run? - 12/30/16 04:45 PM

Despite Rowlett Creek being...well...Rowlett Creek every year, there's still plenty of fish for everyone. Crowds aren't really my cup of tea, but more people catching fish doesn't affect your ability to catch fish. Nobody has ever not caught all the fish they were skilled enough to catch there because other people caught them all. There are just too many of them.
Posted By: leanin post

Re: Sand bass already starting the run? - 12/31/16 01:08 AM

I was in the north bosque on waco today and there were 3 boats whacking the white bass. I watched 3 guys in a boat and it seemed like all 3 were catching a fish every cast. there were 2 other boats trolling back and forth. they were also steadily catching them.
Posted By: TXBass

Re: Sand bass already starting the run? - 12/31/16 07:14 AM

Down in Nueces river they are running strong im seeing BIG stringers being caught everyday these past couple weeks.
Posted By: Lovfldx

Re: Sand bass already starting the run? - 12/31/16 05:29 PM

The nueces is far enough south that the run in that river, as well as other hill country rivers, get a run started this early in the year. I lived in Austin for three years and participated in a few late december/early january runs of spawning, legitimate spawning runs, of whites. But up here, McKinney crappie catcher's experience is pretty much echoing what the rest of us here in the dfdub have experienced.

Rudy
Posted By: Lowly Net Boy

Re: Sand bass already starting the run? - 01/02/17 02:21 AM

[quote=Chiprat]Hamm Creek tomorrow

Waiting for Jimmy Smith to launch
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum