Texas Fishing Forum

Dead sticking for sandbass

Posted By: Cactusflyr

Dead sticking for sandbass - 12/23/16 12:46 PM

Was out yesterday on the lew to try and find some hybrids...deadstick technique. Found the fish, just no hybrids. Lots of small hits but few hookups. Think the sandier just cannot get mouth around the big bait I use for hybrids and striper. Did get a few on the fly tied above. Any suggestions on a smaller presentation than the 1oz jig on the bottom if I get in this situation again.

Re: Dead sticking for sandbass - 12/23/16 12:47 PM

Fwiw, it was on as far as strikes...water temp...49f
Posted By: jbobo

Re: Dead sticking for sandbass - 12/23/16 01:48 PM

We had the same problem Wednesday at Texoma. What bait did you have on the jig? I was on someone else's boat and was told don't bring anything I got it. If I had brought my plastics bag I could have switched to a fluke jr and maybe hooked up with something. I had lots of taps but I got skunked.

Re: Dead sticking for sandbass - 12/23/16 06:11 PM

Had some 1 oz dh jigs by reaxion...knew they would be to big for the sandies, but figured I could find a few hybrids. Have bigger 1.5 oz ones, but none smaller. Anyways, would rather at least catch something small while looking for the bigger fish. Had 5 or 6 inch flukes on the tail, could feel them hitting the tail all day.
Posted By: CHAMPION FISH

Re: Dead sticking for sandbass - 12/23/16 08:28 PM

Downsize as small as you can depending on the wind.

Re: Dead sticking for sandbass - 12/23/16 11:38 PM

1 oz was the smallest I had...soon to be rectified. Had a couple 1/4 oz roadrunners...should have tried those.
Posted By: lenahorse

Re: Dead sticking for sandbass - 12/24/16 12:40 AM

I was using 2oz Wed ! what it took to go down vertical
Posted By: gborg

Re: Dead sticking for sandbass - 12/24/16 03:57 PM

Regardless of lure or jig size , sandies will swatt at it either via tail slap or head on . Stinger hooks which are sold commercially or hand made will put fish in the box immediately. Barrows sells the style I prefer ! Lots of push ups , move pole side to side , not straight up .
Posted By: FishBeeLowMe

Re: Dead sticking for sandbass - 12/24/16 05:30 PM

A heavy 4X treble hook size 4 or 6 with heavy braid line will help
Posted By: gborg

Re: Dead sticking for sandbass - 12/24/16 07:36 PM

Advanced version. Have not seen nor used that variable as yet , but will, thx super !!!
Posted By: FishBeeLowMe

Re: Dead sticking for sandbass - 12/24/16 07:44 PM

Originally Posted By: gborg
Advanced version. Have not seen nor used that variable as yet , but will, thx super !!!

Some tie off of hook bend. The hook eye tie won't slip off hook. SuperGlue on both knots of heavy braid line helps

Re: Dead sticking for sandbass - 12/25/16 01:35 PM

Thx Duck, will try that next time. Merry Christmas to all.
Posted By: Kidstriper

Re: Dead sticking for sandbass - 12/30/16 12:32 AM

Super Duck has the right idea for sure! A stinger will let you know exactly what's swatting at your bait.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum