Texas Fishing Forum

Electric Fillet Knife for Cleaning Hybrid ???

Posted By: big D

Electric Fillet Knife for Cleaning Hybrid ??? - 11/10/16 06:45 PM

I mainly use a manual knife to clean hybrid striper, but my son will only use an electric knife to clean them.

We bought a rapala heavy duty last Christmas and it didn't last one year. It worked great when it worked, but now it rattles and will not cut through the ribs even with a new blade.

What electric knife do you use to clean hybrid striper? Do you cut through the ribs similar to cleaning white bass?

I'd like opinions from guides that clean hybrid stiper regularly as well.

Thanks & God Bless!
Posted By: Laner

Re: Electric Fillet Knife for Cleaning Hybrid ??? - 11/10/16 06:50 PM

The new American Anglers are finally being built the way they used to be, focusing more on quality than price point. I generally use a Bubba Blade, but was reintroduced to the new American Anglers about a year ago, and couldn't be more pleased.

I bought an American Angler in high school, and it still works like a champ to this day.
Posted By: jbobo

Re: Electric Fillet Knife for Cleaning Hybrid ??? - 11/10/16 07:01 PM

I normally use my bubba blade and do not cut rib bones. I cut down from top to ribs until clear of ribs then cut thru the body and down to tail. It takes longer but yields more meat. With that said I use the rapala electric when I have a bunch to clean and clients or impatient fishing buddies waiting. I just figure a new electric knife each yr is part of the tackle expense to put meat on the table. I like it better if they are willing to clean their own though. grin
Posted By: Ross Reamy Guide Service

Re: Electric Fillet Knife for Cleaning Hybrid ??? - 11/10/16 07:58 PM

+1 on what Lane said

https://www.amazon.com/American-Angler-E...er+fillet+knife

This knife with the shark blade can't be beat when i comes to electric fillet knives...
Posted By: kodys'papa

Re: Electric Fillet Knife for Cleaning Hybrid ??? - 11/11/16 02:25 AM

^ thumb
Posted By: ChaserWF

Re: Electric Fillet Knife for Cleaning Hybrid ??? - 11/11/16 05:10 AM

American Angler is a great knife. If you are going to use electric they are the only way to go in my opinion.
Posted By: Andrew Taylor

Re: Electric Fillet Knife for Cleaning Hybrid ??? - 11/11/16 04:32 PM

American angler flehan
Posted By: SALLYSUE

Re: Electric Fillet Knife for Cleaning Hybrid ??? - 11/11/16 04:34 PM

American Anglers
Posted By: Andrew Taylor

Re: Electric Fillet Knife for Cleaning Hybrid ??? - 11/12/16 09:00 PM

American Angler?
Posted By: RANDY WOOD

Re: Electric Fillet Knife for Cleaning Hybrid ??? - 11/12/16 10:15 PM

I have a plastic tub I keep my electric knife in. It's the American Angler knife. It got filled with water and knife was completely immersed in water for a week. Dried it out and still cleaning fish with it
Posted By: Fishical Therapy Conroe Guide

Re: Electric Fillet Knife for Cleaning Hybrid ??? - 11/13/16 01:57 PM

I use a cordless (Rapala) that has the lithium ion battery. I have cleaned 50 crappie with it, as well as 15 hybrids at one time. I still had battery life left. I use a manual filet knife to cut the ribs out of the filet once I have already have the filet out. Keeps the blades a little sharper. Also on any electric or cordless filet knife I use a little cooking oil on the blades to reduce friction.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum