Texas Fishing Forum

Lake Buchanan

Posted By: sic'em

Lake Buchanan - 11/09/16 02:16 AM

Has anybody had any luck at Buchanan recently? TPWD said whites were slow last week. Seems like the water temp still hadn't dropped below 80 yet. I've seen people posting about great days at other lakes, particularly a little farther north. I'm hoping to have a decent weekend at Buchanan this weekend.
Posted By: OliverBassin

Re: Lake Buchanan - 11/09/16 09:10 AM

balloons
Posted By: BrandoA

Re: Lake Buchanan - 11/10/16 08:26 PM

Don't read any TPWD reports. Temps is 75. I haven't been out but Max caught some nice fish today.
Posted By: Duma

Re: Lake Buchanan - 11/10/16 08:51 PM

Y'all know another route to get to Buchanan without paying the toll from Houston ?

Re: Lake Buchanan - 11/10/16 09:02 PM

Bruce you could go 290, 35, 29. Or go I-10, 71, 35, 29. Personally I would pay the toll.
Posted By: sic'em

Re: Lake Buchanan - 11/11/16 12:44 AM

Any idea where and how people are catching them? Glad to hear the water temp has dropped. TPWD report from this week is exactly the same as last week so it sounds like you're right, they're useless.
Posted By: c.g

Re: Lake Buchanan - 11/11/16 02:55 AM

Originally Posted By: BrandoA
Bruce you could go 290, 35, 29. Or go I-10, 71, 35, 29. Personally I would pay the toll.

290, Parmer Ln/Ronald Reagan Blvd, 29 looks good.. (???)
Posted By: j791

Re: Lake Buchanan - 11/11/16 03:18 AM

I wish someone would give some fishing patterns, techniques, lures...something.
Posted By: KG68

Re: Lake Buchanan - 11/11/16 04:13 PM

Originally Posted By: j791
I wish someone would give some fishing patterns, techniques, lures...something.

Posted By: Duma

Re: Lake Buchanan - 11/11/16 04:31 PM

Originally Posted By: c.g

Reason I ask is my toll pay by mail doesnt get to me on time. I have issues with my resident address and those mail get lost. Another way is ez tag but I do not want it at this time. Last three trips they rack me up for over $100 for toll and bull cr-p fees.

Re: Lake Buchanan - 11/11/16 06:32 PM

Originally Posted By: sic'em
Any idea where and how people are catching them? Glad to hear the water temp has dropped. TPWD report from this week is exactly the same as last week so it sounds like you're right, they're useless.

Same report for the last year. I fish live bait primarily unless they are schooling on top then I will switch to a pencil popper. This time of year you can find them in all depths. I fish primarily from Shaw Island and south. This time of year I look for humps and secondary points with trees nearby. As the water continues to cool "thumping" becomes better.

Re: Lake Buchanan - 11/11/16 06:34 PM

Originally Posted By: brucevannguyen
Originally Posted By: c.g

Reason I ask is my toll pay by mail doesnt get to me on time. I have issues with my resident address and those mail get lost. Another way is ez tag but I do not want it at this time. Last three trips they rack me up for over $100 for toll and bull cr-p fees.

Dang that would suck!!!
Posted By: c.g

Re: Lake Buchanan - 11/11/16 06:59 PM

my neighbor had to protest them half of the times for being charged for tandem axle with his single axle trailer

just a heads up..

Re: Lake Buchanan - 11/12/16 03:58 AM

Originally Posted By: sic'em

Same report for the last year. I fish live bait primarily unless they are schooling on top then I will switch to a pencil popper. This time of year you can find them in all depths. I fish primarily from Shaw Island and south. This time of year I look for humps and secondary points with trees nearby. As the water continues to cool "thumping" becomes better.

Do you catch shad or buy your bait? I know shad are the way to go but catching and keeping them alive is a pain.
Posted By: snowyriver6

Re: Lake Buchanan - 11/12/16 04:34 AM

Brandon tell us that story again about how you cussed out the wrong people at the boat ramp, thats so funny I'm still laughing. Maybe we can meet up and I'll show you some more tricks

I am the Striper King on buchanan !!!!!

Try the humps around shaw and double tin horn which is just east of striper island. You'll see the trees on your graph. I limited out there twice fir and sat. you can buy jumbo minnows at red top bait shop. Almost as good as shad

Re: Lake Buchanan - 11/12/16 12:27 PM

Thanks Striper King, that is the most useful information I have seen yet on this forum.

Re: Lake Buchanan - 11/14/16 02:53 PM

SK I would love to meet up with up but internet tough guys like you tend to just troll .

j791 Jumbos do work good but I wouldn't buy them from redtop. Most of the time you are getting nothing but large minnows. I prefer to buy in Marble at Thomas Bait shop. Buy them by the pound 3 pound minimum, Which depending on size will be around 100 baits. They work well when it is cold but make no mistake they will never come close to outperforming shad. If you are serious about striper fishing buy a good bait tank. Greyline makes a very good. I have 50 gallon tanks but for most a 25-30 gallon will be plenty. As far as keeping shad alive its not that hard for the most part. Use fresh lake water and ad one big handful of rock salt. The key is good filters and no foreign chemicals like chlorine and sunscreen. Those two things along with other chemicals will kill a tank fast.

Locating shad can be sometimes tricky and other times easy as waking up. A shad is like woman you never know what they are going to. For threadfin early morning is the key. Turn on your lights and watch you graph and look for flips. The shad will tell you what depth. I caught them in as deep as 50 ft. Gizzards are what I call my catch in the daytime bait. They like muddier water so the north end is usually the better place. During the heat of the summer go to back of coves and creeks and throw. Again look for flips.
Posted By: Holzer

Re: Lake Buchanan - 11/14/16 06:16 PM

Originally Posted By: snowyriver6
Brandon tell us that story again about how you cussed out the wrong people at the boat ramp, thats so funny I'm still laughing. Maybe we can meet up and I'll show you some more tricks

I am the Striper King on buchanan !!!!!

Re: Lake Buchanan - 11/14/16 09:19 PM

carry a green slab with you . Good for bouncing off the bottom for whites. 15 inch at buch are not uncommon. Tell brandon I said hi if you see him there. And have him tell you that funny story. Everybody on the lake is still laughing about it.

Re: Lake Buchanan - 11/14/16 09:51 PM

Everybody laughs at how big a coward you are especially the guides lol

Re: Lake Buchanan - 11/15/16 12:04 AM

gosh brandon, you sound like one of those internet tough guys. I know you're disappointed that I am the striper king on buchanan. Sounds like we have the regular guys on one side and the clan on the other. We're trying to be civil, it isnt our fault you cuss out people on the boat ramp, and then discover you cussed out the wrong people. Kinda funny tho.
Posted By: Bob Landry

Re: Lake Buchanan - 11/15/16 12:51 AM

Maybe Brandon is just running a little late for his HRT. Give him a break.

Re: Lake Buchanan - 11/15/16 02:13 PM

Now its us versus them. lol All this animosity over guides just because you weren't allowed to use their private locked docked and you didn't like where they parked ( even though we get on the water hours before anyone else and get first shot.) Man its a good thing you live in Austin you can grab your blanky and go to a safe space. LOL what a troll.

Re: Lake Buchanan - 11/15/16 02:18 PM

And as for the cursing incident by all accounts you weren't there. But to tell the story, when a boater ignores the no wake buoys and throws a big wake causing my boat, which is rather expensive, as well as all the other boats tied to the docks, to get bang to hell against the docks, Then yes I am going to say something. And it wasn't just me but about 7 other boat owners. It also didn't help the fact that there had been other instances on the water. I did think it was you because his boats name was Striper King. I later did have a good talk with the young man and now all is good.
Posted By: rebait

Re: Lake Buchanan - 11/17/16 09:20 PM

Brandon
Thanks for telling your side of the famed story. Maybe that is enough to get this forum back to fishing and not so many personal attacks. Most of us have all done or said something we regret later or were too quick to place blame. All we can do is apologize and try to do better the next time around. I for one am tired of hearing about it. Thanks for all the fishing tips you give out about Buchanan. I am trying to learn it and any little bit helps.
Posted By: r.francis

Re: Lake Buchanan - 11/18/16 04:22 PM

I am not sure who the best fisherman on Buchanan is but I suspect it is not me. I do know that Brandon has always been helpful to me with fishing advise and tips. He also has volunteered his skills and equipment to allow kids to experience fishing first hand. He has my admiration. Robert Francis
Posted By: KG68

Re: Lake Buchanan - 11/18/16 09:09 PM

Originally Posted By: snowyriver6

I am the Striper Queen on buchanan !!!!!

roflmao
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum