Texas Fishing Forum

Test your skill just for fun

Posted By: Duma

Test your skill just for fun - 09/27/16 03:46 PM

I know a lot of you guys pay attention to all the details related to fishing like barometric pressure,wind directions,moon phases,dates that aligned, etc...
So reason I ask is we are seing North wind rolling in this entire week. Barometric pressure is a little over 30". What will it do to the bites. Will it slow down the bites? Will the pattern changes. Will the fish be where they were last week?
I plan on doing just that this weekend. To find answers and will only put in a fishing report to guys that put in their efforts putting in their guess or for the already pro fisherman guys their answers. Thanks. Just for fun .

sarcastic frkazoid lol_2

My guess is fish has to eat. For the last four trips I gutted and check their stomach contents. Empty,nothing inside any of those fish. I think they are alway's hungry and would still feed with the right bait and the right presentation. Now don't get me wrong I've seen blue bird skies days where I couldn't even catch enough fish to take home for dinner, but I think this front is too weak,my balls is still sweating from staying and working out side. I don't think it makes any differnces. I am no pro to tell anything. Still learning. I'll gladly excepted it if my guess is wrong. Like I said,Just for fun!! A learning experiences for all.
Posted By: Andrew Taylor

Re: Test your skill just for fun - 09/27/16 05:14 PM

The cats will turn on grin
Posted By: LetgoFishing

Re: Test your skill just for fun - 09/27/16 06:29 PM

I think since the north wind just started, the bite will be slow. I think the bite would pick up by the weekend, but might not be at the same place from last weekend. smile

Re: Test your skill just for fun - 09/27/16 06:40 PM

OK guys y'all know I was bull chitting about only reporting to guys that are guessing. I'm gonna put in a report. Hope we all shed a little info about the front and its impacts on bites and on fish behaviors so that no one would waste thier time on a bad condition days even though they got a real bad itch. Save their gas and time for another day. Stay home and watch Youtubes of peoples catching fishes. Ha!! loco_2
Posted By: beltonbill

Re: Test your skill just for fun - 09/27/16 06:49 PM

The north wind will slow the bite. I don't even bother to go with a north wind. A calm day can be almost as bad.
Posted By: Bowmansdad

Re: Test your skill just for fun - 09/27/16 06:58 PM

The forecast shows steady conditions for the next week or so. The fish will adjust in a few days and since they are ambush feeders, they will be looking for new ambush points that may or may not be in the same areas where they were. Scouting as always will find them and if the water temperature cools, I'll predict a more aggressive bite.
As always, you can't catch them unless you go. Good luck to all!

Re: Test your skill just for fun - 09/27/16 07:12 PM

Originally Posted By: beltonbill
The north wind will slow the bite. I don't even bother to go with a north wind. A calm day can be almost as bad.

I think we might have a winner here.
Posted By: voodew

Re: Test your skill just for fun - 09/27/16 07:38 PM

I think this weekend will be fine and starting tomorrow it should be picking up Topwater will improve as the water cools...........then the lake will turn over (2 weeks of bad fishing)which is when you stay home and reline all your gear and fix all the things on your boat you just didn't have time too
Then mid November it gets crazy good

At least thats what I believe
Posted By: J Lowe

Re: Test your skill just for fun - 09/27/16 10:06 PM

I go anytime I get a chance to fish. But if I don't do any good, I'll just blame it on the weather.. lol
Posted By: Not2Old2Fish

Re: Test your skill just for fun - 09/27/16 10:16 PM

thumb
Posted By: SheldonMOAC

Re: Test your skill just for fun - 09/27/16 10:37 PM

thumb
Posted By: CHAMPION FISH

Re: Test your skill just for fun - 09/27/16 10:43 PM

I never catch any fish sitting in my recliner. If I have a chance I go.
Posted By: lenahorse

Re: Test your skill just for fun - 09/28/16 02:14 AM

I will let you know tomorrow night how we did, showing west wind here at 6 mph with change coming later in the day, looking for an aggressive bite compared to last trip. We shall see.

Re: Test your skill just for fun - 09/28/16 02:33 AM

That's great lenahorse!! We compare notes everyone benifits. All I needed to know is how are these fish reacting to a whole week of northern winds.
Posted By: ML56

Re: Test your skill just for fun - 09/28/16 04:16 AM

I've kept a log book on trips for over 20 years now, my experience is 2nd day after front is beautiful cool,calm weather. Nice day to be on water, but till the wind starts back from the south, the bite is suppressed. We are supposed to have another front pass us on Thursday to Friday, so I predict weekend will be poor. I will try to fish just ahead of the front and see if they have gone back on the feed yet. I tried the umbrella rigs as you instructed, and found them to be a bit of a chore to keep up with, did box a two man limit of whites though. Thanks for sharing your brain Bruce.-Mike

Re: Test your skill just for fun - 09/28/16 05:11 AM

Gosh Mike 20 years is a lot of years. The same thought did cross my mind too.I'm really thinking though that the umbrella rig will save the day at least for them white bass. I don't think them whites can resist them blades swimming across their face. Front or no front. I've learn one other important thing about them fishes. They are like dogs. If you run from a dog that are barking at you they will chase after you and bite your arsh. That is just their natural instinct. If you slowly move away they don't go after you. Same goes with these fishes. If a bait fish is fleeing in front of their face they will go after it like a dog not because they wanted to feed. I know them fish are hungry but for some strange reasons they just haven't been filling their belly with shads. I cannot remember any of my past trip fish clean gutted and inspected had any thing in side their stomach. I am still at a lost not understanding why is it that they are restraining from filling their belly with shads. Maybe this is just an isolated incident on this one lake only and not other lakes but how would I know. I haven't fish any other lake recently.
Only times I fail to get fish to bite is when there is too much bait at that location I am fishing. Then I'll have to move and find smaller bait balls.
Posted By: PMB

Re: Test your skill just for fun - 09/28/16 11:15 AM

Not sure on this guys but I prefer the south wind but I have caught fish well on south side of lake after 3-4 continuous days of a north wind. As far a fronts go I find fishing best just before the front gets in.

For cats I like the coldest weather I can get. Tough to get out there then but some of my best days start with ice in the bottom of the boat from throwing the net.
Posted By: voodew

Re: Test your skill just for fun - 09/28/16 08:12 PM

Compared to last Friday. Surface temp was 86.5. Now it's 81.5
The thermocline was at 30'. Now it's 38'
The fish were at 24' now they are 31'
The fish were not where they had been for 2 weeks
It was calm and clear all morning
Last Friday I we caught 64 today we caught 26. - the fish were biting we just spent the better part of the morning trying to find where they went
Posted By: chrisc/striper express guide service

Re: Test your skill just for fun - 09/28/16 08:26 PM

Fish you been wailing on are reacting to umbrella not feeding already. You kind of already realize this IMO by what you are posting. If their bellies full of shad no reason to troll they will bite anything that they think is shad. Anyways fronts affect em but the fishing is still good and you never know unless you go. In my 22 years of guiding I've seen every "rule" broke many times!
Posted By: captain steve barnes

Re: Test your skill just for fun - 09/28/16 08:51 PM

The more you fish the more you realize how little you knew about fishing.
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: Test your skill just for fun - 09/28/16 08:54 PM

Fishes gotta eat. Fishermen gotta fish.

Re: Test your skill just for fun - 09/28/16 10:03 PM

Awe but report from other forums says they are tearing up the white bass today. Im really thinking right now this front is too weak. The ones we should be worrying about is those that produces white caps and turns the water off color.
So too weak no worry. White caps worry.

Re: Test your skill just for fun - 09/28/16 10:23 PM

Bruce well were back, just as I thought VERY aggressive fish today, they hit hard, shallow in 8-12' best, 4" curly tails from MT Pockets Tackle was it + the old stand by Little George white again best, really no smaller fish hardly caught today, huge sand bass very good stripers and hybrids, nothing on top or birds just small minnows jumping, cant guess on tomorrow bit it's showing windy.

Re: Test your skill just for fun - 09/28/16 10:27 PM

WOW!! THAT IS FREAKIN AWESOME!! Thanks for the report lenahorse. You can borrow my horse any time!!

Re: Test your skill just for fun - 09/28/16 10:56 PM

Uh ??? Even the crappie guys are having a field day today ???
Hum this one defiantly getting noted in the book as first weak cold front fish still bitting. Learning man learning.
Posted By: SeaPro-Todd

Re: Test your skill just for fun - 09/29/16 12:30 AM

This weekend warrior can only fish a couple of times a month and has limited time. So I have to try harder on unfavourable condition days and be positive. I've caught fish on days of East wind, when cows not standing, blue bird skies, etc. But Ive been skunked on favorable days as well. So I just go when I can and keep an open mind on the "rules" many of which have merit and are entertaining as heck. Lol

I am thinking at the end of the day we will all be schooled by the fish (and mother nature) so there will still be fish left for ME to catch grin
Posted By: Ledeez

Re: Test your skill just for fun - 09/29/16 01:20 AM

Great thread with lots of info.. Btw heavy schooling north of tickey creek near the roadbed about 11am no wind and the sandies flying out the water. Of course I'm watching from the work van... No gear! Weak front might have made them hungry and on the move due to I haven't haven't seen that type of schooling in this particular area in couple years
Posted By: J-Moe

Re: Test your skill just for fun - 09/29/16 01:31 AM

Agree, great thread thumb Thanks for sharing information.
Posted By: beltonbill

Re: Test your skill just for fun - 09/29/16 01:48 AM

Jamoke called me and said that Tuesday evening was very good late with almost calm conditions. I went tonight and caught 4 hybrids and 10 whites just before dark. Wind was light from the northwest so who knew. I didn't expect it to be so good.

Re: Test your skill just for fun - 09/29/16 02:12 AM

Originally Posted By: beltonbill
Jamoke called me and said that Tuesday evening was very good late with almost calm conditions. I went tonight and caught 4 hybrids and 10 whites just before dark. Wind was light from the northwest so who knew. I didn't expect it to be so good.

I hope nobody feelings got ticked putting in a wrong guess. Like I said just for fun and a learning experience for all. One that we can add to our little fishing diary.

Mr.Bill That's what's great about a forum when little things like this is shared and piece of the puzzle starts to fit and make some sense with some good reports to back up the question. We get enlighten and learn and understand just a little more about them fish. I was really paying attention to their stomach content. For 4 weeks in a row nothing. How can they survive I ask my self ? They must feed soon.
Every thing is telling me this weak front is perfect cooling down the water a bit giving them the flexibility to roam places where they can not go to before when the weather was still hot. I'm guessing all hell is gonna break loose from now through October. Some report are already reporting whites are schooling like crazy lately.

Mr.J Moe Sounds like time to do some fly fishing on the lake to me. smile
Posted By: captain steve barnes

Re: Test your skill just for fun - 09/29/16 10:55 PM

Cold fronts are good this time of year but in the early spring they tend to slow things down.
Posted By: SteveStrasemeier

Re: Test your skill just for fun - 09/30/16 01:42 AM

Fished Whitney today. Was hoping to get in a couple of early morning hours fishing before the North wind moved in. Didn't happen - Met Rob at 6:30 am and the wind was already directly out of the North and creating white caps. Looked for early morning surfacing but found none. Caught several nice LMB along the banks on top but only found one short top water action from a few small sandies. At this point figured this was going to be a really tough day - I was wrong. Just hunkered down and went on the prowl. Found a lot of small sandies and striper with some good uns mixed in on structure 20-35 fow. Fish were agressive.

Re: Test your skill just for fun - 09/30/16 02:11 AM

Thanks for the report Steve. I like the word aggresive. Hope we get in on some of those aggresive bite this weekend so we don't have to troll. So far since the front rolled in many report describing aggressive bites. Lows gonna be in the mid 50 this weekend. I think them fish is gonna go nuts. So ready far some aggressive bites.

Re: Test your skill just for fun - 10/03/16 02:07 PM

So here's my thoughts on how the front effect the bites. First of all pattern had changed for sure. Cooler weather got the fish heading toward the banks instead of roaming the flats. As for the bites. The whites completely shut down. Hybrids on the other hand were able to tolerate and adjust quicker and were feeding enabling me to catch them.
I fished a cloudy day late Saturday and then blue bird sky on Sunday. It made no differents. Would I go again next time ? Most definitely yes. I think with a little persistent and a lot of looking,eventually we may find a few school over come by hunger and willing to feed. I've caught hybrids this weekend that gave me the ride for the money. They fight HARD!! Slamming the reel hard. Drag screaming for dear life. It don't get any better then that. Even my boy were struggling to reel them in. It was a good weekend!!
smile
Posted By: jbobo

Re: Test your skill just for fun - 10/03/16 04:09 PM

thumb Saw the pics on the other post. Nice fish!

Re: Test your skill just for fun - 10/03/16 04:55 PM

Friends yesterday on Tawakoni had a great catch as we have the last month about every trip, I feel it just will get better soon, we will be back out Wednesday and will update again, Bruce fix truck!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum