Texas Fishing Forum

Thoughts on Epic 21 SC bay boat?

Posted By: CB Aggie

Thoughts on Epic 21 SC bay boat? - 08/19/16 03:35 AM

Hey all,

We are looking into bay boats for a "do all fishing types" application - whites/stripers, bass, and crappie, and maybe some actual bay fishing. Looking into boats that are about 20', have the most deck space possible, and have a single axle trailer (light and easy to trailer). I have been eyeing the Epic 21 SC bay boat - the deck space seems to be unmatched by competition for the 20' size. What I am worried about is quality and ride since I don't know much about the boats. Any info/tips/warnings would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Carter
Posted By: TCK73

Re: Thoughts on Epic 21 SC bay boat? - 08/19/16 12:14 PM

There are a few guys on here that have them, maybe they will chime in. The only thing I have been told about them (by a reputable fiberglass shop) is that the hulls are thinner than a lot of the others.
Posted By: CrappieCurt

Re: Thoughts on Epic 21 SC bay boat? - 08/19/16 01:41 PM

You might look at Sea Fox they have a lot of deck space. I just traded a 200xt Pro Series for my dads 2110 Nautic Star and I'm disappointed in the deck space of my new boat compared to Sea Fox. Epics are good looking boats, though I have no experience with them.
Posted By: Lead slinger

Re: Thoughts on Epic 21 SC bay boat? - 08/19/16 01:58 PM

Lots of room and a great ride. I'm happy with mine
Posted By: Kidstriper

Re: Thoughts on Epic 21 SC bay boat? - 08/19/16 10:57 PM

I just bought one its supposed to be ready tomorrow, I've looked at several boats the last year and keep going back to Epic. I researched them and read a lot about there Hulls, there solid no worries. Not all 21' come with single axle but mine did. I like the Carolina Flare as well.

Posted By: Yaffe (Jeff)

Re: Thoughts on Epic 21 SC bay boat? - 08/20/16 12:04 AM

coolphotos
Posted By: Striper54

Re: Thoughts on Epic 21 SC bay boat? - 08/20/16 02:10 AM

I have a 22sc and have been all over Texas fishing striper tournaments with no problem.

Re: Thoughts on Epic 21 SC bay boat? - 08/20/16 02:42 AM

Originally Posted By: Kidstriper
I just bought one its supposed to be ready tomorrow, I've looked at several boats the last year and keep going back to Epic. I researched them and read a lot about there Hulls, there solid no worries. Not all 21' come with single axle but mine did. I like the Carolina Flare as well.

Nice looking rig, now go get it bloody. cheers
Posted By: BassBlack

Re: Thoughts on Epic 21 SC bay boat? - 08/22/16 02:10 AM

please don't listen people that talk out of there as_!!!
people tend to talk sh_t about things they do not know about personally
and they rely on there life about "what other people said"!
the hulls are great they are as strong as any! there only made in Louisiana moron.
they do not have trouble with there hulls, I bought a new one 22sc
and it is great! this coming from a lifetime bass boat owner.
I live on fork and face the tragic stumps that the lake presents with no problems.
they are great boats,BUT !! there is a learning curve on getting use to them I have the
troll motor with remote which is different. if you need to look at one holler.
excuse whatever grammer or faults, just got in from Don Lalos Sulphur Springs

Re: Thoughts on Epic 21 SC bay boat? - 08/22/16 02:15 AM

Don't buy it from the Louisiana plant. They are currently repairing a bunch of boats due to resin and gelcoat issues"
hey Jeff who exactly did you talk to on this?? ive personally spoke with the plant manager
and it's news to him so please let us know who you spoke with so the
plant can verify this claim.
Posted By: DU SOUTH5

Re: Thoughts on Epic 21 SC bay boat? - 08/22/16 02:51 AM

I don't know how they ride but just from looking in a couple I think there are nicer built boats. Those epics are more of a price point boat I think. I believe u would get longer life from a Majek, skeeter, or ranger bay hull but the prices are quite a bit different. If Im not Mistaken epic bought some of the old VIP hull designs, equipment?? I also think they are making them or storing finished hulls in the old VIP boat yard in E tx. Not 100% on that but I'm pretty sure. Maybe someone can clarify. Be sure to check them all out and don't rule out a Majek, or Haynie both built in Texas!
Posted By: Ross Reamy Guide Service

Re: Thoughts on Epic 21 SC bay boat? - 08/22/16 11:25 AM

I guide on RC from a 22SC every weekend, and fish several afternoons during the week and I couldn't be any happier with mine. The deck is very well thought out, and I even had room to put the slimline Grayline bank tank behind the leaning post. I've got a 175 etec on it and get around 50MPH WOT wiht just me in it.

Assuming you're putting a Terrova w/ iPilot on it, get at least the 24V if not the 36V.
Posted By: Tx Tree Grower

Re: Thoughts on Epic 21 SC bay boat? - 08/22/16 01:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Green Epic Ross
I guide on RC from a 22SC every weekend, and fish several afternoons during the week and I couldn't be any happier with mine. The deck is very well thought out, and I even had room to put the slimline Grayline bank tank behind the leaning post. I've got a 175 etec on it and get around 50MPH WOT wiht just me in it.

Assuming you're putting a Terrova w/ iPilot on it, get at least the 24V if not the 36V.

I see that boat on RC all the time. It is one beautiful rig. Love that color.
Posted By: Ross Reamy Guide Service

Re: Thoughts on Epic 21 SC bay boat? - 08/22/16 02:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Tx Tree Grower
Originally Posted By: Green Epic Ross

I see that boat on RC all the time. It is one beautiful rig. Love that color.

Thanks! When I saw they offered lime green there was no question what color I'd be getting... haha
Posted By: Filletmaker

Re: Thoughts on Epic 21 SC bay boat? - 08/22/16 10:38 PM

They are currently repairing a bunch of boats due to resin and gelcoat issues! I have heard the same thing. I know of one local dealer that quite selling them because of the problems they are having. Yes you hear a lot of stuff going around just make sure you check them out. I have a Seafox and dealers tell you not to buy one anymore because its hard to get them to honor the warranty. So who knows???????????????
Posted By: Lead slinger

Re: Thoughts on Epic 21 SC bay boat? - 08/22/16 10:56 PM

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones because mine is from there and has no gelcoat problems but it's a 22c . If I had to put out something negative about the boat it would have to be the latches they could be better quality other than that I'm a happy camper. Now I have heard as far as getting any warranty work done it can take some time before hearing back for approval . I think I know of the boat they are speaking about it has an issue with the gelcoat on the flooring and Epic is giving them the run around from what I have heard from the same local dealer
Posted By: fmclee

Re: Thoughts on Epic 21 SC bay boat? - 08/22/16 11:19 PM

Originally Posted By: BassBlack
please don't listen people that talk out of there as_!!!
people tend to talk sh_t about things they do not know about personally
and they rely on there life about "what other people said"!
the hulls are great they are as strong as any! there only made in Louisiana moron.
they do not have trouble with there hulls, I bought a new one 22sc
and it is great! this coming from a lifetime bass boat owner.
I live on fork and face the tragic stumps that the lake presents with no problems.
they are great boats,BUT !! there is a learning curve on getting use to them I have the
troll motor with remote which is different. if you need to look at one holler.
excuse whatever grammer or faults, just got in from Don Lalos Sulphur Springs

You probably should do some research ....
Go to Google and type in "epic boat problems"
You will be very surprised.......

Re: Thoughts on Epic 21 SC bay boat? - 08/23/16 02:55 PM

Fmclee,,done alot if research before my purchase, plus talking to dealers across the nation. There was basically one customer that had issues years ago.and want handled to his liking. The rest of the stories centered around that story"I heard or i saw or this and that" there happens to be a large group of individual's that unfortunately use google or the "internet as gospel" as this thread readsthere are numerous first hand accounts of the boats performance and facts, but PLEASE remember! Its the internet!

Re: Thoughts on Epic 21 SC bay boat? - 08/23/16 03:14 PM

Originally Posted By: BassBlack
Fmclee,,done alot if research before my purchase, plus talking to dealers across the nation. There was basically one customer that had issues years ago.and want handled to his liking. The rest of the stories centered around that story"I heard or i saw or this and that" there happens to be a large group of individual's that unfortunately use google or the "internet as gospel" as this thread readsthere are numerous first hand accounts of the boats performance and facts, but PLEASE remember! Its the internet!

If its on Google it has to be true......lol.. roflmao
Posted By: fmclee

Re: Thoughts on Epic 21 SC bay boat? - 08/24/16 12:01 AM

I tend to believe articles written by fisherman and forum members.
Not just the run of the mill everybody. The articles I read were written by members just like the ones here on this forum.
So .......... you are talking about your fellow boaters and fishermen, and yourselves.
Good Luck .. You typically get what you pay for ......
Posted By: EPIC Steve

Re: Thoughts on Epic 21 SC bay boat? - 08/24/16 01:02 AM

I have a 22SC and have having a t top added this week. The only problem I had is the EZ load trailer the boat loads off center. Have had it in shops but thy can not get the runners ajusted properly. I have a 200 hp Yamaha HP 1199 I-Polit. I'm not a fan of a single axel trailer. If I had to get another boat it would be 25SC lol
Good luck
Posted By: Scurry Joe

Re: Thoughts on Epic 21 SC bay boat? - 08/25/16 02:28 AM

I also have a 22sc. I had the fiberglass around the motor mounting crack, but I blame motor installer. I don't think the mounting bolts were torqued correctly. All was fixed by the dealer, no problems no worries. Great ride on rough water. My wife is uncomfortable on rough water in our old boat. No problems with the Epic. I'm with Epic Steve on the t top.
Posted By: hamster1

Re: Thoughts on Epic 21 SC bay boat? - 08/27/16 08:07 PM

Check out A1 Auto sales off divison/Lancaster. Just drove by aND saw that they had one parked out front
Posted By: CB Aggie

Re: Thoughts on Epic 21 SC bay boat? - 08/29/16 02:27 AM

Thanks guys. They have the best deck layout in my opinion but I am scared of how they treat customers when warranty problems arise - like latches, etc. I think I may steer clear of an epic. I'm jealous of anybody who has good luck with them cause they look awesome!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum