Texas Fishing Forum

Palo Pinto

Posted By: G Love

Palo Pinto - 08/08/16 03:31 AM

I've been twice now, scanned for a total of 6-7 hours both times. I can not find a Hybrid to save my life. Can't even mark any. I literally didn't mark more than two, maybe three in a pod. I finally threw my hands up and drifted a drop off in the dam cove where I marked a couple decent fish and picked up a Flathead. So I guess that wasn't even Hybrids lol. Any info on that lake at all, would put me in debt to ya. I've never drew such a blank like I have out there. Ghost fish.
Posted By: PKfishin

Re: Palo Pinto - 08/08/16 03:01 PM

Does not surprise me. I was there a month or so back and saw 90 deg surface water temps. Caught a few small crappie up the creek but didn't mark fish in the lake.

Re: Palo Pinto - 08/08/16 04:30 PM

Yeah water temps were 90. 87 degrees at 6:30am.
Posted By: CB Aggie

Re: Palo Pinto - 08/08/16 07:45 PM

When water temp gets that high they usually spread out in my experience. I usually only have luck early in the morning or right before sunset. But I have never fished that lake before. Is it a power plant lake?

Re: Palo Pinto - 08/08/16 09:13 PM

There is a release, but I don't think it's what one would consider a "power plant lake" but, I could be wrong. Water temps at Whitney 2 weeks ago were 89-90 where I fished and they were spread out also. But I marked and caught some fish. Not many but did. Very scattered.
Posted By: captaincam3

Re: Palo Pinto - 08/09/16 02:10 PM

Wasn't Palo Pinto nearly completely dry 2 years ago?

Re: Palo Pinto - 08/09/16 02:11 PM

Affirmative.
Posted By: captaincam3

Re: Palo Pinto - 08/09/16 02:25 PM

You think that the hybrids stocked 2013 and prior are swimming?

Re: Palo Pinto - 08/09/16 03:31 PM

Apparently not lol that or I suck at fishing. Both quite possible.
Posted By: cobryan: OB'S Guide Service

Re: Palo Pinto - 08/09/16 06:28 PM

Someone probably shot all of them while bow fishing. LOL

Re: Palo Pinto - 08/09/16 09:03 PM

We caught some behind the spill way a few months ago so I know there was at least some in there.
Posted By: txhighcaliber

Re: Palo Pinto - 08/13/16 04:32 AM

I never heard of anyone fishing hybrids in plo pinto.

Re: Palo Pinto - 08/15/16 02:51 PM

Trolling town. I'm over it though. When I go back, I'm just going to target Ducks & Blues.
Posted By: samh

Re: Palo Pinto - 08/16/16 01:30 AM

Palo Pinto did not dry up totally. The area from mid lake to the dam had water and the Palo Pinto Creek channel had 5 ft in it up passed the island. The rains came during the shad spawn, there was not a cold weather shad kill so the lake is full of shad and other minnows. I have fished at night a couple times this summer and go home without catching anything. I am amazed at how much bait there is in the water no matter where I drop my light, as soon as I drop it. The few fish I do see come out of the lake are very healthy and the size has been above average for Palo Pinto. I have been fishing that lake for over 25 years and have never seen it clear up as good or as fast as it does now. Maybe from all the vegitation that grew up 10-12 ft tal when the lake was down. I am hoping for a major freeze and a big shad die off....that should turn the "catching" around.

Re: Palo Pinto - 08/16/16 02:20 PM

Thanks for the info man! That's interesting.
Posted By: samh

Re: Palo Pinto - 08/17/16 03:37 AM

I have heard of a few Hybrids being caught up the creek, it's got real tricky making it up the creek though so you need to be real careful. Give me a shout sometime when you are headed to Palo Pinto maybe I will have time to hit the lake also and can show you how to get up the creek if you dont already know.
I sell bait in Gordon so I should be pretty easy to find.
Sam

Re: Palo Pinto - 08/17/16 02:57 PM

Up the creek with this temp?? Sure thing man! Will do. Yeah I catch Blues over there in the winter. But Yeah, I'll def give ya a shout. Thanks bud!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum