Texas Fishing Forum

Where do the bigger sandies hide?

Posted By: ou.sooner

Where do the bigger sandies hide? - 08/01/16 03:35 PM

So I put my wife and kids on some sand bass this weekend. We all had fun but everything we caught was small.

So here is my question...........When I've located the fish but all we are catching are unders what should I do next to try and find some bigger fish?

Keep fishing through the small ones until the big ones show up?

Try a different spot?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Posted By: CHAMPION FISH

Re: Where do the bigger sandies hide? - 08/01/16 03:57 PM

Bigger fish will be under the smaller fish. If you are having problems getting your slab down past the smaller fish, try a heavier slab that will sink faster.

Re: Where do the bigger sandies hide? - 08/01/16 04:52 PM

I was bouncing a 1oz slab off the bottom.
Posted By: Luke57

Re: Where do the bigger sandies hide? - 08/01/16 05:38 PM

I always use 1.5 oz it gets to the bottom faster

Re: Where do the bigger sandies hide? - 08/01/16 07:13 PM

Thanks Luke and Champ. So I am taking away from your responses that its not so much how fast it is getting from the boat to the bottom but how long the 1oz us taking to return to the bottom when I am bouncing it. I appreciate the feedback!
Posted By: CHAMPION FISH

Re: Where do the bigger sandies hide? - 08/01/16 09:03 PM

Also try not lifting your rod so high so the slab stays in closer contact to the bottom.
Posted By: Capt. Michael Littlejohn

Re: Where do the bigger sandies hide? - 08/01/16 11:20 PM

What lake are you fishing. Some lakes just don't have hardly any large Sandbass. Or, not enough to target them...some lakes do though.
Posted By: SeaPro-Todd

Re: Where do the bigger sandies hide? - 08/01/16 11:33 PM

Lewisville? Also the small sandies tend to hang out with their peers, you may wany leave that group and go hunt for larger group. 2cents
Posted By: GasPasser

Re: Where do the bigger sandies hide? - 08/02/16 01:32 AM

I agree with SPT. I hate leaving biting fish but if size is what you are after, you have to go looking for larger size school. Going with larger slabs may help but if you are in a school of small fish, you will likely end up catching less with with a larger/heavier slab.

Re: Where do the bigger sandies hide? - 08/02/16 03:17 PM

Yes, I'm on Lewisville. Next time out I'll try to shorten my bounce. If that doesn't work I'll move to a different spot.

Thank you!
Posted By: Gone Fishin'

Re: Where do the bigger sandies hide? - 08/02/16 04:01 PM

Based on chasing the Sandies for the past twenty plus years on Richland Chambers, I'd agree with the couple of comments about "like size" fish schooling together. It's uncanny how often you'll be on a school of good size fish and the bite slows and then all you catch are small Sandies (or Yellow Bass on RC). Might as well raise the TM and move elsewhere. Often times you may only need to move 100' or so and find the school of big fish again.

I've never had much luck dropping a Slab below smaller fish and finding the larger ones. It's usually just more small fish regardless of the size Slab. We do put a 1.5oz. or 2oz. Slab on for the Hybrids but small, medium or large Sandies will all hammer a 1oz. RSR Shad or Minnow Slab. ( www.rsrlures.com ) We've not had much Top Water action the past couple of years on RC so not much recent history on finding bigger fish below smaller Top water fish.

Good Luck and keep playing around with a Slab and you'll figure out what works best in different scenarios!

Re: Where do the bigger sandies hide? - 08/02/16 04:50 PM

Thanks Gone Fishin'. I was using a chartreuse RSR.
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Where do the bigger sandies hide? - 08/02/16 05:41 PM

Originally Posted By: ou.sooner
I was bouncing a 1oz slab off the bottom.
+1, at Lavon last weekend we were fishing behind the schoolies. I was actually just letting my slab sit on the bottom. I was getting a magnum almost ever cast for a while.
Posted By: PiePuncher

Re: Where do the bigger sandies hide? - 08/04/16 02:04 AM

In the water. Use a larger lure that the smaller fish can't inhale...
Posted By: oakpointaggie

Re: Where do the bigger sandies hide? - 08/04/16 02:20 AM

So we went out Monday evening and had the same issue as ou sooner. I had fish all over the graph and on top. But I couldn't get one to bite on a slab with a jig above it. Is there just sometime when they don't bite slabs like they do in spring. I thought I would have been catching doubles with all the fish under us but I could only catch them by chunk a hellbender out to the schooling fish. Just curious about everyones thoughts.
Posted By: toofy

Re: Where do the bigger sandies hide? - 08/04/16 04:05 AM

Slightly unrelated, but how do you guys find these schools to begin with? Do you just idle around while watching the graph?
Posted By: Rudy Lackey

Re: Where do the bigger sandies hide? - 08/04/16 10:18 PM

Like winter just flop it, leave it touching bottom .
Posted By: SeaPro-Todd

Re: Where do the bigger sandies hide? - 08/05/16 12:46 AM

You will see guides trolling when in triple digit temps. Or you can down size your lures, or use spinners like mepps. Read Dennis Christian link regarding smaller online spinners to simulate trolling.

Originally Posted By: oakpointaggie
So we went out Monday evening and had the same issue as ou sooner. I had fish all over the graph and on top. But I couldn't get one to bite on a slab with a jig above it. Is there just sometime when they don't bite slabs like they do in spring. I thought I would have been catching doubles with all the fish under us but I could only catch them by chunk a hellbender out to the schooling fish. Just curious about everyones thoughts.
Posted By: fergy1

Re: Where do the bigger sandies hide? - 08/07/16 03:17 AM

How small are you catching? Are they keepers? When I am fishing to fry I like smaller ones. Less toxin. If you have them located on graph on a point or hump ffish the deeper side of them slab only. Hope it helps.
Posted By: Dennis Christian

Re: Where do the bigger sandies hide? - 08/08/16 10:31 PM

Here are my thoughts:
1. If you are catching smallish whites on structure, sometimes the bigger fish are together ona different part of the structure - even within casting distance. SO, cast around to different parts and see if part of it is holding bigger fish.
2. If you are catching smallish fish schooling on the surface, then is the time to use a slab or whatever and fish the bottom under them to catch bigger fish.
3. If you can't find bigger fish on the structure you are on, go looking on other structures.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum