Texas Fishing Forum

Tawakoni Boat Size?

Posted By: Skippy

Tawakoni Boat Size? - 07/29/16 01:50 AM

Hey Guys,

We're buying a house on Tawakoni and I need a boat. I've done some research and for what I'll be doing (hybrids/stripers, some bass and crappie, some family/tubing/skiing), I'm getting a deep V aluminum boat (Lund probably). My question is how long a boat do you think I need? I'm looking at a 17' but I've had some tell me nothing shorter than 18'. I'm not a guide. I won't be fishing every day. That said, I would like a boat that I can safely fish out of if the wind is blowing 20 mph. Let me know what your opinions are. I'd appreciate it.

Matt
Posted By: bronco71

Re: Tawakoni Boat Size? - 07/29/16 02:03 AM

To have room for family and to handle rough water on Tawakoni I would certainly go over 18'....20' would be better. I used to have a 16.5' double console and it was just too small even for 3 of us plus skis, tubes etc and was scary if caught out in big waves. Upgraded to 19' and huge difference.
Posted By: Kerry Dugan

Re: Tawakoni Boat Size? - 07/29/16 02:07 AM

http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/11741673/1

This one should work. grin
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: Tawakoni Boat Size? - 07/29/16 02:16 AM

I'm not a big fan of aluminum anything, especially if you're worried about waves
Posted By: TCK73

Re: Tawakoni Boat Size? - 07/29/16 02:17 AM

Originally Posted By: Kerry Dugan

I have always wanted one of those. I just don't need it when I fish with my kid and occasionally the wife. Nice rig you have for sure.

For the OP, I think 18'-20' deep v will be fine. I have been on Twok in 25 MPH wind and seen 18' deep V boats do ok. I have also seen 16-17' fish and ski boats having a bad day in that same wind. I actually followed one to the dock once to make sure they made it in ok. They didn't know I was keeping an eye on them, but they were having a rough go of it. They looked like two drowned rats when they docked, and the bilge pump was still pumping 5 minutes later.
Posted By: CamoKing

Re: Tawakoni Boat Size? - 07/29/16 02:34 AM

I love my aluminum boat!
Posted By: I love fishing

Re: Tawakoni Boat Size? - 07/29/16 05:21 AM

Skippy--what area were your buying the house? We've been looking the past month or so. We need a waterfront house. We've got an 18'deep-v aluminum boat. Handles great!
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Tawakoni Boat Size? - 07/29/16 06:19 AM

Originally Posted By: I love fishing
We've got an 18" deep-v aluminum boay. Handles great!

Handles great because it can fit in your hand. wink
Posted By: Tmckn

Re: Tawakoni Boat Size? - 07/29/16 09:43 AM

I'm jelly about the lake house.
Lund's are some great boats. I've had the pleasure of fishing a few self guided trips in Alaska and that's all that the lodge had, 18ft v hulls. Very popular up there.

I got caught once crossing a large body of water with rollers that could of been 4ft at a diagonal trying to get back to the lodge. That was the only time it was a little scary.
I would go with a 18ft for the HP rating and capacity.
Posted By: Andrew Taylor

Re: Tawakoni Boat Size? - 07/29/16 05:54 PM

I run a 21' CC skeeter and still manage to take em over the front sometimes banana
you can get out of any wind on that lake, just don't get caught on the wrong side roflmao
Posted By: bankwalker

Re: Tawakoni Boat Size? - 07/29/16 06:16 PM

I have a 22' CC fiberglass and love it. I think the weight makes as much of a difference on ride as anything. I would advise to get the largest boat you are comfortable with handling and can afford that is practical. Like a lot of things, you don't usually hear of folks saying they wish their boat was a little smaller. Especially if you are primarily going to target open water fish.
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Tawakoni Boat Size? - 07/29/16 07:29 PM

Get the biggest boat you can afford. You'll never regret it. Tawakoni can get rough really quick and you do not want to risk danger to your family. I highly recommend a center console deep V for what you are wanting to do. Skeeter, Mako and Blue Wave are all good rough water boats. Like the previous poster said no one ever wished their boat was smaller.
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: Tawakoni Boat Size? - 07/29/16 07:45 PM

18-19 feet is a good compromise for a lake fishing boat. Especially if you're going to be launching & fishing by yourself alot (might have to be able to manhandle the boat at the ramp once in awhile).

My center console is an 18 footer. Have never felt unsafe out on the local lakes, even in some truly horrific weather.
Posted By: ebl

Re: Tawakoni Boat Size? - 07/29/16 07:56 PM

Go to Holiday marine and look at what Matt Carwright has and ask him if he would consider something other than wha t he has.
Posted By: tin man 55

Re: Tawakoni Boat Size? - 07/29/16 08:28 PM

I've had 2 separate experiences on that lake. I did have a 20 foot skeeter, and got caught up north (north of the bridge) one day, and a 20 mph south wind kicked up. I was concerned even with that big boat trying to get back to the ramp. took it slow, and it still beat me to a pulp.

now, I have an 18'8" ranger aluminum. Tawakoni can get extremely rough very quickly, and although it's a great fishing boat, I would not even think about getting on that lake if the wind was going to get above 15 mph. my aluminum boat moves pretty good in small whitecaps, but the waves that I saw that day with my skeeter would have been tough (especially if the waves are hitting you on the side).

bottom line, for Tawakoni, as someone else said, buy as big as you can afford.

Re: Tawakoni Boat Size? - 07/29/16 09:00 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I should have said before that I'm dealing with a pretty strict budget, less than $20k. So that limits me as far as fiberglass deep v Skeeters and Rangers. Center consoles don't offer as much seating as I think I'm going to need. To get a boat new enough to be relatively reliable and big enough is becoming a challenge.
Posted By: Zip-ur-Fly

Re: Tawakoni Boat Size? - 07/29/16 09:02 PM

Skippy...welcone to the neighborhood. As the other guys pointed out, this lake can get rough fast I would stay in the 20 foot range. Depending on the day, you can fish out of almost anything and living here gives you the choice to stay or go. IMHO the issue is the skiing and tubing. I just taught my fourth grandson and his buddy to ski a couple of weekends ago. I like having room on the deck for tubes, skis, ropes. A good ladder that makes it easy to get in and out is imperitive. A good platform up front allows you to move the other riders up front for a better hole shot to get the skier up. I'm hoping my next boat will be a 210 Dauntless Boston Whaler.

Re: Tawakoni Boat Size? - 07/29/16 09:09 PM

Thanks for the info. Most the boats I'm looking at do have a "deck" in the back (fish and ski types) for just that reason. It's good to hear that I'm on the right track as far as that goes.

Re: Tawakoni Boat Size? - 07/30/16 02:43 AM

Here's another question... I don't prefer the "bass boats". Never loved the way they look but more importantly, they don't typically seat enough people for my needs. However, I've stumbled across a couple of boats that seem to fit my needs but aren't full on "deep v" like the Ranger Reatta and Skeeter SL. They have the windshield that I want as well as plenty of seating both front and back. But they aren't deep v. Can anyone speak to how this type of boat would do in rough water? I can afford a longer boat (19'-20') like this but fear it'll be rougher than a shorter deep v aluminum. Any input? Thanks again.
Posted By: TCK73

Re: Tawakoni Boat Size? - 07/30/16 11:48 AM

Compare length, weight, and dead rise at transom and you will have your answer about rough water performance. Any time you compromise and try to get a boat for dual purpose, there will be things you don't like when doing both things you are trying to do.

I fished out of a 1997 Champion 202 for 14 years in open water on Twok, Texoma, PK, Bridgeport and other lakes. I had no real problems in rough water doing so. There were times when you got really wet, had water come over the front. With that being said, yes, you can get by without a deep- V. Keep in mind that when the boat is sitting still, those deep V aluminum boats rock around a lot when you are walking around on it. That may or may not be a factor for you.
Posted By: dandeeks

Re: Tawakoni Boat Size? - 07/30/16 02:14 PM

I own a 20ft Stratos bass boat and store it on Tawokoni.
I primarily bass fish, but I still do venture deep and all around the lake. It is true what they say, it gets rough extremely quick. Something about the way it's situated for the north/south winds, it will gust hard out of nowhere and the whitecaps will come out with it.

That being said, I say as large as you can get. It will affect how much you get blown around, and how long it takes you to cross the lake with in choppy conditions.
Posted By: flexpress

Re: Tawakoni Boat Size? - 07/30/16 02:58 PM

tawkioni is dangerous when the wind is hi
Posted By: Zip-ur-Fly

Re: Tawakoni Boat Size? - 07/30/16 03:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Skippy
Here's another question... I don't prefer the "bass boats". Never loved the way they look but more importantly, they don't typically seat enough people for my needs. However, I've stumbled across a couple of boats that seem to fit my needs but aren't full on "deep v" like the Ranger Reatta and Skeeter SL. They have the windshield that I want as well as plenty of seating both front and back. But they aren't deep v. Can anyone speak to how this type of boat would do in rough water? I can afford a longer boat (19'-20') like this but fear it'll be rougher than a shorter deep v aluminum. Any input? Thanks again.

Lots of good input for you here. I'm sure this does not apply to the guys that are on the water a lot but I see a number of folks that simply do not know how to handle a boat, v hull or otherwise, in the wind. IMHO knowing how to attack the head winds and surf the tail wind is an art form all its own and can save your life.
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Tawakoni Boat Size? - 07/30/16 06:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Zip-ur-Fly
Originally Posted By: Skippy

Lots of good input for you here. I'm sure this does not apply to the guys that are on the water a lot but I see a number of folks that simply do not know how to handle a boat, v hull or otherwise, in the wind. IMHO knowing how to attack the head winds and surf the tail wind is an art form all its own and can save your life.

Absolute wisdom right there, if you don't know how to approach high waves in to and from behind a 30ft'er won't help. Talk to some of the guides on the lake, they can tell you how to manage rough seas. It could save your life.
thumb
Posted By: Luke98

Re: Tawakoni Boat Size? - 07/31/16 02:31 PM

I witnessed Tawakoni go from glass to oh my lord lol. With in 5 min there was 2.5-3' waves. Made for a stressful ride from the humps back to anchor where I had the truck. I'm thankful I was alone and did not have the family.

I was in an 18.5' aluminum bass boat.

Today I've got a Nautic Star 2110 hooked up to the truck and ready to get blood on the deck lol.
Posted By: lenahorse

Re: Tawakoni Boat Size? - 07/31/16 03:16 PM

lucas you made a wise decision, most CC owners are ex other styles including myself and never go back, I know I will not.

I wish I had just got a CC the 1st time out and been done with it. There are some really good used ones out there ready to go just have to look, they are well in your range plus if you ever wish to sell the CC will move very quick.
Posted By: Txmedic033

Re: Tawakoni Boat Size? - 07/31/16 09:01 PM

Big, heavy, and deep V are the three things I would want if I was buying a boat for Tawakoni. I run a 21' Robalo that is heavier than anything else I have looked at.
Posted By: Lake Side Lures

Re: Tawakoni Boat Size? - 08/02/16 12:55 AM

Sea Ark
EASY SERIES: EASY 200
The Easy models are one of the most popular among the SeaArk Family. These models combine family fun and fishing! They continue to offer the toughness while featuring options that allow you to fish, ski, or spend a lazy day on the lake. Both models feature large livewells, lots of storage including rod storage, lounge seats, a removeable table, and large fishing decks. The 15° V-Hull gives you the smooth ride in heavy chop to ensure a comfortable day on the lake.

SPECS
Length 20 ft 1 in
Beam 95 in
Bottom 72 in
Side Depth 26 in
Transom Height 25 in
Boat Weight 1550 lbs
Weight Capacity 2000 lbs
Persons Cap 8/1100
.125 Gauge Aluminum
Max HP 175
Posted By: Turf_doc1

Re: Tawakoni Boat Size? - 08/19/16 02:24 AM

I agree with tin man 55 I have a 19' alum. Triton and I will not go out if the wind is over 15mph..
Posted By: 7777

Re: Tawakoni Boat Size? - 08/20/16 11:44 PM

We come down to fish Tawakini about once a year. I have a 20' 72" Wareagle but we have to fish where the wind will let us fish. We had a buddy sink a 24' Seaark trying to come around 2 mile bridge to get back to thd ramp.

From what I have seen you need a BIG fiberglass for that lake. Ask and see what the guides are using. What they are depending on to get themselves and clients in and back every day is what you need.
Posted By: CB Aggie

Re: Tawakoni Boat Size? - 08/21/16 05:50 AM

My home lake on Livingston is no different than Twak when it comes to wave action. Probably worse. Get a deep V hull and respect the water. The south wind blows into my dock on the main lake and I have seen many sinking/capsized boats float by during bad storms. with 20k you may be looking into a good used boat. The lighter the boat, the more it will bounce around. We have a bass tracker and a 23 ft hurricane center console. The hurricane is over 4000 lbs and takes waves like a champ due to hull construction and weight. Rarely do I ever take the bass tracker out on that lake. Its like being in an empty beer can bobbing in those waves. A used hurricane gs211 may be good for your situation. We have the 23 ft version and have caught god knows how many white bass and stripers out of it. More than enough seating. Can ski, tube, fish, cruise. It does it all. I think ours is a 2004 and has been holding up great.
Posted By: BrianTx01

Re: Tawakoni Boat Size? - 08/21/16 02:03 PM

Even a 17' aluminum deep V boat is a pretty big boat. I have used my 16'5" aluminum deep v many times on Twakoni without problems. My general thought is my boat can't take it I really don't need to be out there.
Posted By: Ruff n Redi

Re: Tawakoni Boat Size? - 08/21/16 02:10 PM

Lots of folks talked about the size boat you need. I agree with the guy that said get the biggest that you can afford. No one mentioned motor size. Be sure to buy the Max power that is listed on the Coast Guard tag, since you want to ski with it. I am 68 and owned boats from 15' to my current 22' pontoon. room is one of the key factors I look at. If you can afford it the new tri\toon boats with the big motors will do anything you want to do anywhere. fish
Posted By: Grainraiser

Re: Tawakoni Boat Size? - 08/21/16 03:20 PM

Originally Posted By: BrianTx01
Even a 17' aluminum deep V boat is a pretty big boat. I have used my 16'5" aluminum deep v many times on Twakoni without problems. My general thought is my boat can't take it I really don't need to be out there.

I fish Tawakoni with a 17ft fiberglass bass boat. I fish that lake knowing I can't venture far from the ramp with that boat. Tawakoni can turn into a beast in a hurry.
Posted By: BrianTx01

Re: Tawakoni Boat Size? - 08/21/16 07:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Grainraiser
Originally Posted By: BrianTx01

I fish Tawakoni with a 17ft fiberglass bass boat. I fish that lake knowing I can't venture far from the ramp with that boat. Tawakoni can turn into a beast in a hurry.

There is a big difference between a 17' bass boat and a 17' deep v.
Posted By: redloon

Re: Tawakoni Boat Size? - 08/21/16 08:32 PM

There are some very nice used Mako 21', 22', and even up to 26' center console deep V boats down in Houston to be had for under $10,000.
There is a Mako 238 Walkaround posted on Dallas Craigslist for under 5,000 now.

Those older 1970 to 1980 Mako's were built like tanks. It might take a little looking on Craigslist to find the right one but they're out there.
Checkout Classicmako.com to see what some people have done with these boats and what they look like.

I have a 1972 Mako 17' Standard center console I picked up in Houston and a 1972 Mako 19' center console that picked up inn Allen, TX.
I use both of these on Lake Lavon - take the 19' when the wife wants to go fishing with me.
Posted By: SStohner

Re: Tawakoni Boat Size? - 08/22/16 03:29 AM

We just got a nautic star 224. We like it alot. I think they have cheaper smaller versions in your price range. We were looking at deep v aluminum and went with the Nautic star instead.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum