Texas Fishing Forum

Inks Lake is on fire!

Posted By: Dockskipper

Inks Lake is on fire! - 07/26/16 10:47 PM

I was out on Inks this last weekend and we were surrounded by topwater hybrids and stripers. We limited before 8 am with 15 fish both day's, biggest was a 34" Striper. Just go above the bridge and get as close to the outflow as possible. There was only one other boat up there with us and 3-5 schools up at any time.
Posted By: Duma

Re: Inks Lake is on fire! - 07/26/16 11:10 PM

Dang I should a went down there Sunday. We didn't do too bad above the Dam. Biggest was 33". Where you launch at?
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Inks Lake is on fire! - 07/27/16 03:01 AM

Nice fish! thumb
Posted By: BrandoA

Re: Inks Lake is on fire! - 07/27/16 01:30 PM

Inks has no fish....its suppose to be a secret
Posted By: mbsfish

Re: Inks Lake is on fire! - 07/27/16 01:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Dockskipper
There was only one other boat up there with us.

Well now that's going to change!

Re: Inks Lake is on fire! - 07/27/16 06:08 PM

I rarely fish Inks, and figured everyone could benefit. It is fun little lake to fish. Last weekend was the first time I have been up there since I fished there with Fermin close to 10 years ago. They are not the big fish I remembered but still some decent ones.
Posted By: BrandoA

Re: Inks Lake is on fire! - 07/27/16 06:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Dockskipper
I rarely fish Inks, and figured everyone could benefit. It is fun little lake to fish. Last weekend was the first time I have been up there since I fished there with Fermin close to 10 years ago. They are not the big fish I remembered but still some decent ones.

Inks gets stocked only when they open the flood gates. Last time was in 07. In normal times the gates open at least once every couple of yrs, stocking Inks. LBCC also put some hybrids in there this yr. Since there is so little pressure the fish tend to get huge. Last yr I got spooled by a big striper. Never could turn him.
Posted By: BrazosRiverTX

Re: Inks Lake is on fire! - 07/27/16 08:09 PM

Where do you launch at on Inks?

Re: Inks Lake is on fire! - 07/27/16 11:40 PM

Inks Lake State Park
Posted By: Duma

Re: Inks Lake is on fire! - 07/28/16 04:12 AM

Thanks skipper!!
Posted By: benp

Re: Inks Lake is on fire! - 07/28/16 02:33 PM

pm sent!

Re: Inks Lake is on fire! - 07/28/16 04:39 PM

Thanks for the original post Skipper! I was planning a quick trip to Buchannan today with my sons,( 7 years sand 10 years old). But I always get discouraged at Buchanan with off and on success that I've had last couple trips out and with kiddos if you can't keep them on fish then nobody is having fun. Anyways, I took them to Inks this morning and immediately on fish. Caught 25-30 fish in first hour on the water. We didn't keep any however there were many keepers mixed in. Probably caught 50 in hour and a half on the water. The boys loved it. Thanks for the tip. All fish caught on topwater.

Re: Inks Lake is on fire! - 07/28/16 06:41 PM

You're welcome, it has been some incredible action. I have been keeping it quiet for close to two months, and figured I would share for the folks with kids about to go back to school.

Re: Inks Lake is on fire! - 07/30/16 07:25 PM

Did anyone get out on Inks this morning?

Re: Inks Lake is on fire! - 07/31/16 03:20 AM

I'm planning on making a return trip out there tomorrow morning with my boys hoping the topwater bite is still on
Posted By: AggieBB

Re: Inks Lake is on fire! - 07/31/16 11:39 PM

Originally Posted By: brucevannguyen
Dang I should a went down there Sunday. We didn't do too bad above the Dam. Biggest was 33". Where you launch at?

Bruce and his Somerville hybrids that he claims he caught at Buchanan lol. You gotta stop doing that man. Nobody likes a liar.
Posted By: Windbreaker

Re: Inks Lake is on fire! - 08/01/16 04:56 PM

Thanks to dockskipper, I went down to see what all the hype was about. I love fishing new lakes, so I thought I would give it a try. My dad is a retired disabled vet and he lives in Killeen so I picked him up along the way.

We fished Friday morning, Friday evening and Saturday morning. I thought it would be crowded, but there was only us, a guide boat (using live bait) and one other boat each morning.

The surfacing was not what I expected. Must have slowed down from last weekend and from even Thursday morning when BrazosRiverTX went with the boys. We did pretty good regardless. Must have caught 10 or 12 each time. Once the guide boat showed up it was hard to compete with the live bait and the chumming of the water. But I think he helped bring the fish over and helped get us some. We fished primarily top water and it was fun. We caught some keepers and some unders. Hooked a huge LMB, and broke a rusty hook that I had on one of my topwater baits that I have had sitting around. I know, I know, I should have changed the hooks. I am still regretting that.

I also pulled in this guy.....

When we finished fishing the spillway, we were headed back to the state park and stopped in at the bridge. We noticed some top water action there and we got a couple casts at some surfacing Hyrbid before they were gone. They come up and leave too quick to get to them, so we sat and waited a little and saw them come up again, but they were too hard to catch up to. Worth checking in though to see if there are on the flat there.

Thank you so much Dockskipper for the tip!!! Next time just let us know a little sooner! lol, I really do appreciate it, My dad had a great time as well! thumb

Re: Inks Lake is on fire! - 08/02/16 03:49 AM

I went back out Sunday morning hoping to get on the same topwater action. We got on the water at 6:30 and went straight to dam and caught several fish but only had 3 keepers. Nothing like the fast and furious action like Thursday morning, we left there and drove around the main lake and couldn't find a single school, went back to the dam to give that another try and didn't catch anything else, off the water at 9:00 with only 3 keepers. Big difference in Thursday which stinks cause we had one school on the main lake that stuck around long enough to catch at least 20 without moving 100 yards.

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum