Texas Fishing Forum

It's time for #2 Mepps on Cedar Creek

Posted By: Dennis Christian

It's time for #2 Mepps on Cedar Creek - 07/17/16 11:32 AM

The smaller shad are in the lake now and white bass are on them. So, I have had to switch from a #4 to a #2 Mepps. A #4 may get an occasional bite, but a #2 will get a fish every cast if you are on fish. When using a #2 I put a 3/16 oz mash-on weight about 16 inches up the line to add enough weight to cast and to get it to sink faster. I've been catching double limits this way in 2 to 3 hours over the past 10 days. Look for continuous, so;id reflections just off the bottom in 14 to 18 fow around the edges of humps, points or drop-offs. I found then at Saint Annes Point East, Swing-set Hump, Flagpole Point, Key Ranch Drop=off, Merimac Point and the south edge of Spillway Hump.
Posted By: crapyetr

Re: It's time for #2 Mepps on Cedar Creek - 07/17/16 11:40 AM

i was raised on a #2 Mepps...squirrel tail...silver blade...didn't know there was another spinner bait...i've used #5's and caught some really nice bass...gr8 lure

Re: It's time for #2 Mepps on Cedar Creek - 07/17/16 11:43 AM

Also, presentation for a #2 is different than for a #4. For a #2 I leave a little slack in the line and sort of jump start it each drag while raising the rod up or dragging the rod to the side. I don't point the rod at the line like I do for a #4.
Posted By: SeaPro-Todd

Re: It's time for #2 Mepps on Cedar Creek - 07/17/16 01:15 PM

Very good info, DC. Thanks! I do a #2 everyday grin
Posted By: SteveStrasemeier

Re: It's time for #2 Mepps on Cedar Creek - 07/18/16 11:01 PM

Match the hatch. Was on Lavon Saturday when they started busting top water. I could barely see the little shad they were chasing.

Re: It's time for #2 Mepps on Cedar Creek - 07/18/16 11:12 PM

Was out today and found whites down on structures: Long Ridge, Iron Wall Hump, Spillway Hump, The Rock Pile, The Tennis Courts and Sunken Island. In depths from 14 fow to 21 fow.
Posted By: beltonbill

Re: It's time for #2 Mepps on Cedar Creek - 07/19/16 01:36 PM

Thanks for the update. Great tip on lure size selection.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum