Texas Fishing Forum

Headed to Lake Greeson, Arkansas Next Month, Some Questions........

Posted By: psycho0819

Headed to Lake Greeson, Arkansas Next Month, Some Questions........ - 07/15/16 03:07 AM

Thanks for looking. As the title, I will be going to Lake Greeson in the middle of August. I realize that's not the best time of year to try out a new lake, but have been wanting to go and got the family to agree to doing our yearly vacation there. I figure I'll have at least two full days on the water, and a few hours here and there over a couple more days.

No problem with the out of state license.

Any special regulations involved with taking my Texas boat to Arkansas? Are they reciprocal on registration and the like?

I've read where they require operator certification classes, but I beat the age requirement of that one.

Would like to target striper, but wondering if I'll be able to catch any bait given the temps and clear water conditions there. Anyone with any experience on this lake? Got any advice? I'm not above using artificials either, just figure bait would be better if I could find some.

If the striper fishing looks too iffy, I'm not against hitting some brush piles for crappie, as I understand Greeson ranks in the top 5 crappie lakes in the state. Shouldn't be too difficult drowning a few minnows.

Anyway, looking forward to checking out some new water, and scouting for the striper run next spring. Who knows, I might even get to spend some time with the family to, :0 Any experiences or advice is welcome.
Posted By: Duma

Re: Headed to Lake Greeson, Arkansas Next Month, Some Questions........ - 07/15/16 06:38 PM

Go to the first walmart in Arkansas and get you non residential fishing license. 3 day license cost $16. Greeson stop stocking stipers a long time ago. There's non left in the lake. I was there last month. Did real good trolling small crank bait along the shore line for walleyes,pikes,big white bass,and some crappies. Water is clear and green you can see 3 -4 feet down on the South end. That is where l was catching them. I talk to the game warden there. Nothing else you would need. Just a non resident license. Deepest part of the lak is 160 feet.Whites and kentucky spotted bass love slabs.Find a hump and they are there. Trolling on top humps is also good for whites. Good luck.

Re: Headed to Lake Greeson, Arkansas Next Month, Some Questions........ - 07/15/16 07:11 PM

No size limits to most fish there at Greeson

Re: Headed to Lake Greeson, Arkansas Next Month, Some Questions........ - 07/15/16 07:12 PM

Very beutiful lake.
Posted By: psycho0819

Re: Headed to Lake Greeson, Arkansas Next Month, Some Questions........ - 07/16/16 01:28 AM

Hmm, thanks for the heads up. Wasn't aware of the absence of striper in the lake. Guess I don't have to worry about catching any shad. Really kind of disappointing, but I can adapt.

We'll be staying at Self Creek and running out of there. We'll be there during the week, so I'm not expecting it to be super crowded. Looking forward to getting away. Looks like a beautiful lake.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum