Texas Fishing Forum

Trolling Rig Ideas for Striper / Hybrid

Posted By: squirrelhunter09

Trolling Rig Ideas for Striper / Hybrid - 07/05/16 10:31 PM

Just wondering what everyone else does for trolling for stripers? I also use live shad, swimbaits, and vertical jigging, and I know many of you would suggest those over trolling but I'm do troll from time to time especially to find fish. Any suggestions on what to use besides the old hellbender and pet spoon method?
Posted By: Bigbob_FTW

Re: Trolling Rig Ideas for Striper / Hybrid - 07/05/16 11:38 PM

Posted By: jbobo

Re: Trolling Rig Ideas for Striper / Hybrid - 07/06/16 02:27 AM

Ronrigs or Capt. Mack's like the picture above (except I usually use flukes or sassy shad) works really well for me.

Re: Trolling Rig Ideas for Striper / Hybrid - 07/06/16 03:07 AM

i usually troll at a slow speed like 2.2 knts. you have any idea what depth something like that goes dependent upon speed?

Re: Trolling Rig Ideas for Striper / Hybrid - 07/06/16 03:07 AM

I picked up one of those a while back, just need to invest in the hardware for it.

Re: Trolling Rig Ideas for Striper / Hybrid - 07/06/16 03:41 AM

The ronrigs have clip on weights from 1 oz. to 6 oz. You can add how much you want. I normally have a 4 oz. with 9 1 oz. jigheads and let out about 50 to 75 ft. of line, depending on the depth I am targeting. You have to experiment and find when it drags bottom at the depth you want. Just make sure it is a clean bottom without trees, stumps, or rocks.
Posted By: Reelmates

Re: Trolling Rig Ideas for Striper / Hybrid - 07/06/16 04:35 PM

Lose one of those rigs and you will have to go to the bank for more money, I lost one and figured I 'de lost about 40$$.
Posted By: PKfishin

Re: Trolling Rig Ideas for Striper / Hybrid - 07/06/16 04:39 PM

Here's what I did at PK and Texoma back when the water was clear and you could still have success with lures. I put two heavy 3/4 oz or bigger jigs above a deep running crank bait. Bomber fat free shad seems to work best. This rig will begin to hang up at 20 feet. At PK in 2014 I could get stripers to come up and take this when they were lounging in 40 feet of water. You will need to rig this using a barrel swivel and 40-50 LB fluorocarbon leader or your line will break if you get more than one striper on. I've had them break 30 LB test mono, as there's no drag between those jigs.

I've used umbrella rigs and they work. Expensive when they get caught in a tree.

Worked well for stripers until the big rains. Too much bait now

You can catch three small stripers or sandbass but big stripers will break off

I have abandoned lures in favor of live bait this year. Bought a greyline bait tank. Once you have live shad, catching stripers is just a matter of finding them.

Re: Trolling Rig Ideas for Striper / Hybrid - 07/07/16 01:10 AM

Originally Posted By: Reelmates
Lose one of those rigs and you will have to go to the bank for more money, I lost one and figured I 'de lost about 40$$.

I lost 2 at the same time in the same tree last year at PK. I had tears in my eyes when I called Ron to tell him about it. I don't troll them at PK when I am alone anymore.
Posted By: TCK73

Re: Trolling Rig Ideas for Striper / Hybrid - 07/07/16 01:43 AM

PK has a wicked amount of old trees lurking below where most people think there is none.
Posted By: PKfishin

Re: Trolling Rig Ideas for Striper / Hybrid - 07/07/16 05:57 PM

PK is live bait land now anyway. Why troll lures when you can limit out in an hour with live bait.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum